Alternate Mattress

Anything to do with camping, fundamentals, secrets, etc...

Alternate Mattress

Postby mfkaplan » Sat Aug 26, 2006 11:27 pm

Just got my new wonderful mattress from Knox Foam. First time out, I used an air mattress, which while quite comfortable sleeping, was like a roller coaster when trying to get dressed or even just getting into bed. The new mattress is 3' and medium firm grade. After I ordered, I had second thoughts about it not being thick enough. Its very comfortable and I don't hit bottom. I'm a small person so someone else might need a thicker pad. It is also costom cut. Atwin was too small and a full was too big. I made it a simple cover with some leftover heavy fabric and used velcro to close it up. I'll probably use a eggcrate topper on it. Looking foward to comfortable nights and not fighting with my mattress. Cheaper, lighter, and fits better than the Wallyworld mattress. :thumbsup:

Mary
Mom's Nest
Mary
Mom's Nest
mfkaplan
Gold Donating Member

Postby Mary K » Sat Aug 26, 2006 11:37 pm

Thanks for the info. I was looking into buying a foam pad for my TD (I got a long way to go yet till Im ready for the mattress). I was wanting to do 3 pads with a seamed cover so I could fold the mattress. (see my Album for my drawing)

So the 3" is thick enough? I was pricing the 4".. none of it is cheap...must be me , I just have a hard time spending $250 for a mattress/foam pad for camping...

Mk

P.S.
http://knoxfoam.com/mattresstoppers/foammat.htm Is this where you bought yours?? Nice prices :)

OR You can have your cut to size. SWEET!!
http://www.knoxfoam.com/cgi-bin/SoftCar ... 1156669512
Mary K

I don't know half of you half as well as I should like; and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve. Bilbo Baggins
Mary K
6000 Club
6000 Club

Postby asianflava » Sat Aug 26, 2006 11:55 pm

Good for you Mary, I'm glad it worked out for you. I'm shure the new mattress is a big improvement over the air bed. I've done a lot of sleeping on an air mattress, getting out of bed never did get any easier.
asianflava
8000 Club
8000 Club

Postby Elumia » Sun Aug 27, 2006 12:26 am

If you have an IKEA near, check out their matresses. Also, if you go to the store, check out the final sale area, (usally damaged and returned goods) you may find something that has a cut in it, but just fine for camping.

Another idea there, you can find tabletops and cabinet door fronts that you can build around if you don't have something designed up front.
Elumia
500 Club

Postby Mightydog » Mon Aug 28, 2006 5:00 pm

Thanks for the tip, Elumia!

After pricing the Knox site, we discovered a mattress at IKEA for the same amount of money--including the freight--BUT we get a memory foam topper as part of the deal!
Mightydog
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby Juli n Bill » Thu Oct 26, 2006 2:56 pm

Bill and I just picked up a nice full size foam mattress with memory foam in a heavy cotton canvas cover for $100.00 at Ikea. It fits perfectly in our tear and was 50% off in the AS-IS department. Original price was $199.00
http://tinyurl.com/qmc4h
We had been using cheap foam pads that we had picked up at Costco a couple of years ago and they were bottoming out on us.
Juli n Bill
Teardrop Master

Postby mikeschn » Thu Oct 26, 2006 6:30 pm

That looks to be just like the one we got from Walmart... very nice mattress. And since Home Depot is sold out of the queen sized one, this is a good source...

Got that Miriam?

Mike...
The quality is remembered long after the price is forgotten, so build your teardrop with the best materials...
mikeschn
Site Admin

Postby asianflava » Thu Oct 26, 2006 8:43 pm

The IKEA down the road from me hasn't opened yet.
asianflava
8000 Club
8000 Club

Postby Miriam C. » Fri Oct 27, 2006 10:41 am

mikeschn wrote:That looks to be just like the one we got from Walmart... very nice mattress. And since Home Depot is sold out of the queen sized one, this is a good source...

Got that Miriam?

Mike...

Yes, Thank you! I already bought a mattress from JC Pennys. Still need to get the topper cause it is way too firm.
:D 8)
“Forgiveness means giving up all hope for a better past.â€
Miriam C.
our Aunti M

Postby b.bodemer » Fri Oct 27, 2006 1:47 pm

I think the most important thing is the mattress gives you a great night sleep..............so there's lots of different choices depending on your own personal comfort level.

The funny thing is I'm still sleeping on my new mattress for the tear. Had to put in on top of my mattress so I'm feeling like the princess and the pea and climbing pretty high every night to sleep on two queen sized beds until the td is ready.

Barb
b.bodemer
1000 Club
1000 Club

Return to Camping Secrets