Two White Wires????

Anything electric, AC or DC

Two White Wires????

Postby halfdome, Danny » Sun Sep 03, 2006 5:03 pm

I'm installing electric brakes from Dexter and they show the blue power wire to the blue magnet wire and the white ground to the white magnet wire.
I can understand that very well what I don't understand is that both wires coming out of the brake magnet are white with no stripe or lettering :? . I was hoping to complete this during this long weekend and was wondering if someone might have a clue. :D Danny

Thanks sdtripper2 for the help on posting an image direct from Dexters website, :thumbsup: :applause: Danny
Last edited by halfdome, Danny on Sun Sep 03, 2006 5:22 pm, edited 2 times in total.
ImageImage
"Conditions are never just right. People who delay action until all factors are favorable do nothing". William Feather
Don't accept "It's Good Enough" build to the best of your abilities.
Teardroppers Of Oregon & WashingtonImage
halfdome, Danny
*Happy Camper

Postby emiller » Sun Sep 03, 2006 5:08 pm

I would think it wouldn't matter which one you would hook up to your blue wire, it just has to make a loop when done. make a couple of jumper wires and ground one wire and then just touch the other one with a hot wire and see if it engages the brakes. Best if you take out a battery your not using. Don't do it off your vehicle incase something shorts.
emiller
Donating Member

Postby halfdome, Danny » Sun Sep 03, 2006 5:29 pm

That sounds like a solution or as a friend in California emailed me:"Well, if you have a good multimeter, you can do a simple polarity test; see which side is negative, and which side is positive. Then again, in Kalifornia, everything goes both ways". Danny
ImageImage
"Conditions are never just right. People who delay action until all factors are favorable do nothing". William Feather
halfdome, Danny
*Happy Camper

Postby sdtripper2 » Sun Sep 03, 2006 5:34 pm

Danny:

This is from the faq's section of the Dexter manual.

BRAKES - Do Dexter brake magnet wires have polarity?

The wires on a Dexter magnet do not have polarity. It works like a common resistor. One wire will connect to power and the other to a ground. It is Dexter's recommendation that a common ground be run from the the trailer plug to the brake magnets. Do not ground each brake individually to the trailer frame or structure. Also note that the brakes should be wired in parallel, not in series.

But wait there are more questions answered here Danny! :thumbsup:
http://www.dexteraxle.com/faq_s#top

# BRAKES - Do Dexter brake magnet wires have polarity?
# BRAKES - How can I increase the aggressiveness of the 12x2 brake?
# BRAKES - How do I measure brake current or amperage?
# BRAKES - How do I measure brake voltage?
"A man who is good enough to shed his blood for his country
is good enough to be given a square deal afterwards." -------Theodore Roosevelt

Steve
sdtripper2
Search Garoux

Postby Dale M. » Sun Sep 03, 2006 5:58 pm

halfdome, Danny wrote:That sounds like a solution or as a friend in California emailed me:"Well, if you have a good multimeter, you can do a simple polarity test; see which side is negative, and which side is positive. Then again, in Kalifornia, everything goes both ways". Danny

Umm..... A coil of wire around a iron core (electro magnet) does not have polarity.... At least when it comes to tailer brakes...

Only time there may be a problem is if one end of coil is connected to iron body of brake magnet, then I would think wire would be specifically identified as being ground wire....

Also so wire color doesn't really mean a thing.... Wires on magnets on my tandem axle car hauler are green, both of them and wiring from plug back to axle is black and white in red sleeve..

Wire colors are only for people to trace what wire is assigned to where... Electrons do not care what color insulation is on wires....

And its funny that wiring diagrams specify blue wire for brakes (on trailer) and most "brake" wire that comes in bulk is black and white...

Dale
Lives his life vicariously through his own self.

Any statement made by me are strictly my own opinion.
You are free to ignore anything I say if you do not agree.

Dale M.
2000 Club
2000 Club

Postby halfdome, Danny » Sun Sep 03, 2006 7:57 pm

Thanks Steve & Dale you both have been a big help. In their FAQ I found this. I don't understand why they just don't make some notation with the product it would have saved me hours of what'll I do?,what'll I do? Danny

BRAKES - Which magnet wire is the positive, they are both the same color?
The Dexter magnet is not a polarized component. Use one wire to connect to power from the brake controller and use the other to attach to ground. It is Dexter's recommendation that a common ground be run from the trailer plug to the magnets. Do not ground each brake individually to the trailer frame or structure. Also note that the brakes should be wired in parallel, not in series. The wire color is used to identify the component since so many Dexter magnets physically look the same on the outside, however they are different strengths for the different capacity brakes.
ImageImage
halfdome, Danny
*Happy Camper

Postby Dale M. » Sun Sep 03, 2006 10:10 pm

ON my tandem axle car carrier trailer, it came to me from factory with ground wire from trailer plug to common ground point on trailer tongue and ground wire from brakes also connected to same point... It makes sense because it wires "whole trailer system(s)" ground from tow vehicle to metal frame of trailer so the ground is wired through connector and any lamps or devices that grounds on trailer frame does not depend on ground through hitch... When I get around to wiring TD I am going to use same "bonding" method...

Dale
Lives his life vicariously through his own self.

Any statement made by me are strictly my own opinion.
You are free to ignore anything I say if you do not agree.

Dale M.
2000 Club
2000 Club

Postby halfdome, Danny » Sun Sep 03, 2006 10:16 pm

Dale M. wrote:ON my tandem axle car carrier trailer, it came to me from factory with ground wire from trailer plug to common ground point on trailer tongue and ground wire from brakes also connected to same point... It makes sense because it wires "whole trailer system(s)" ground from tow vehicle to metal frame of trailer so the ground is wired through connector and any lamps or devices that grounds on trailer frame does not depend on ground through hitch...

Dale

Sounds like the way I wired my tear and will ground the brakes the same. They recommend soldering all connections on the brake wires and I will. I just need to buy more wire tomorrow. :relaxing: Danny
ImageImage
halfdome, Danny
*Happy Camper

Postby sdtripper2 » Sun Sep 03, 2006 10:17 pm

Danny:

Your wires have NO polarity for clarity~

As Dale and I would attest. We are glad you are grounded
in the knowledge of a common ground is the most sound~ :thinking:

Steve
sdtripper2
Search Garoux

Postby halfdome, Danny » Sun Sep 03, 2006 10:19 pm

sdtripper2 wrote:Danny:

Your wires have NO polarity for clarity~

As Dale and I would attest. We are glad you are grounded
in the knowledge of a common ground is the most sound~ :thinking:
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :thumbsup: :applause: A poet too? Danny
ImageImage
halfdome, Danny
*Happy Camper

Generic Electric Brake Wiring Diagram

Postby sdtripper2 » Mon Sep 04, 2006 1:26 am

Danny:

Here is a Generic Electric Brake Wiring Diagram in PDF.

http://tinyurl.com/hdjxa

NOTE: In this Generic Wiring Diagram it shows a small special
battery and charger. This is for a trailer that doesn't have the
deep cell battery that most home built TearDrop trailers have.
My Break away switch 12 volt line goes to my deep cell battery.
So if your buying a Break away switch that is all you need and
run the wire to your Tear's internal battery.
Last edited by sdtripper2 on Tue Sep 05, 2006 1:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Steve
sdtripper2
Search Garoux

Re: Generic Electric Brake Wiring Diagram

Postby halfdome, Danny » Mon Sep 04, 2006 9:16 am

sdtripper2 wrote:Danny:

Here is a Generic Electric Brake Wiring Diagram in PDF.

http://tinyurl.com/hdjxa

Thanks, Steve I printed it. This would be a good one for anyone setting up brakes on their tear. :thumbsup: Danny
ImageImage
halfdome, Danny
*Happy Camper

Postby halfdome, Danny » Fri Sep 08, 2006 2:47 pm

My brakes and breakaway switch are installed and the brakes work. I didn’t feel the need to unhitch the tear and drive away to test the breakaway switch :lol: . No help here for a test of the switch since Jane is out of town for the weekend. Yesterday I had a hitch business install the controller for me since my body doesn't like to be under a dash even when I was young. I knew how to do it but, hey, sometimes it's just better to pay the guy and be done with it. I learned some by watching him. I had to exercise the brakes 20 times at a 20 mph decrease in speed to burnish them in. This morning I adjusted them according to the manual and will try them out again on the way to my son's home this evening. It's a nice feeling with the assistance of the brakes. I feel safer and more confident in stopping in any situation. :banana: Danny
ImageImage
halfdome, Danny
*Happy Camper

Return to Electrical Secrets