Which Glue

General Discussion about almost anything Teardrop or camping related

Which Glue

Postby Lynne » Mon Aug 28, 2006 2:46 am

I have read articles about the glue used in making a tear and am wondering which is best. I do a lot of wood working in my shop building and always use Tight Bond glue. But there are so many different glues on the market I was wondering which would work best for the trailer I want to start building.
Lynne
Teardrop Builder

Postby madjack » Mon Aug 28, 2006 3:25 am

Lynne, TBIII is as good a glue as can be had...your whole tear can be built with it...however Gorilla Glue and Polyurethane constuction adhesives have their places

....the PL glue is excellent in places that may have a slight gap such as rib to roof attachment and also works well in sandwich floor constuction...

I am a fan of Gorilla Glue in situations where clamping is hard to properly apply....GG and a brad gun are very effective...we also used a lot of GG because we applied all finishes before construction rendering TBIII relatively useless and used Al angle for cleats, which TBIII will not stick to but GG will

So choices are upto you, just be sure the glue and application match up and if unfamiliar with a product, be sure and read and follow all instuctions....as always, Your Mileage May Vary
madjack 8)
...I have come to believe that, conflict resolution, through violence, is never acceptable.....................mj
madjack
Site Admin

Postby mikeschn » Mon Aug 28, 2006 3:57 am

Lynne,

The only glue I used on the Escape Hatch is Titebond III. I do back up all of my joints with screws too. But Titebond III has emerged as the winner of all the glues I've tried.

MJ is right about the other glues though... Gorilla glue/Polyurethane glue is great for filling gaps. And others have used construction adhesive, which has unbelievable holding power.

Just pick the right glue for the job, and if it absolutely can not fail, then back it up with screws. You'll be fine!

Mike...
The quality is remembered long after the price is forgotten, so build your teardrop with the best materials...
mikeschn
Site Admin

Postby Lynne » Mon Aug 28, 2006 8:04 am

Thank you guys, I apptrciate the info.
Lynne
Teardrop Builder

Postby thobbs » Mon Aug 28, 2006 8:22 am

I have been using gorilla glue on my build with bad results. What am I doing wrong. I moisten the surfce and clamp, but a lot of my pieces ended up popping off after a few weeks. :(
thobbs
Teardrop Master

Postby asianflava » Mon Aug 28, 2006 1:15 pm

I started with Gorilla Glue because I wanted to use "The Toughest Glue on Planet Earth" but after a few uses, I decided that I didn't like it. For the most part I used Tite Bond II (I couldn't find big bottles of III) Epoxy and Polyurethane caulk.

Each has their uses as MadJack stated.
For high strength I used epoxy (sandwich walls/floor)
For quick adhesion I used the Polyurethane caulk (roof/hatch skins)
Everywhere else I used TB II
asianflava
8000 Club
8000 Club

Postby Ira » Mon Aug 28, 2006 1:30 pm

These guys are all full of crap:

You can build a decent teardrop, as I did, with just flour and water as your paste.
Here we go again!
Ira
Forum Storyteller

Postby Melvin » Mon Aug 28, 2006 1:32 pm

mikeschn wrote:MJ is right about the other glues though... Gorilla glue/Polyurethane glue is great for filling gaps.

Though polyurethane glues will expand to fill large gaps they have very little strength if that gap is larger than a a millimetre or so. Your better off with an epoxy or construction adhesive if you've got those kinds of errors to fix.
Commandant Louis Joseph Lahure has a singular distinction in military history - he defeated a navy on horseback. Occupying Holland in January 1795, the French continental army learned that the mighty Dutch navy had been frozen into the ice around Texel Island. So Lahure and 128 men simply rode up to it and demanded surrender. No shots were fired.
Melvin
Teardrop Master

Postby surveytech » Mon Aug 28, 2006 1:42 pm

Titebond III for any tight raw wood joint. Its waterproof and easy to clean up with a wet rag while the glue is still wet.

Construction adhesive for everything else.
surveytech
Donating Member

Postby madjack » Mon Aug 28, 2006 2:36 pm

...don't use Gorilla glue with the idea of filling gaps...use a PL constrution adhesive or thickened epoxy(best)

Thobbs....are you slightly dampening just one side(correct) or both sides(wrong)...also found that the least amount of clamping pressure you can get away with is best...there are temp variables to consider which shouldn't be a prob in summertime..GG also has a limited shelf life once opened...like I said YMMV........
madjack 8)
...I have come to believe that, conflict resolution, through violence, is never acceptable.....................mj
madjack
Site Admin

Postby thobbs » Mon Aug 28, 2006 4:06 pm

Both sides. My bad. Good to know in the future!
thobbs
Teardrop Master

Postby mikeschn » Mon Aug 28, 2006 4:08 pm

Ira wrote:You can build a decent teardrop, as I did, with just flour and water as your paste.

Does flour and beer work too? Does that make it waterproof? :R

Mike...
The quality is remembered long after the price is forgotten, so build your teardrop with the best materials...
mikeschn
Site Admin

Postby angib » Mon Aug 28, 2006 5:18 pm

Ira wrote:You can build a decent teardrop, as I did, with just flour and water as your paste.

Time for a new thread: Which flour?

Andrew
angib
5000 Club
5000 Club

dampening

Postby jay » Mon Aug 28, 2006 5:50 pm

why just 1 side?
jay
Donating Member

Postby Sonetpro » Mon Aug 28, 2006 5:59 pm

I used GG with good sucsess. It must be clamped or weighted until cured. The wood would break before glue will.
}><)))'> ~--------------·´¯) SteveT
You don't know what the limit's are until you take it there.ImageImageImage
Sonetpro
Site Admin

Next

Return to General Discussion