Questions about door hinges.

Anything to do with mechanical, construction etc

Questions about door hinges.

Postby mfkaplan » Wed Sep 06, 2006 8:29 pm

I'm not veryexperienced in carpentry. Rebuilding my tear is the most difficult thing Iv'e done. The first time around I just fixed it up so I could get to the IRG. No way would it survive in the rain. I also couldnt put propper locks on the doors. The first project is the doors. Loved the curves but making them match the body is beyond my skills. Reframed doorway as a rectangle. Nice and square now. Made new doors, square, flat and best of all, they fit perfectly.

I'm ready for the hinges. Got aluminum that need to be drilled. I'm hiding the door side under the trim. Can I tuck the body side between the door and body. Got stainless steel wood screws. They are flat headed but need a tapered hole. What kind of bit do I need to drill the hinge. I have bits for wood that countersink wood screw heads. Do I need a special metal bit. I don't want to ruin the ones I have.
Mary
Mom's Nest
Mary
Mom's Nest
mfkaplan
Gold Donating Member

Postby halfdome, Danny » Wed Sep 06, 2006 9:11 pm

Mary, get a countersink bit for the aluminum and then Order a self centering bit. They are both available from from http://www.rockler.com/. It will drill the hole in perfect center ( in the wood) for each screw hole. :) Danny

self centering bit
ImageImage
"Conditions are never just right. People who delay action until all factors are favorable do nothing". William Feather
Don't accept "It's Good Enough" build to the best of your abilities.
Teardroppers Of Oregon & WashingtonImage
halfdome, Danny
*Happy Camper

Postby GPW » Thu Sep 07, 2006 7:29 am

I just used "what I had" to build the TD ... No special tools required... We did alot of drilling /countersinking in Aluminum , used a regular CS bit for the entire job , and the only problem is we got the pilot bit sideways (somehow?) and broke it ... No big deal ... Go for it dude !!!! :)
There’s no place like Foam !
GPW
Gold Donating Member

Postby mfkaplan » Thu Sep 07, 2006 11:36 am

Thanks! Both of you have been a big help. I already have a countersink bit. Was afraid to try it on metal. Didn't want to ruin it because I use it almost exclusively. It was not cheap considering how small it is. I find I'm visiting the box stores almost more than the grocery store lately. Had to buy a new brad gun yesterday because the old one died.

Mary
Mom's nest
Mary
Mom's Nest
mfkaplan
Gold Donating Member

Postby madjack » Thu Sep 07, 2006 11:41 am

Mary, alomost any tool you can use to work wood, you can use on the AL...at least that has been our experience...(by and large, kinda/sorta, more r less)
madjack 8)
...I have come to believe that, conflict resolution, through violence, is never acceptable.....................mj
madjack
Site Admin

Postby mfkaplan » Thu Sep 07, 2006 2:08 pm

Thanks MadJack. I am reasured. I will forge ahead. I am really pleased with my doors. This time taking my time and also its not so hot. Only 88 at noon rather than over 100.

Mary
Mom's Nest
Mary
Mom's Nest
mfkaplan
Gold Donating Member

Return to Teardrop Construction Tips & Techniques