Piano Hinge Question

Anything to do with mechanical, construction etc

Piano Hinge Question

Postby kayakrguy » Sun Sep 10, 2006 9:33 am

Hi Folks,

I am at the 'order the hinges' stage.

I am going to use piano hinges on doors.

Would appreciate advice on where to get same and whether they need to be offset or not....some people do some don't?

I know that stainless steel is preferred material and will stick with the group's wisdom on that <g>

Many Thanks and Encouragement to all!

Jim
A disposition to preserve, and an ability to improve, taken together, would be my standard of a statesman...

But what is liberty without wisdom, and without virtue? It is the greatest of all possible evils; for it is folly, vice, and madness, without tuition or restraint.

Edmund Burke
kayakrguy
Lifetime member

Postby madjack » Sun Sep 10, 2006 10:09 am

Jim, we got ours at Austin Hardware...check around for local sources to save on shipping...avoid anyplace that has "marine" in their name...don't know if they sell hinges but Fastenal is an excellent souce for SS hardware (screws and such)...
madjack 8)
ps...when I get over to the shop, I will look up that part# forya
...I have come to believe that, conflict resolution, through violence, is never acceptable.....................mj
madjack
Site Admin

Postby asianflava » Sun Sep 10, 2006 3:18 pm

Got my door and hatch hinges from Grant (Lil Bear Tag along). The extra bend in the hinge really stiffens up the door to avoid the dreaded warpage. The offset also gives you room for weatherstripping.

I'm really happy with them. However, if your doors and/or wall is much thicker than 1" you might not be able to get them. Call or E-mail Grant to make shure.

I got some of my stainless fasteners from an eBay seller. He was good because he sold variety packs. The bulk of the fasteners I bought came from Fastenal. You have to buy at least 100 at a time though (or at least I did).
asianflava
8000 Club
8000 Club

Postby Ken A Hood » Sun Sep 10, 2006 3:26 pm

http://www.stainless-hinges.com/hinge_t ... hole_specs

They can custom form hinges for you, and the have several differnet styles, countersunk holes, no holes punched holes; as well as different knuckle configurations..

Disclaimer: I in no way resemble the avatar shown. Furthermore, I in no way have any affiliation to the Trailer Park Boys and more specifically Bubbles!
Ken A Hood
500 Club

Postby JunkMan » Sun Sep 10, 2006 8:20 pm

I got mine from Fastenall this spring. They had several different sizes availible, but did not carry all at the local store (but they wrere able to get them).
Jeff & Odie
Black Hills of South Dakota
JunkMan
500 Club

Postby Steve Frederick » Sun Sep 10, 2006 8:30 pm

Jim, Check my PM!
Blessings, Steve
Adirondacks, Upstate New York
Building Journals
The Shop Manual's 8-years old!! Thank's everyone!
New! 'Rondack Lodge Plans!Order Here!
Steve Frederick
Custom Teardrop Builder

Location: Upstate New York, Adirondacks (Great Sacandaga Lake)

Postby surveytech » Mon Sep 11, 2006 3:23 am

Fastenal has a local store here and they were able to get them for me in about 2 days from Atlanta.
Saved shipping costs.
surveytech
Donating Member

Hinge pin question...

Postby kayakrguy » Tue Sep 19, 2006 4:38 pm

Folks,

Doors, internal seal plate (?) all sanded, ready to 'spot' --line up hinges on wall and door for FUTURE installation after the walls are up etc.

My question is: The pin in the piano hinge can drop out, either top or bottom...how to prevent without binding the hinge? I have searched the board archives and can't find anything dealing with that question, though hinges seem to be a VERY popular topic <g>

Thanks again,

Jim
A disposition to preserve, and an ability to improve, taken together, would be my standard of a statesman...

But what is liberty without wisdom, and without virtue? It is the greatest of all possible evils; for it is folly, vice, and madness, without tuition or restraint.

Edmund Burke
kayakrguy
Lifetime member

Postby madjack » Tue Sep 19, 2006 5:01 pm

Jim. take a punch, cold chisel or just a hammer and give the bottom most knuckle a good whack(or 2) or to be technical..."peen" it............
madjack 8)
...I have come to believe that, conflict resolution, through violence, is never acceptable.....................mj
madjack
Site Admin

Postby Steve Frederick » Tue Sep 19, 2006 5:07 pm

madjack wrote:Jim. take a punch, cold chisel or just a hammer and give the bottom most knuckle a good whack(or 2) or to be technical..."peen" it............
madjack 8)

Check my PM Jim! Jack's got the plan!!
Blessings, Steve
Adirondacks, Upstate New York
Building Journals
The Shop Manual's 8-years old!! Thank's everyone!
New! 'Rondack Lodge Plans!Order Here!
Steve Frederick
Custom Teardrop Builder

Location: Upstate New York, Adirondacks (Great Sacandaga Lake)

Postby kayakrguy » Thu Sep 21, 2006 6:41 am

Finally, a technique I have experience with..when in doubt, just give it a whack! <g>

Thanks guys--I did both ends just to be safe <g>

Jim

Edmund Burke
kayakrguy
Lifetime member

Postby Roly Nelson » Sat Sep 23, 2006 11:37 pm

I picked up my 48" piano hinges from Home Depot for about 10 bucks each. They are over 3 years old now, no leaks and no rust, so far. If I do have a problem, I'll replace them with duplicate new hinges. I did weatherstrip all around the doors, which BWY are all wood.........of course.

Roly, building simple........and cheap!
See the little 1/2 Nelson Woody constructions pics at: http://gages-56.com/roly.html
Roly Nelson
L'il Ol' Woody Builder

Postby Chaotica » Sun Sep 24, 2006 2:04 am

Roly Nelson wrote:I picked up my 48" piano hinges from Home Depot for about 10 bucks each. They are over 3 years old now, no leaks and no rust, so far. If I do have a problem, I'll replace them with duplicate new hinges. I did weatherstrip all around the doors, which BWY are all wood.........of course.

hmm.......does this mean Roly's all wood tear isn't really all wood? :lol:
Ed
Chaotica
Teardrop Master

Postby madjack » Sun Sep 24, 2006 2:34 am

Chaotica wrote:
Roly Nelson wrote:I picked up my 48" piano hinges from Home Depot for about 10 bucks each. They are over 3 years old now, no leaks and no rust, so far. If I do have a problem, I'll replace them with duplicate new hinges. I did weatherstrip all around the doors, which BWY are all wood.........of course.

hmm.......does this mean Roly's all wood tear isn't really all wood? :lol:

hey, it's all wood...except for those parts that aren't :D :lol: ;) ............................................ 8)
madjack
Site Admin

Return to Teardrop Construction Tips & Techniques