Countertop question...

Anything to do with mechanical, construction etc

Countertop question...

Postby kayakrguy » Sun Sep 03, 2006 9:53 am

Hi folks,

I would like to know what, if any creative and INEXPENSIVE alternatives you can offer for covering a galley counter tops.

To wit: Even formica is pretty expensive hereabouts--$43-$47 fjor a 4x8 sheet and I only need 2'x5'. The rest would be waste--I have no other plans for using formica and already have 2x3 sitting around from a project a couple of years ago.

Thanks for your attention,

Jim
A disposition to preserve, and an ability to improve, taken together, would be my standard of a statesman...

But what is liberty without wisdom, and without virtue? It is the greatest of all possible evils; for it is folly, vice, and madness, without tuition or restraint.

Edmund Burke
kayakrguy
Lifetime member

Postby dwgriff1 » Sun Sep 03, 2006 10:11 am

Find a good floor covering shop.

In their back room they will have a lot of pieces of plastic laminate, you might find one you actually like!

I have thrown away larger pieces than you describe.

You should also be able to buy laminate in sizes as small as 2 by 6. Check with that same floor covering store.

dave
dwgriff1
500 Club

Postby madjack » Sun Sep 03, 2006 10:13 am

Jim, check at Lowe's...goto their stock of laminate and see if you can find a broken/cracked piece...I have often done that and gotten a 4x8 for less than 30 bucks that was 90% usable...check with local cabinet makers...they often have drops or will sell you a cut to size piece...a wooden counter top with an epoxy finish is viable...look at the box and hardware stores for a product that calls itself "50 coat" urethane or epoxy
madjack 8)
...I have come to believe that, conflict resolution, through violence, is never acceptable.....................mj
madjack
Site Admin

Postby toypusher » Sun Sep 03, 2006 10:46 am

The HD here sells formica in 2x4 sheets! Pretty cheap, if I remember correctly.
toypusher
Site Admin

lowcost to the extreme

Postby luluyug » Sun Sep 03, 2006 11:41 am

i used a piece of half inch ply covered by some self adesive mac tac that you find in your kitchen shelfs. it is inexpensive and washable. works for me :thumbsup:
luluyug
Teardrop Advisor

Postby Steve Frederick » Sun Sep 03, 2006 1:16 pm

Use a nice piece of ply, and finish it in varnish!
Blessings, Steve
Adirondacks, Upstate New York
Building Journals
The Shop Manual's 8-years old!! Thank's everyone!
New! 'Rondack Lodge Plans!Order Here!
Steve Frederick
Custom Teardrop Builder

Location: Upstate New York, Adirondacks (Great Sacandaga Lake)

Postby Laredo » Sun Sep 03, 2006 1:33 pm

If you have a pocket hole jig or a biscuit cutter you can do up a "butcher board" out of about $5 worth of cedar fence pickets; sand 'em and rub on a couple coats of light mineral oil and you're done.
Mopar's what my busted knuckles bleed, working on my 318s...
Laredo
Donating Member

Postby cnicoll1 » Sun Sep 03, 2006 3:50 pm

Me.. I say go out and buy a nice piece of fornica and spend the dough....It will look nicer in the long run and you wont say a year from now... gee if only I had......If Im building something I would rather spend the money on quality materials and maybe take more time on it for cost cosiderations than just get it done as cheap as possible.... just my 2 cents
Craig
cnicoll1
Teardrop Inspector

Postby KA » Sun Sep 03, 2006 4:05 pm

Hi,
You could stop by a couple of construction sites and see if they have any leftovers.
We also have a Second Use Building Supply place in our town. They take donated materials and you can often find all sorts of goodies there. You might have something similar in your area.
Good luck. :)
Kris
KA
Donating Member

Bargain? found...

Postby kayakrguy » Sun Sep 03, 2006 4:48 pm

First I want to thank you all for the good ideas.

One thing I am beginning to realize is that the Big Box stores here in the East are way different than in the South and the Midwest (across the Delaware River) You folks can get lumber, they will special order for one or two items, they carry stuff our stores don't etc

Kerry suggested that HD will let you buy smaller than 4x8 pieces of Formica...the answer I got when I asked that yesterday was, ' we usta dodat but nomore'

Now as to varnish, I did inquire of the Higher Power whether that would work. Higher Power let me know that WOULD NOT work. We were going to have laminate.

Now it happened that yesterday in looking around we did see a 10' damaged countertop at Lowe's--one of those particle board covered with formica things...it was on sale for $25. And, after thinking about it, I decided that was a price hard to beat! So today I went back and bought that sucker. Granted, it is about 25% heavier than a piece of ply would be but after I cut off the damage the counter top will be ready to install. Besides, I think this will earn me brownie points so I don't have to build a slide out for the home entertainment center!

But, I do appreciate all the good ideas, its just that we got lucky.

I will seal the PB so that too much moisture doesn't get in there...

Jim
A disposition to preserve, and an ability to improve, taken together, would be my standard of a statesman...

But what is liberty without wisdom, and without virtue? It is the greatest of all possible evils; for it is folly, vice, and madness, without tuition or restraint.

Edmund Burke
kayakrguy
Lifetime member

Postby Podunkfla » Tue Sep 05, 2006 12:42 am

kayakrguy... Now that you've solved your problem, my suggestion is a little late. But, maybe it will help others. Just call a few local cabinet shops and ask if they have any scraps they will sell cheap. Most shops, like mine, have lots of scraps and leftovers. They are already paid for by the last job. I have a whole bin full of pieces from 2' x 4' to almost whole ones. I have often raided a buddy's shop for small pieces to do repair jobs with... usually get 'em free. He has way more than I do sitting around. 8)

friend ~ Brick
<B>~ Brick
<I>... I've done so much with so little for so long... Now I can do almost anything with nothing! </I></B>
Image...Lots more pix here!
Podunkfla
ol' noodle haid

Postby maisyhead » Tue Sep 05, 2006 8:53 am

I don't have any pictures of mine yet but used plywood and covered it in Aluminum flashing...rolled the edges and riveted underneath. It was simple and looks awesome.
maisyhead
Teardrop Inspector

Postby JLaman » Tue Sep 05, 2006 12:51 pm

I used a piece of leftover aluminum skin for my countertop. Works fine, and it was "free". Put a piece of plywood edging along the front and the counter is done and looks like the rest of the theme.

Jeff
JLaman
Teardrop Builder

Postby kayakrguy » Tue Sep 05, 2006 5:58 pm

Jeff, Brick, Maisy...

Great stuff...thanks for sharing becauze I think you're right there are others who would like more info about counter tops that are practical and economical!

clap, clap!

Jim

Edmund Burke
kayakrguy
Lifetime member

Postby Podunkfla » Tue Sep 05, 2006 9:55 pm

kayakrguy... Just to add another idea. You could even cover your whole teardrop with plastic laminate material... The stuff also comes in 5' x 12' sheets as well as 4' x 8'. And, there is not just woodgrains & colors... there are some really cool looking metalics now too. Just a thought. :lol:

Friend ~ Brick
<B>~ Brick
<I>... I've done so much with so little for so long... Now I can do almost anything with nothing! </I></B>
Image...Lots more pix here!
Podunkfla
ol' noodle haid

Next

Return to Teardrop Construction Tips & Techniques