AC unit mounted on the tongue...

Anything to do with mechanical, construction etc

AC unit mounted on the tongue...

Postby Eric Adams » Wed Nov 24, 2004 11:25 pm

I am going to mount a 5500btu window AC unit on the tongue of my soon to be built TD trailer. I plon on having it 4" or so above the tongue to clear the mattress inside and actually have the front of the AC unit mounted inside and go through the wall. THe part that is outside will have a hinged wooden cover (vented) that will make it look more camoflagued with the whole wooden theme.

Anyone else do/attempt this??

ROUGH pic follows...
Eric Adams
The 300 Club

Postby tdthinker » Thu Nov 25, 2004 12:16 am

Sounds like it would work with good venting and make shure it can get rid off its water. bye and good luck
Ryan
tdthinker
500 Club

Postby Larry Messaros » Thu Nov 25, 2004 2:19 am

Eric,

Something to think about. Are you going to have the cold air blowing on your head or your feet? You might find that it is a little too close. Could you not raise it up a little more? Maybe have the box underneath for storage, or battery, with the AC above.
Larry Messaros
:snow
Cariboo Country: If you don't like the weather, wait 5 minutes!
Larry Messaros
Platinum Donating Member

Postby Eric Adams » Thu Nov 25, 2004 8:46 am

Larry Messaros wrote:Eric,

Something to think about. Are you going to have the cold air blowing on your head or your feet? You might find that it is a little too close. Could you not raise it up a little more? Maybe have the box underneath for storage, or battery, with the AC above.

That is a idea. How far up?? I don't want to mess up the "lines" of the TD too much and I don't want the battery getting too damp. :)
Eric Adams
The 300 Club

Postby SteveH » Thu Nov 25, 2004 9:11 am

Eric,

I like your idea! :thumbsup: I've seen people put AC units in tears at the foot of the bed and it causes problems of how to get outside ventilation to the unit, but your location solves that problem. You could make an aluminum "box" cover for it using RV side vents to disguise the unit. Or if you are going to paint your tear, just paint the unit box the same color.

I do think, however as Larry said, you need to raise it up a bit to keep it from blowing directly on your head. ;)
SteveH
Calling an illegal alien an "undocumented immigrant"is like calling a drug dealer an "unlicensed pharmacist ".
SteveH
2000 Club
2000 Club

Postby Eric Adams » Thu Nov 25, 2004 9:30 am

SteveH wrote:Eric,

I like your idea! :thumbsup: I've seen people put AC units in tears at the foot of the bed and it causes problems of how to get outside ventilation to the unit, but your location solves that problem. You could make an aluminum "box" cover for it using RV side vents to disguise the unit. Or if you are going to paint your tear, just paint the unit box the same color.

I do think, however as Larry said, you need to raise it up a bit to keep it from blowing directly on your head. ;)

I appreciate the encouragement. Once it's built I'll post results and pics. :)

:D
Eric Adams
The 300 Club

Postby Arne » Thu Nov 25, 2004 9:31 am

regarding venting hot air from the a/c, I don't expect that would be a problem. I don't even think it would run with the compressor on very much, as it is built to handle a room with 10 times the volume of a tear.

I would not want the a/c near my head. that would be too close for comfort (ie, noise, if not cold air. I would mount it opposite where my head is..

I have a problem with tongue mounting personally, as the weight on the car increases quite quickly... that would mean I would have to move the wheels up on the trailer, or use storage in the back to balance it off. I am reluctant to shorten my axle to hitch distance as that causes trailer sway.

So, I'm still thinking about pointing it out the back.. and reversing my sleeping position, going to head forward... problem is, I like having my head at the back, that way the dog bed is by the door and muddy feet tend to stay at the front, and not on the bed...
www.freewebs.com/aero-1
---
I hope I never get too old to play (Arne, Sept 11, 2010)
Arne
Mr. Subject Line

Postby Eric Adams » Thu Nov 25, 2004 9:34 am

On weight distribution I plan to have water, etc in the galley so I am thinking the AC will balance it out. I did not change the origional HF axle placement from stock.
Eric Adams
The 300 Club

Postby Woody » Thu Nov 25, 2004 10:43 am

ventilation is important so the unit does not overheat and shut down and damage the compressor
Woody
The Tear Jerker's, Florida Chapter Director
E-mail: [email protected]
Tear jerker chapter site http://www.tearjerkers.net/forums/
Check the SE section for gathering information
Tear Jerkers new site http://www.tearjerkers.net/forums/
Enjoying life in 12 ounce increments is what it's about
Woody
2000 Club
2000 Club

Postby Arne » Thu Nov 25, 2004 12:22 pm

ventilation is important, I just don't think it is as critical in a tear as a large room, as the run time would be so short.

I do not have a hatch, yet, but am thinking that is where I would vent an a/c unit, with the hatch proped open 4 or 5 inches.
www.freewebs.com/aero-1
---
I hope I never get too old to play (Arne, Sept 11, 2010)
Arne
Mr. Subject Line

Postby Woody » Thu Nov 25, 2004 1:04 pm

Well speaking from my own pesonal experience with A/C install. It does make a difference if the hot exhuast is mixed with the cooling side air on the back of the unit. It will short cycle and thermally shut down and over pressurize the head of the compressor. It will over time ice the coils and then you have to wait to restart. Just make sure that the hot air is ducted away from the unit and the cooling air intake have separate air sources and it will be fine. A lot of people contain them within the same box and the unit has to recirculate the hot air, thats when overheating becames a problem. As long as it has good air flow to the back of the unit you should have no problems with operation. Mine breathes well and it has run non-stop for two weeks with no problems during a test I did before I set out on my maiden voyage. Enjoy the coolness
Woody
The Tear Jerker's, Florida Chapter Director
E-mail: [email protected]
Tear jerker chapter site http://www.tearjerkers.net/forums/
Check the SE section for gathering information
Tear Jerkers new site http://www.tearjerkers.net/forums/
Enjoying life in 12 ounce increments is what it's about
Woody
2000 Club
2000 Club

Postby tdthinker » Thu Nov 25, 2004 9:31 pm

If you take some time on the box it should blend in nicely. I wouldnt want it blowing right at me head becuase it would go under the covers making you cold. You would have to get one with those moveable vints like in cars. bye
Ryan
tdthinker
500 Club

Postby Eric Adams » Sun Nov 28, 2004 11:13 pm

tdthinker wrote:If you take some time on the box it should blend in nicely. I wouldnt want it blowing right at me head becuase it would go under the covers making you cold. You would have to get one with those moveable vints like in cars. bye

It does have the vents that I can point straight up. I am "hot natured" anyhow. Can't sleep when its real hot around me.
Eric Adams
The 300 Club

Return to Teardrop Construction Tips & Techniques