This is the place where you can introduce yourself, and include a photo if so desired.

Postby jlmoulto » Wed Aug 30, 2006 4:00 pm

First of all, what a great site with a ton of resources! Reading is taking up virtually all of my time

Perhaps this is covered already, and if so I apologize! I have been looking for a light weight camper to tow behind my 2003 Sunfire. It has a maximum towing capacity of 1000lbs.

Some of the designs do list approx. weights, however can someone point me to a design that would be under the weight stated and have one basic condition. It must be able to sleep three people. Two adults and one young child. I did see the hamock, but would rather a design with a bunk of sorts.

Pictures mean more than anything to me so that would be great.

Also, has anyone designed one that can be easily removed from the trailer? I am in the process of building a new trailer that I intend to use for firewood, landscaping, etc. While I originally had planned to make this a 4x8, if the plans I look at end up being a 5' wide, I can easily modify to fit. Seems to make more sense than having two trailers that will be used "infrequently".

Any thoughts greatly appreciated.
jlmoulto
Teardrop Inspector

Postby mikeschn » Wed Aug 30, 2006 4:17 pm

Hey JM,

Welcome to the forum...

My daughter has a Pontiac Sunfire, I can imagine it doesn't tow much.

The only thing I would build for my daughter to tow is a version of the ultralight.

The one I have in the basement I expect will only weigh maybe 500#. It's a 4x8. Of course if I build it up for myself, I'd rather have a 5x8, but I have some designing and analysis to do before I can continue on that build.

Meanwhile if you'd like to see the Ultralight design process you can see this thread...

http://tnttt.com/viewtopic.php?t=7275

and if you'd like to see the beginning of the build process you can see it here

http://tnttt.com/viewtopic.php?t=7426

And yes, both threads are loaded with photos...

Mike...

P.S. You can probably make the body removable, but if all you have is an axle and a tongue, it'd be kinda silly, ya think? :lol:

P.P.S. When I get back from MO next week I'll turn my thoughts back to the Ultralight...
The quality is remembered long after the price is forgotten, so build your teardrop with the best materials...
mikeschn
Site Admin

Postby jlmoulto » Wed Aug 30, 2006 4:45 pm

Thanks Mike.

It appears that design might have some merit for what I need, but the more I research the more I think I might end up with a 5' wide trailer.

Any idea how heavy the Generic Benroy might be? I may be able to reduce weight somewhat as I am contemplating using 8" tires as I already have them available including the hubs.

As for being removable, I was thinking the design would incorporate something similar to the Harbour Freight trailer, so removing the body would leave me with a flat bed trailer.
jlmoulto
Teardrop Inspector

Postby asianflava » Wed Aug 30, 2006 4:54 pm

Speaking in general terms, 4X8 are around 700lbs, 5X10 are around 1200lbs.

Of course there are lots of variables that could change these figures. But being as your tow capacity is 1000lbs, I don't know if a 5ft would work. A loaded 5X8 may be a bit close to the max capacity.
asianflava
8000 Club
8000 Club

Postby KA » Sun Sep 03, 2006 10:17 am

HI and WELCOME,
Is your tow capacity the same if you add brakes? My car can tow more than 1000 if I have brakes on the car...just a thought.
Have fun with your build.
Kris :)
KA
Donating Member

Postby Nitetimes » Sun Sep 03, 2006 10:31 am

KA wrote:My car can tow more than 1000 if I have brakes on the car...just a thought.

Kris :)

Your car didn't come with brakes? I'll bet you could tow more if you had brakes on the car, it might even stop better. My, my, I think I'd have to seriously consider a trade in. 8) :lol: 8) :lol: 8) :lol: :lol:
Rich

ImageImage
-
The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to
keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves
against tyranny in government.
- Thomas Jefferson -
Personally, I carry a gun because I'm too young to die and too old to take a butt kickin'.
Nitetimes
7000 Club
7000 Club

Postby jagular7 » Sun Sep 03, 2006 11:08 am

Due to the limitations of your tow vehicle, you'll be limited to a size as well as weight.

I've got a 4x8 Pleasant Valley utility td. Its a basic sleep area with a shelf in the back with couple cabinets. It weighs itself near 650#s. But then I add 20# of sleeping, 65# of awning, 50#s of kitchen, 10# of chairs/table, etc. All that little stuff adds up. Still no food, water, cooler, clothes....

So there is something else to consider other than the td weight, the weight of your stuff!!! Don't forget the passengers in the tow vehicle.
Mike
Jagular
Lenexa, KS
jagular7
The 300 Club

Postby KA » Sun Sep 03, 2006 11:25 am

Good eye, Nitetimes. I meant to say brakes on the trailer and brake attachment (thingee or whatever it is called) on the car. :lol:
Kris
KA
Donating Member

Postby angib » Sun Sep 03, 2006 1:14 pm

It seems to me from what people have reported here that the weight of a trailer is down to how heavily it's been built, as much as how big it is. A 5x10 can be built lighter than many people's 4x8s.

Andrew
angib
5000 Club
5000 Club

Return to Newbies, Introduce yourselves