Countertop Depth

Anything to do with mechanical, construction etc

Countertop Depth

Postby Classic Finn » Tue Sep 05, 2006 6:39 pm

Was wondering if there is a standard depth in your countertops used in your builds?

Just checking since I bought nice wood countertop and I have to have some cutting done..

Also our tear is 5 foot wide with 3/4 inch Ply for the walls so what kind of a gap should be left there at the countertop ends so it wont be real tight and have room for a lil movement ?

I can seal the ends with an elastic silicone or? decor moulding.

Classic Finn
Royal Teardrop Society Scandinavian Bureau Chief of Staff

Classic Finn
Midnight Sun Voyager
Midnight Sun Voyager

Postby madjack » Tue Sep 05, 2006 7:45 pm

Heikki, I would make it at least 16"s deep to be really usable...24" is fairly standard here in the states for a home counter top...keep in mind that your counter top and cabinetry really needs to all compliment each other...another question is whether or not you are going to be cooking/preparing meals on that counter top or on a campground table or on auxillary tables clipped/attached to the tear....we cut our countertop piece the same width as the inside of the tear and mounted it using 3/4" AL angle...because it is a tight fit, no trim is needed...we used 3/4 Al nosing on the outer exposed edge...you know where our build pics are...don't ya.....
madjack 8)
...I have come to believe that, conflict resolution, through violence, is never acceptable.....................mj
madjack
Site Admin

Postby Nitetimes » Tue Sep 05, 2006 7:54 pm

I can't recall the exact depth mine is but it was mostly dertermined by the room I had back there. My counter top wasn't a manufactured one tho.
I'd say use as much depth as you can and still clear the hatch and height considerations.
Rich

ImageImage
-
The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to
keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves
against tyranny in government.
- Thomas Jefferson -
Personally, I carry a gun because I'm too young to die and too old to take a butt kickin'.
Nitetimes
7000 Club
7000 Club

Postby doug hodder » Tue Sep 05, 2006 8:32 pm

Heikki....Mine is 15" deep and 54" wide, with a 9" deep cupboard behind it...the side table and cooler top offer another 15 x 22 of space each...It wasn't going to be of much use to go deeper as the curve (profile) on the back of mine keeps you further away from the counter...and I'm maxed out right to the inside of the hatch...Doug
Last edited by doug hodder on Tue Sep 05, 2006 8:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
doug hodder
*Snoop Dougie Doug

Postby Gerdo » Tue Sep 05, 2006 8:33 pm

I had the depth so I recycled an old/like new standard 24"D counter top. I also cut so it was a tight fit (side to side) I ran a bead of caulk along the ends/body to keep any food/liquids from getting in there.
Gerdo
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby Classic Finn » Sun Sep 10, 2006 5:06 pm

Dear Friends

Im about to add the countertop and I noticed all our standard countertops are 60 centimeters and to convert it over its 23.62 inches...

Here is the sink unit we have and the nice cutting board that you place on top of the sink ....

Classic Finn
Last edited by Classic Finn on Sun Sep 10, 2006 5:21 pm, edited 3 times in total.

Classic Finn
Midnight Sun Voyager
Midnight Sun Voyager

Postby Classic Finn » Sun Sep 10, 2006 5:11 pm

madjack wrote:Heikki, I would make it at least 16"s deep to be really usable...24" is fairly standard here in the states for a home counter top...keep in mind that your counter top and cabinetry really needs to all compliment each other...another question is whether or not you are going to be cooking/preparing meals on that counter top or on a campground table or on auxillary tables clipped/attached to the tear....we cut our countertop piece the same width as the inside of the tear and mounted it using 3/4" AL angle...because it is a tight fit, no trim is needed...we used 3/4 Al nosing on the outer exposed edge...you know where our build pics are...don't ya.....
madjack 8)

Madjack I dont think we,ll be doing much of cooking on the top itself..The Mrs would like for me to make a slideout table that comes out straight from the galley and would be on the side if looking into the galley..

So on it we were thinking of getting a lil gas stove such as many of you use there in the States..

Here are the dimensions of the Stove
59x 29x 11 cm, paino 5,1 kg

Or this one which dont require too much
space nor depth..I think if this one could be made so it would be on the pullout on a thin countertop maybe ... :thinking:

Cramer- liesitaso 32,5 x 45 cm, asennussyvyys 5 cm. Ruostumatonta terästä. Translation is

Its a Cramer Brand, gas stove top, 32.5 x 45 and the depth is only 5 Centimeters, Stainless Steel. Sort of like it better than the 1st..

Did you mean the top cabinets then should be the 23.62 inches then as well to make them correspond to the countertop? Hopefully I understood correctly?

Best wishes
Heikki and the Crew
Last edited by Classic Finn on Sun Sep 10, 2006 5:42 pm, edited 7 times in total.

Classic Finn
Midnight Sun Voyager
Midnight Sun Voyager

Postby madjack » Sun Sep 10, 2006 5:28 pm

No Heikki, all I meant, was to plan all of them so that they compliment each other...not do one and then think about the other...we found for an auxillary table that 16" wide X 30"s long is a good usable size...smaller than that and your stove may not fit...look in the albums here for different setups for you aux tables
http://pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/laalligat ... /my_photos
madjack 8)
...I have come to believe that, conflict resolution, through violence, is never acceptable.....................mj
madjack
Site Admin

Postby Classic Finn » Sun Sep 10, 2006 5:33 pm

Ok now I know what you meant ... for sure. thank you... :thumbsup: :D

Heikki

Classic Finn
Midnight Sun Voyager
Midnight Sun Voyager

Postby Todah Tear » Mon Sep 11, 2006 10:08 am

Classic Finn,

My countertop is 20" deep X 56 wide. It is on slides that allow it to slide from the galley back into the body so that I can have more headroom when I am using it for studying or typing or sculpting.

Todah
"It is not good to have zeal without knowledge, nor to be hasty and miss the way." Proverbs 19:2 Image
Todah Tear
Platinum Donating Member

Return to Teardrop Construction Tips & Techniques