Hi, from Central Kentucky..

This is the place where you can introduce yourself, and include a photo if so desired.

Hi, from Central Kentucky..

Postby maypo59 » Tue Aug 29, 2006 10:34 am

New to the idea of the teardrop.. been thinking "rv" for a while.. saw a show on tv about TD's.. have this old dirtbike trailer.. need winter project.. been 10 years since I retired from the Army, ready to go camping again..

So..

Mark and Susie Smith, we shoot, motorcycle, SCCA, bicycle (road, tandem and mt. bike), golden retrievers (x2), woodwork, and keep a reef aquairum.

Interested in building a woody, 5x8, and very happy to have found this site.

thanks in advance for the help and info I see I will be able to get/find on here.

Mark
maypo59
Teardrop Inspector

Postby sid » Tue Aug 29, 2006 10:59 am

Hi back at ya from Central Tennessee.....

Thanks for serving our country, and welcome to the forum. Good idea on the 5x8. Sounds like you have lot of interests. We built one last year as our winter project and finished it on Fathers Day. It was very enjoyable and kept me off the streets.

(Just don't forget the pictures......)
sid n side
"If you're going through hell, keep going......" Winston Churchhill

Side by Side - completed October 2008
sid
Donating Member

Postby TRAIL-OF-TEARS » Tue Aug 29, 2006 11:20 am

welcome, Mark
the 5x8 is a good choice you will be glad you have the extra room if you plan on takeing the dogs. Nice to see another Reefer here. whatcha got?
I have a 46g bow front.
Steve J.

Home built Camp-Inn clone.
GO SPURS GO
TRAIL-OF-TEARS
Donating Member

Postby maypo59 » Tue Aug 29, 2006 1:44 pm

TRAIL-OF-TEARS wrote: Nice to see another Reefer here. whatcha got?
I have a 46g bow front.

100 gals or so total.. 75 upstairs, plumbed into the basement for filters/sump/refugium/chiller/reactor.. only the refugium has pretty much started to take on a life of it's own.. two spare 75's down there in the basement doing nothing, wife thinks she would like to have a salt water fish only tank (she has a thing for triggers...), so probably will plumb it in to the sump soon.. reef stocked with about 12 SPS's half a dozen LPS and some softies, leathers, zoa's etc.. 6-7 fish now I think.. been running in one form or another for about 10 years.

Moved it to it's current location last year.. some pics of the move, need to post some newer ones!! http://reefcentral.com/gallery/showgall ... =1&ppuser=

think that link should work..
maypo59
Teardrop Inspector

Postby TRAIL-OF-TEARS » Tue Aug 29, 2006 3:46 pm

Nice looking tank. I have 360 lbs of live rock. just polyps and an open brain, nothing fancy. I am still burning VHO's ,I am old school. I only have two fish at the moment a Maroon clown and an arch eye hawk. lots of hermits and snails and more star fish than I can count (the little buggers). My tank is a bit of an experiment it has a penguin 280 for a filter a protein skimmer and two power heads. It has been running this way since Janurary 1997. Those are the original fish less one manderin I had for 5 years untill he decided to see what it was like outside the tank. :cry: He never jumped before, or after for that matter. I just have not found another one I liked as much to replace him. The manderin was the whole reason for the salt tank. I have moved my tank 3 times and I had to replace my tank once when it sprung a leak I still have to repair the old one so I will have a back up. I hope I will never have to move it again. :worship:
Steve J.

Home built Camp-Inn clone.
GO SPURS GO
TRAIL-OF-TEARS
Donating Member

Postby asianflava » Tue Aug 29, 2006 5:41 pm

I have a 100gal that I'm trying to get rid of. When I brought it from FL to TX, the bottom got chipped. It still holds water but I don't want to find out if it will hold 100gal. So if anyone wants a tank to use as a herp tank or a vivarium, drop me a line I'll let it go really cheap, (proly $50 or free to somebody here).

Also have my 55gal and 7gal micro reef but they aren't set up anymore. The 55 was setup with a 33gal sump (filled with rock), 2 venturi protien skimmers, 2 VHOs and 2 regular 40W. I loved that tank because I had everything setup on timers. The only thing I had to do was clean the skimmers (alternated the 2) and fill the automatic topoff system.

Fish and inverts were cheap in FL. Even cheaper for me because I knew the guy who owned the fish store. We grew up in the same neighborhood. It was funny though, this place in NC got fish from the same wholesaler he did but the place in NC charged twice as much.

What is the hot setup? is it still DSB? That was the last one I heard of. That 55 had a plenum but I think that has fallen out of favor. My nitrates never registered, I bought 2 kits because I thought the other kit was out of date or something.
asianflava
8000 Club
8000 Club

Postby Nitetimes » Tue Aug 29, 2006 5:48 pm

asianflava wrote:I have a 100gal that I'm trying to get rid of. When I brought it from FL to TX, the bottom got chipped. It still holds water but I don't want to find out if it will hold 100gal. So if anyone wants a tank to use as a herp tank or a vivarium, drop me a line I'll let it go really cheap, (proly $50 or free to somebody here).

Do you deliver? I'd take it off your hands but that's a mighty long drive! 8) 8)
Rich

ImageImage
-
The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to
keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves
against tyranny in government.
- Thomas Jefferson -
Personally, I carry a gun because I'm too young to die and too old to take a butt kickin'.
Nitetimes
7000 Club
7000 Club

Postby asianflava » Tue Aug 29, 2006 5:55 pm

Nitetimes wrote:Do you deliver? I'd take it off your hands but that's a mighty long drive! 8) 8)

I guess I forgot that part, You gotta come get it. That thing is like 250lbs, EMPTY!
asianflava
8000 Club
8000 Club

Return to Newbies, Introduce yourselves