Dumb epoxy Question

Anything to do with mechanical, construction etc

Dumb epoxy Question

Postby Miriam C. » Fri Sep 08, 2006 7:38 pm

So I have read over everything I could find about epoxy and haven't heard this one. Does epoxy stick to itself???

I put it on a little high up so the next layer will cover some of it.Yes it is dry. Not screwed down or glued yet and have a second layer to go on.

Thanks for helping.
“Forgiveness means giving up all hope for a better past.â€
Miriam C.
our Aunti M

Postby asianflava » Fri Sep 08, 2006 8:19 pm

If you put on the second coat before it fully sets up (not runny but still sticky) it will bond chemically.

If it is cured, you could rough it up with sandpaper so that it can bond mechanically. When you sand, it should come off in white powder and not gum up the paper.
asianflava
8000 Club
8000 Club

Postby Juneaudave » Fri Sep 08, 2006 9:08 pm

asianflava wrote:If you put on the second coat before it fully sets up (not runny but still sticky) it will bond chemically.

If it is cured, you could rough it up with sandpaper so that it can bond mechanically. When you sand, it should come off in white powder and not gum up the paper.

Asianflava is absolutely correct. A couple of additional thoughts...

...a good test on whether epoxy will bond chemically is to see if you can dent it with a fingernail. Some epoxies cure slow, some fast. I'm now using MAS(with the slow hardener) and it gives me about 14 hours before I have to recoat. I used to use West System 107 and the open time was much less.

....regardless of the epoxy used, you need to make sure that it hasn't "blushed". That's a waxy film that occurs on the epoxy as it dries, and can be easily washed off with vinagar. Most brand name epoxies advertise that they do not blush. I've found that to be true. If you have a no-name epoxy (which will probably work well), you need to be aware.

...epoxy can really sensitize your skin and breathing. It can be dangerous if you sand it before it is fully cured..1 to 2 weeks. Be sure to use an appropriate respirator if you decide to sand earlier than is recommended.
Juneaudave
Super Duper Lifetime Member

Postby Miriam C. » Fri Sep 08, 2006 11:02 pm

:o :shock: :?
...epoxy can really sensitize your skin and breathing. It can be dangerous if you sand it before it is fully cured..1 to 2 weeks. Be sure to use an appropriate respirator if you decide to sand earlier than is recommended.

Boy that was a timely warning. I put it on today but won't mess with it till tomorow. Respirator for chemical born/small particles, right????

No blushing so far. It really is beautiful but will be hidden. Bondo is the only marine epoxy I could find around here, and only a pint set at that. I got it for all those strange edges that I don't want black goo on.
“Forgiveness means giving up all hope for a better past.â€
Miriam C.
our Aunti M

Return to Teardrop Construction Tips & Techniques