1/8" ply problem--need help advice...

Anything to do with mechanical, construction etc

1/8" ply problem--need help advice...

Postby kayakrguy » Mon Aug 21, 2006 9:21 am

Hi Folks,

Hey what would life be like without problems, right?

Guess what...? <G>

The supplier who can get me 5x5x1/8 Baltic Birch and 4X8x1/8 Luan said that both are interior grade. Ok for ceiling, perhaps.

But the roof? Now people have been saying that they have been using 1/8" ply for their roofs. Did anyone use INTERIOR grade ply for this purpose and has it held up?

Not sure I can get exterior grade but I can try. Would use 1/4" exterior for the roof but people have said that they have problems with the 19" radius on the Benroy--1/4" ply cracks...

Experience, advice appreciated...

Thanks to alll..

Jim
A disposition to preserve, and an ability to improve, taken together, would be my standard of a statesman...

But what is liberty without wisdom, and without virtue? It is the greatest of all possible evils; for it is folly, vice, and madness, without tuition or restraint.

Edmund Burke
kayakrguy
Lifetime member

Postby Steve_Cox » Mon Aug 21, 2006 9:29 am

With any exterior wood on a Tear Drop, I would be sure to use a coating on the surfaces and endgrain that would exclude moisture. That being said, if it is water tight, it makes no difference about the grade, exterior or interior. Myself and some others used boat building epoxy to encapsulate the wood parts that were exposed to the elements. Other people have a different approach. The key is, if you want the TearDrop to not rot or delaminate, you must encapsulate. :lol:
Steve
Steve_Cox
4000 Club
4000 Club

Postby mosportsmen » Mon Aug 21, 2006 12:21 pm

I would agree. The only thing about exterior ply is that it is made to hold up outside...... for a while. Most ply is made with water resistant glue. Encapsulating interior grade ply is better that exterior ply. Building boats many of us think the wood is really just a carrier for the epoxy and fiberglass and it doesn't really matter what the wood is.
mosportsmen
Teardrop Advisor

Postby kayakrguy » Mon Aug 21, 2006 5:27 pm

Steve and Missou...

'Encapsulate'...well, I was going to prime and paint two coats of paint on the ply. Not sure that is enuf for the edges, though. Anyhow, does paint qualify for 'encapsulate' ??? I will not be using aluminum or fiber glass...

Thanks,

Jim
A disposition to preserve, and an ability to improve, taken together, would be my standard of a statesman...

But what is liberty without wisdom, and without virtue? It is the greatest of all possible evils; for it is folly, vice, and madness, without tuition or restraint.

Edmund Burke
kayakrguy
Lifetime member

Postby Miriam C. » Mon Aug 21, 2006 7:23 pm

Jim,
If I understand, what we really need most is to put marine epoxy on the end-grains. I won't put anything else there because I want my glue to stick. The other side of that is my glue is water proof but doesn't sink in. :roll:

Home Depot sells a marine grade epoxy kit for $18 a pint on sale. It is made by bondo. I don't think the ends will take very much and if you are painting any color change won't effect it.

;)
Miriam
“Forgiveness means giving up all hope for a better past.â€
Miriam C.
our Aunti M

Postby kayakrguy » Tue Aug 22, 2006 8:54 am

Hi Miriam,

Have you used the Marine epoxy from Home Despot? I would like to know how 'forgiving' you found it in terms of work time....eg, the time you have to put it on before it hardens too much to use...

Jim

Edmund Burke
kayakrguy
Lifetime member

Postby Miriam C. » Tue Aug 22, 2006 9:51 am

kayakrguy wrote:Hi Miriam,

Have you used the Marine epoxy from Home Despot? I would like to know how 'forgiving' you found it in terms of work time....eg, the time you have to put it on before it hardens too much to use...

Jim

Not yet! I am still waiting for wood fill to dry and staining. The package reads 30min working time. Most are that way. I guess you just mix a small amount at a time. I need to get my ends done and may do that as soon as the stain drys. I think the end grain will do better if I have it laying down. No running down the sides.

Most of the suppliers have smaller packages. I just hate to order stuff. :roll:

If it is hard to work with I will put it under the air conditioner and order. :thumbsup:
“Forgiveness means giving up all hope for a better past.â€
Miriam C.
our Aunti M

Postby EZ » Tue Aug 22, 2006 10:55 am

Jim, here is a link to another thread on the epoxy topic.

http://www.tnttt.com/viewtopic.php?t=9469&highlight=

I have finished "encapsulating" with thinned epoxy and painting my camper and it turned out really well. I feel that the $40 and time it took to coat it with epoxy/sanding was well worth it. It is absolutely waterproof with only a little extra work and expense. I also have no trim on my camper edges but the routered corners turned out nice and are hard as well thanks to the epoxy.

I have also read that latex house paint holds up better painted over epoxy than just primered wood (see the link regarding amateur boat building near the top of the thread).

I was trying to go cheap but after using this method on the sailboat I built I am sold on the advantages. I think it is only really considered encapsulating if you coat all surfaces (like the inside and outside of a boat). I think......
:?

Ed

This is a lousey quality picture but the edges are all about 1/4" radius

Last edited by EZ on Tue Aug 22, 2006 2:17 pm, edited 2 times in total.
EZ
Donating Member

Postby Ira » Tue Aug 22, 2006 2:05 pm

I can't even pay attention to this subject:

I'm too enamored with Steve's great new avatar.

There's a dignity and determination in that photo that will assure us all peace in our time and total spiritual enlightenment.

Even me.
Here we go again!
Ira
Forum Storyteller

Decisions....

Postby kayakrguy » Wed Aug 23, 2006 7:18 am

Hi folks,

Based on what was said here, I decided to go with 4x 8x1/8 Luan for the roof with the epoxy sealer recommended by Steve and also will likely use deck paint as the finish material....have ordered the Luan. I decided on Luan because it gives me a bit more wiggle room in sizing etc.

Thank you,. everyone!

Jim

Edmund Burke
kayakrguy
Lifetime member

Postby kayakrguy » Wed Aug 23, 2006 7:45 am

Hi Ed,

Your T looks great! I think you're right about the epoxy sealer...I would rather spend a bit more money on sealer than go cheap and have the roof peeling off in the wind...

You, Mike, Steve and almost everyone who paints has recommeded the epoxy sealer and that is just the kind of think newbies like me need to avoid major messups.

Hey, if you put a sail on that T would it float? Just kidding....I know you built a boat earlier...but if you put a deck under the T....a houseboat T? <g>

Jim

Edmund Burke
kayakrguy
Lifetime member

Postby kayakrguy » Thu Aug 24, 2006 6:39 am

Ed,

I checked the thread you posted here and went to the website you gave for the epoxy...I assume the '$39 you refer to is the gallon of laminating epoxy?

Thanks,

Jim

Edmund Burke
kayakrguy
Lifetime member

Postby EZ » Thu Aug 24, 2006 10:25 am

EZ
Donating Member

Return to Teardrop Construction Tips & Techniques