Newbie from Indianapolis

This is the place where you can introduce yourself, and include a photo if so desired.

Newbie from Indianapolis

Postby JOHNFROMINDY » Mon Aug 21, 2006 12:29 pm

My name is John Spratt and my wife's name is Rose. I am a retired engineer with interests in Street Rods, Woodworking, Golf, Stained Glass, Grandkids, and a few other things.

After reading what seemed like thousands of posts on this forum, I finally bit the bullet. Harbor Freight had their 2000 # trailers on sale ($299) in the same week that they e-mailed me a 20% off coupon. I couldn't resist.

I am planning on building a 5 ft X 10 ft (approx.). I have extended the frame 9 inches front and rear using 2 inch X 1/8 inch angle . I have extended the tongue 22 inches using 2 1/2 inch square tubing with 1/4 inch wall, connected back through the first two crossmembers. I would welcome any opinions on the wisdom of what I have done so far.

Now for a couples of questions that I hope those of you with vast teardrop experience can help me with:
1. I am planning on a "rubber" roof. I don't know yet what material to use (liquid rubber roofing, TPO, sheet rubber goods, ???????) Anybody out there with personal experience?
2. If I decided to skin the sides with aluminum, what I have read would suggest .032 thickness is best. What I have not been able to determine is: a. What alloy to use? b. mill finish or anodized? c. best way to attach aluminum to plywood. d. Any recommended suppliers in the Central Indiana area?

I am hoping to gather information and materials to make this a winter project, and have it ready roll by spring.

We have had tent trailers and motor homes in the past and found drawbacks to all of them. We are looking forward to the teardrop lifestyle.
JOHNFROMINDY
Teardrop Inspector

Postby Dean in Eureka, CA » Mon Aug 21, 2006 1:33 pm

Welcome John,
I think Chip will be able to give some good advice on the TPO roof deal, if he likes you, he'll offer you some pickle juice...
Oh... You'll probably be hounded about getting a dutch oven from Indy Tom also!
Dean in Eureka, CA
The Fogcrawler

Postby Miriam C. » Mon Aug 21, 2006 1:38 pm

Welcome John,
If you've been reading then you know how very important pictures are. 8) 8) 8) I hope you enjoy our brand of fun. ;)

Aunti M
“Forgiveness means giving up all hope for a better past.â€
Miriam C.
our Aunti M

Postby angib » Mon Aug 21, 2006 5:08 pm

John,

Those frame mods sound fine. A 2-1/2" square x 1/4" tongue will definitely be strong enough!

Andrew
angib
5000 Club
5000 Club

Postby Jst83 » Mon Aug 21, 2006 7:19 pm

Welcome John from another newbee. I'm just east of you in Greenfield. I'm sure you'll find all the help you need on here. There is a lot of nice people who are more than willing to answer quistions. Scott
Jst83
3000 Club
3000 Club

Postby mikeschn » Mon Aug 21, 2006 7:24 pm

Hey John,

Welcome to the forum...

I don't think there is much in the way of rubber roofs here yet, but having just finished covering my hinge with EDPM rubber roofing, that's something to consider.

The biggest downside is the color. Black. It'll get hot in there.

But Bev has tried PVC and Chip has tried TPO. More information on that here

Have fun and let us know what you decide!

Mike...
The quality is remembered long after the price is forgotten, so build your teardrop with the best materials...
mikeschn
Site Admin

Postby PapaJ » Mon Aug 21, 2006 7:27 pm

Hi John & Rose.

From another newbie who just signed on.

Tom
When I die, I want to go quietly in my sleep, like my grandfather. Not kicking and screaming like the passengers in his car.
PapaJ
Donating Member

Re: Newbie from Indianapolis

Postby Kurt (Indiana) » Tue Aug 22, 2006 6:19 am

JOHNFROMINDY wrote:My name is John Spratt and my wife's name is Rose. I am a retired engineer with interests in Street Rods, Woodworking, Golf, Stained Glass, Grandkids, and a few other things.

After reading what seemed like thousands of posts on this forum, I finally bit the bullet. Harbor Freight had their 2000 # trailers on sale ($299) in the same week that they e-mailed me a 20% off coupon. I couldn't resist.

John & Rose, welcome . We talked at the Spring Mill State Park gathering in May. I'm glad to see you are following through with your teardrop.
This forum will eventually answer most any question you have. Even some you didn't have. :thinking:

Best of luck, you came to the right place.
:thumbsup:
CRA2023 Web Site
"Wall of Fame 2011-2021"

Kurt (Indiana) Director "Hoosier" chapter
Kurt (Indiana)
Donating Member

Postby Tripmaker » Tue Aug 22, 2006 9:39 am

Hi John, It looks like there are a bunch of us newbies here in Indiana. I have not yet jumped into building as I am looking at what is available in complete units and/or pre-fab kits. A kit would save a bunch of assembly time and lots of bad language. I would like a 5 x 10 as well and don't know if any kits that size are available. If anyone has any suggestions let me know.
Jim

I started with nothing and still have most of it left.
Tripmaker
500 Club

Postby sid » Tue Aug 22, 2006 9:53 am

Hey Tripmaker... I sent you a PM on info about the Yoder Toter. They make a dandy 5x10. We just picked up a 5x8 from them last week and love it. Camped 3 nights on the road after picking it up and it is super.

:applause: :applause:
sid n side
"If you're going through hell, keep going......" Winston Churchhill

Side by Side - completed October 2008
sid
Donating Member

Return to Newbies, Introduce yourselves