3/4" U channel Around Doors

Anything to do with mechanical, construction etc

3/4" U channel Around Doors

Postby John6012 » Mon Sep 04, 2006 4:57 pm

I have to make new doors (square vs curved) and wonder if anyone has had any success with aluminum U moulding around the doors. I could use the 1" T moulding but only have two pieces. Thanks
John6012
Teardrop Master

Postby madjack » Mon Sep 04, 2006 11:43 pm

John, our doors and sides are from 3/4" ply. The doors are wrapped with 3/4x3/4 inch channel that has been ripped down to 3/4x1/4 inches...if you decide to rip the legs down, BE VERY CAREFUL, rip one leg at a time, use a zero clearance insert in the table saw and at least 2 feather board...on top and one side...if you have no idea what I am talking about, then you might want to consider oter techniques...look under my WWW button for some pics...you will also haveta anneal the Al for bending around the curves....
madjack 8)
...I have come to believe that, conflict resolution, through violence, is never acceptable.....................mj
madjack
Site Admin

Postby Sonetpro » Tue Sep 05, 2006 12:31 pm

John, I didn' use it for my doors but I used this to edge my 3/4" galley wall's. Lowes has some
Aluminum channel that's made to edge 3/4" ply it's a bit bigger than 3/4" so the ply fit in it snug. They also had 1/2" and 3/8"
It's called aluminum plywood edge.
}><)))'> ~--------------·´¯) SteveT
You don't know what the limit's are until you take it there.ImageImageImage
Sonetpro
Site Admin

Postby Loader » Tue Sep 05, 2006 12:38 pm

Steve,

Looking at the photo of your galley; What is the material you used on the interior of the galley hatch? The blue material.
Earl & Kerry

"Loader"

Blue Yonder Build Thread - viewtopic.php?f=50&t=42611

ImageImage
Loader
Platinum Donating Member

Postby Sonetpro » Tue Sep 05, 2006 1:11 pm

Loader wrote:Steve,

Looking at the photo of your galley; What is the material you used on the interior of the galley hatch? The blue material.

Earl, I got it at lowes also. It's called MDF. It comes it all kinds of colors and pattern's. It's in the kitchen section.
I also used it for my cabin cieling.

}><)))'> ~--------------·´¯) SteveT
You don't know what the limit's are until you take it there.ImageImageImage
Sonetpro
Site Admin

Postby Loader » Tue Sep 05, 2006 3:05 pm

Thanks Steve, I like the look of that. Looks like yet another trip to Lowe's is in order.
Earl & Kerry

"Loader"

Blue Yonder Build Thread - viewtopic.php?f=50&t=42611

ImageImage
Loader
Platinum Donating Member

Postby John6012 » Tue Sep 05, 2006 6:19 pm

Yes, I used the channel moulding on the galley and Madjack, I don't think I'll "rip" the 1/2" edges to 1/4". I plan on placing it around the doors and usign a sealant on the joints to prevent moisture/water from getting beneath the aluminum channel. Thanks for your advice all.
John6012
Teardrop Master

Postby kayakrguy » Sat Sep 09, 2006 7:32 pm

You guys are driving me nuts! No, not dead nuts...

When I see someone like Steve write ' I gotta da 3/4" channel at Lowe's,
I think AHA! Just what I need. I go to Lowes/HD and bingo! they don't have it/carry it. I think the Sothern firms discriminate against Yankees--we get things like super $$$ appliances etc but no aluminum channel...ggrrrr!

Jim
A disposition to preserve, and an ability to improve, taken together, would be my standard of a statesman...

But what is liberty without wisdom, and without virtue? It is the greatest of all possible evils; for it is folly, vice, and madness, without tuition or restraint.

Edmund Burke
kayakrguy
Lifetime member

Postby Miriam C. » Sat Sep 09, 2006 7:42 pm

kayakrguy wrote:You guys are driving me nuts! No, not dead nuts...

When I see someone like Steve write ' I gotta da 3/4" channel at Lowe's,
I think AHA! Just what I need. I go to Lowes/HD and bingo! they don't have it/carry it. I think the Sothern firms discriminate against Yankees--we get things like super $$$ appliances etc but no aluminum channel...ggrrrr!

Jim

:lol: Jim, go to the special order desk and have them get it for you. If one has it they are supposed to all be able to get it.
“Forgiveness means giving up all hope for a better past.â€
Miriam C.
our Aunti M

Postby madjack » Sat Sep 09, 2006 10:52 pm

Jim, we get almost al of common AL trim items from our local ACE hardware store 'cause they are cheaper than the box stores...
madjack 8)
...I have come to believe that, conflict resolution, through violence, is never acceptable.....................mj
madjack
Site Admin

Return to Teardrop Construction Tips & Techniques