Fridge / Freezer Type & Venting ?

General Discussion about almost anything Teardrop or camping related

Fridge / Freezer Type & Venting ?

Postby Niall » Wed Sep 06, 2006 12:02 am

Hi,

I'm a newish recruit and have found myslef a stumbling block. I would like to have some sort of food cooler/freezer storage in my TD. I'm an aussie and we that live here know that AC power and ice are things that are not always available. So i have looked through countless sites that sell both compressor and absorbtion style fridges, but they all seem very tall ( height ) which means my galley height ends up too high and ( due to the TD shape ) it's height also pushes the galley back into the cabin. I would really just like some help - i.e. what others have done and why and what seems to be the most user friendly.

Thanks in Advance.

Niall.
Niall
Silver Donating Member

Postby madjack » Wed Sep 06, 2006 12:21 am

Nial...PaulC from down under swears by the Engel AC/DC compressor fridges...they are about the size of a cooler and on up and should be fittable inna galley...personally, I like the Dometic 3way absorbtion fridge...it is also about the size of a cooler and can be run on propane in an extended boonie camping situation. I don't have one at present but do plan on aquiring one soon...oh yeah...over here, the Engels go for around $600USD and up and the Dometic for around $375USD
madjack 8)
...I have come to believe that, conflict resolution, through violence, is never acceptable.....................mj
madjack
Site Admin

Postby sdtripper2 » Wed Sep 06, 2006 12:47 am

Jack...

You recommend wrote:Dometic 3way absorption fridge

What model are you looking at? http://www.dometicusa.com/refrigerators.php

Haven't see the prices yet but would like cold food too without ice.
You seem to be very interested in this subject as are many.

Can you elaborate ?
What model?
Why that choice?
Where can one get the best prices for this product?
"A man who is good enough to shed his blood for his country
is good enough to be given a square deal afterwards." -------Theodore Roosevelt

Steve
sdtripper2
Search Garoux

Postby Niall » Wed Sep 06, 2006 1:03 am

thanks i'll go check out the one paul uses. i would like a 3 way fridge, but venting is a problem, i contected a manufacturer about the need for rear only venting -( dometic ) his reply was "Unfortunately the fridge vents need to be fitted to directly behind the top and the bottom of the fridge not on the side as it may cause overheating. " this ruled out allowing the rear of the fridge facing an interior wall.

niall.
Niall
Silver Donating Member

Postby madjack » Wed Sep 06, 2006 3:09 am

Steve, this is the unit I have been looking at http://www.campingworld.com/browse/skus ... 9&src=SRQB
I like the Engels but they are almost twice as expensive and for me just not worth the money...this Dometic is an absorption fridge...plug it into 120VAC at home and get it as cold as wanted, transfer it to your vehicle and run it on 12VDC and when you get to the campground you can run it off of shore power if available or run it off of propane if not...I have read a couple of real world tests on it and they were very good, has a very low propane usage and just plain works...don't ask for a link...I have lost it...the RC4000(in your link) is a similar unit...I don't know how they actually compare size wise
madjack 8)
EDIT...found the size diff...the rc4000 is 2liters smaller
Last edited by madjack on Wed Sep 06, 2006 3:39 am, edited 2 times in total.
...I have come to believe that, conflict resolution, through violence, is never acceptable.....................mj
madjack
Site Admin

Postby PaulC » Wed Sep 06, 2006 3:32 am

Hi Niall, I use the 40l engel BUT I carry it in my vehicle. You should look at the 18l in either waeco or engel. You dip out on carry capabilities but it will keep the beer ice cold. The other alternative is to fit a box to the front and use a evacool type esky.
Check out Reiner's famous Aussie tears in the hall of fame to see how he gets around the problem. He uses an evakool fitted to the front of his offroader.
The three way waeco retails for under $400.00AUD the last time I checked.
Cheers
Paul :thumbsup:
Time is the only real capital we have. Money you can replace but time you cannot.
PaulC
3rd Teardrop Club

Postby Niall » Wed Sep 06, 2006 4:35 am

http://www.engelaustralia.com.au

this is the unit i think i will use, model ST70F ( 57 L ),
here is the link to the PDF

http://www.engelaustralia.com.au/documents/SR70F.pdf

Its compact size is a winner and will leave me loads of room, the length of most chest / eski styles pushes the galley wall to far back if stored lengthways.
I may even back it up with a small obsorbtion ( 3 way )cooler( in the car ), that way i'll never be without !

Thanks,

Niall.
Niall
Silver Donating Member

Postby angib » Wed Sep 06, 2006 12:15 pm

You can build your own fridge if you want to, and are willing to pay for it. The coils, condenser and pump can be purchased to do a custom installation in a boat here, so I guess they should be available in Oz too. Of course, because it contains the word 'boat', the price is at least twice what it would otherwise be.

Andrew
angib
5000 Club
5000 Club

Dometic RC3000 RC4000 RM4223 refrigerator

Postby sdtripper2 » Thu Sep 07, 2006 1:09 am

MadOne:

This is for you. :)

Dometic RC3000

Image Image Image
Dometic Corp., P.O. Box 490, Elkhart, IN 46515. Phone 219-294-2511

Dometic Portable RC3000 Refrigerator

Rugged ... Compact ... Lightweight

This versatile portable is perfect for campsites, boating or tailgate parties.
Uses three power sources: LP gas, 12-volt DC and 120-volt AC.

* 35-liter capacity
* Easily-fastened pulling handle
* Push button piezo igniter
* Hermetically sealed lid
* Durable plastic molded casing
* Turquoise color

Exterior Dimensions
Height:
18" without wheels
21" with wheels
Width: 23-5/8"
Depth: 16-1/4"

Interior Dimensions
Height: 13-1/8"
Width: 19-1/8"

Depth: 8-11/16" I have an issue with this dimension.
http://tinyurl.com/la5rs
http://tinyurl.com/p9fqg

Dometic portable freezers and refrigerators are great for extended outings. The freezers consist of one-piece lightweight molded cases with foam insulation. For continuous cooling, plug them into a vehicle's cigarette lighter or any standard AC outlet. At just under 20", the DC400, with a capacity of 1.5 cubic feet, fits into the RV basement storage compartment. The DC 550, with a capacity of 2 cubic feet, has travel latches to ensure a tight seal. Both run on 12 volt DC and 120 volt AC power. Dial back the thermostats on these units and they become portable refrigerators. The RC3000 portable refrigerator, with a storage [b]capacity of 1.5 cubic feet, has a snap-on handle and wheels for greater mobility. Using Dometic's absorption cooling method, it runs on three types of power: 12 volt, 110 volt, or LP gas. It has a push-button piezo igniter for gas operation and an LED indicator for AC operation. The lid is hermetically sealed and its uni-body design won't dent or rust. For information, surf www.dometic.com.

The RC4000 http://tinyurl.com/pwo37 http://tinyurl.com/z5svv Large 1.2 cu ft interior holds plenty of drinks for the whole family. Lightweight and compact with rugged gray plastic exterior. Includes thermostat and push button piezo igniter. Works with three different power sources: LP gas, 12-volt DC, or 120-volt AC. 20½"Hx20½"Wx18"D, 45 lb.

The MadOne wrote:Dometic is an absorption fridge...plug it into 120VAC at home and get it as cold as wanted, transfer it to your vehicle and run it on 12VDC and when you get to the campground you can run it off of shore power if available or run it off of propane if not...I have read a couple of real world tests on it and they were very good, has a very low propane usage and just plain works...don't ask for a link...I have lost it...the RC4000(in your link) is a similar unit...I don't know how they actually compare size wise
madjack Cool
EDIT...found the size diff...the rc4000 is 2liters smaller

MadOne:

I am having an issue with the size of the RC3000 Vrs. the RC4000. Besides the most likely fact that the RC3000 seem scarce. the small interior size of the RC3000 seems not too good. NOTE: the interior size of the 3k and the 4k and something don't add uP. What is your response and do you really think the 3k size is big enough for your needs?

I am now looking at the Dometic RM4223 and doing some comparisons.
http://tinyurl.com/r9bqz
"A man who is good enough to shed his blood for his country
is good enough to be given a square deal afterwards." -------Theodore Roosevelt

Steve
sdtripper2
Search Garoux

Postby Niall » Thu Sep 07, 2006 1:26 am

Steve,

Can i ask how you are going to vent the fridge if its part of your galley ? I'm told that without the correct venting overheating will occur, not to mention the danger in fumes from unburnt propane. This was my biggest issue.

Thanks,

Niall
Niall
Silver Donating Member

Postby madjack » Thu Sep 07, 2006 1:33 am

Tripperman, the differences on dimensions have at times driven me :? trying to figure them out...this is the first time I have actually seen any INSIDE dimensions on the 3000...the dimensions shown for the 4000 haveta be outside...will it work...probably. The thing to remember is that ice is not needed so you cut by 30% the volume needed...I am not looking for something to keep drinks in but rather foodstuffs and for that usage, it would work...it works out to 30+ quart capacity and I have had several 35 Qt coolers and without ice they would suffice...I would be interested in what you come up with on the 4223, specifically on venting requirements...we am presently building 8' long tears and the portability features of the 3000/4000 line attracts me to them since there is not adequate storage for bigger coolers and fridges in them
madjack 8)
madjack
Site Admin

Postby madjack » Thu Sep 07, 2006 1:50 am

...looking at the instalation manual for the 4223, it appears there is a side vent kit for it, which would allow it to be installed next to an outside wall...Damn Dometic site is hard to navigate and find anything but press releases......
madjack 8)
madjack
Site Admin

Postby Niall » Thu Sep 07, 2006 1:59 am

Yes, i saw those too and sent off an email thinking the very same thought, this is it - and the responce.

Hi,

I'm building a small van and would like to know if a 3 way fridge can be vented to the side using 2 x part number 8018-999 vents. As the rear of the fridge will not face an exterior wall !

Hi Niall,

Unfortunately the fridge vents need to be fitted to the top and the bottom of the fridge not on the side as it may cause overheating.

Niall.
Niall
Silver Donating Member

Postby Niall » Thu Sep 07, 2006 2:12 am

This is the vent kit i spoke of !

REFRIGERATOR FLUE/VENT KIT - TYPE A

A specially designed baffled ventilation system for discharging exhaust gases from refrigerator heat exchangers. Recommended for maximum performance in mini motor homes and boat installations.8018-999
Niall
Silver Donating Member

Postby Eski » Sat Sep 09, 2006 8:39 am

Niall,

Been researching fridges for some time now, and you're right, it's hard to find something that will "fit just perfectly" .

My opinion is you go for an Engel type setup, bit dearer than the Waeco, but built tough.

Personally, I'm getting one of the Ice Box Conversion kits from Engel, can fit it to any size Esky, and they work great, my mate has one. Just a matter of installing it in my 100L Marine Esky... :thinking: Retails for roughly AUS$820.

I'm sure whatever you end up getting, it will have it's own pro's and con's.

Adam.
Eski
Teardrop Builder

Return to General Discussion