Door T mouldings and weather strip questions....

Anything to do with mechanical, construction etc

Door T mouldings and weather strip questions....

Postby kayakrguy » Wed Aug 23, 2006 7:17 am

Folks,

Here's progress report:

I cut out the doors. I decided to go with ROUNDED doors....I figure if I can't get them to work I can always square them off and do them that way. Besides, I always consult a Higher Power when making decisions like this and SHE really likes the look of the doors on Madjacks build site and what she likes....

The door openings are ummmm.....ahhhhhhh....generous<g> 32" widex 37" high. The big debate was whether the dimensions should be switched <G>

Some questions about mouldings and weather stripping....

1) Has anyone used Lil Bear T moldings and seals and have they worked well? The T moulding is presented as easily bendable...?

2) Are there other T moldings and weather stripping you would recommend? Madjack has recommended some from Austin that look very good...?

Next, we cut out the 3/8" offset for the hatch...gulp!

Thanks again for any advice, warnings etc...

Jim
A disposition to preserve, and an ability to improve, taken together, would be my standard of a statesman...

But what is liberty without wisdom, and without virtue? It is the greatest of all possible evils; for it is folly, vice, and madness, without tuition or restraint.

Edmund Burke
kayakrguy
Lifetime member

Postby Loader » Wed Aug 23, 2006 7:45 am

Jim, I just ordered (Monday) my aluminum trim from So-Cal Teardrops, have yet to received it, they told me it comes ready to install/bend, no annealing required.

Their web is in "Rich's List", give them a call. I'm sure Grant's is good stuff. I bought my windows and galley hinge from him, great service, great advice.

I bought the trimloc seal (like TomS has installed) for the galley from Austin Hardware, again, no complaints.

As for weather stripping, I'll just pick that up at a local big box store.
Earl & Kerry

"Loader"

Blue Yonder Build Thread - viewtopic.php?f=50&t=42611

ImageImage
Loader
Platinum Donating Member

Postby bledsoe3 » Wed Aug 23, 2006 8:35 am

I used the t-moulding from Grant and his seal to go with it. It worked well for me.
http://www.tnttt.com/gallery/image.php?image_id=10167
If you do what you've always done, you'll get what you've always got.
bledsoe3
3000 Club
3000 Club

Postby kayakrguy » Fri Aug 25, 2006 11:05 am

Hi guys,

Thanks for sharing the information about the seals and trim, I really do appreciate it. I cannot get the price page for RW Johnson to work...did you have any problem with that, Earl?

Bledsoe--I do like the looks of that door! It looks like the trim curved ok.
My door is rectangular with curved corners (Higher Power's choice) so my curves are tighter than yours. Do you think Grant's stuff would work?

I don't mind having to kerf if necessary, my REAL concern is a good, watertight seal--practicality, functionality uber alles! (except when the Higher Power decides otherwise <g>)

jim
A disposition to preserve, and an ability to improve, taken together, would be my standard of a statesman...

But what is liberty without wisdom, and without virtue? It is the greatest of all possible evils; for it is folly, vice, and madness, without tuition or restraint.

Edmund Burke
kayakrguy
Lifetime member

Postby bledsoe3 » Fri Aug 25, 2006 11:26 am

Jim, I don't know how tight your radius is so I can't say for sure. Call Grant and tell him what you got and he'll be able to tell you if his will work.
If you do what you've always done, you'll get what you've always got.
bledsoe3
3000 Club
3000 Club

Postby Loader » Sat Aug 26, 2006 10:01 am

Jim,

I didn't buy from RW Johnson, but from So Cal, the prices on right on the web site next to the item. RW Johnson, I think you have to download the order form to see the prices.

Agree, when in doubt give one of the companies a call, they can help you decide on what the right product is.
Earl & Kerry

"Loader"

Blue Yonder Build Thread - viewtopic.php?f=50&t=42611

ImageImage
Loader
Platinum Donating Member

Postby asianflava » Sat Aug 26, 2006 3:14 pm

I only had to deal with a slight bend at the top of my doors. I used T-molding that I bought from the local metal supply house.
asianflava
8000 Club
8000 Club

Postby kayakrguy » Sat Aug 26, 2006 6:49 pm

Earl,

Thanks for the heads up--just because all T parts suppliers are in CA doen't mean all T Parts suppliers have the same name<g>--my mind gets exercise jumping to conclusions <g>

jim

Edmund Burke
kayakrguy
Lifetime member

Postby dacrazyrn » Sat Aug 26, 2006 7:40 pm

You can find T-moulding at local flooring stores. I finallly found some near me (after I bought from So-Cal) that would have been perfect. But, remember...you have to anneal it still. That is work and tricky (sometime). And the stuff I recieved was pretty soft.
dacrazyrn
Teardrop Master

more stuff

Postby jay » Sun Aug 27, 2006 10:50 am

jay
Donating Member

Postby grant whipp » Sun Sep 03, 2006 12:57 pm

kayakrguy wrote:Hi guys,

... Bledsoe--I do like the looks of that door! It looks like the trim curved ok.
My door is rectangular with curved corners (Higher Power's choice) so my curves are tighter than yours. Do you think Grant's stuff would work? ...

jim

Greetings, Jim!

Life has been extremely busy for me, lately, and I don't always get to check out this 'Board as much as I'd like to, so please excuse my tardiness in replying to your questions.

As noted before, not all T-Moldings are created equal! MY experience with the stuff from flooring supply outfits tells me that it is hard and not bendable unless you anneal it. However, I have heard from others that they have gotten some that is quite bendable. R.W. Johnson's T-Molding is quite bendable, but it is the more traditional (on some models) 3/4" across the top, and even IT has its limits as to how tight it will go. I know nothing about So-Cal's T-Molding, but I can tell you that the stuff I carry (1" across the top) is bendable to about a 12" radius, but may require a little "messaging" of a wrinkle or two. You CAN get it to a 5" radius (maybe less) by relieving the material on the INSIDE portion of the radius (no, NOT nipping or pie-cutting it!). If you send me an e-mail at [email protected] , I'll send you some pictures of how you can do this (cleanly & attractively!) with a pair sheetmetal shears and a file.

I'VE never attempted annealing, but I know folks who have with excellent results, and I know pros who do it all the time. But even annealed, aluminum HAS ITS LIMITS!

Good Luck with your project, and as always ...

CHEERS!

Grant
Celebrating Retirement after over 32 Years of Building, Promoting, Supporting, Supplying, Living the Lifestyle, and Loving Teardrop Trailers!
"Life Moves a Little Slower When You're On Teardrop Time"
The nature of Life, itself, is change ... "Those who matter, don't mind, and those who mind, don't matter."
grant whipp
Teardrop Manufacturer

Return to Teardrop Construction Tips & Techniques