Ok Transfer and License ?

General Discussion about almost anything Teardrop or camping related

Ok Transfer and License ?

Postby Bodyman » Mon Sep 11, 2006 11:23 am

Teardrop #1 will be making the 800 mile trip to it’s new home in Durant, Ok the end of the month.
It had already been inspected, titled and licensed in Iowa as a camper trailer. My daughter would like to know ahead of time the procedures and costs to transfir it to a legal Ok registration.
On that subject, Iowa license is very painless. License on camper trailers is figured by square foot. The license on a 5x8 tear is only $8 a year. Even a simple utility trailer is $10

Randy
Bodyman
Gold Donating Member

Postby oklahomajewel » Mon Sep 11, 2006 12:03 pm

I'm in Oklahoma City and another Oklahoman here JPLOCK said utility trailers don't have to have a license plate, and the teardrop could be consider 'utility' ...

Sorry, can't find a web link right now...

Julie
Some things are way over my head !! ...but it keeps me looking UP!
oklahomajewel
3000 Club
3000 Club

Postby Bodyman » Mon Sep 11, 2006 1:07 pm

As I posted this has already been titled in Iowa as a camper trailer so I'm sure would be considered a camper in Ok

Randy
Bodyman
Gold Donating Member

Postby emiller » Mon Sep 11, 2006 2:19 pm

Unless it's not coming out of Oklahoma it should be licences, in some states it has to have a plate on it. I got pulled over here in Arizona when I built my first teardrop and was told to get it licenced or get ticketed. Nice cop just gave me a warning.
emiller
Donating Member

Postby sid » Mon Sep 11, 2006 2:27 pm

All states are different. In Tennessee, you do not have to have a tag, unless you carry it out of state, then it is required.

I would recommend you call contact OK prior to your trip. Also, in TN, if it is a "gift", there is a form to fill out so no sales tax has to be paid. Otherwise $>
sid n side
"If you're going through hell, keep going......" Winston Churchhill

Side by Side - completed October 2008
sid
Donating Member

Postby kiacker » Mon Sep 11, 2006 2:35 pm

I live in Iowa too and am looking to start building my own TearDrop soon. What does it take to license one in Iowa or can you point me in the direction of where to find info on doing so? Is it through the DOT or the county? I've looked but not found anything. A friend told me you could license just the trailer & not worry about licensing the Tear after it's built. Don't know that I can trust their advice (a non-teardrop friend). The plan is to build a 4x8 on a Harbor Freight trailer(yet to be purchased).
Thanks in advance for the help!
:thumbsup:
Lisa
Lisa

My life's work is to be my dog's servant, pay his rent, drive him to the park, and keep his food bowl full!
kiacker
Teardrop Advisor

Postby Bodyman » Mon Sep 11, 2006 3:04 pm

Lisa
Iowa considers anything with sleeping quarters in it to be a camper.
Very simple procedure for titling a homebuilt teardrop. You need to keep all reciepts and make sure you separate the ones which you have not paid sales tax on. You will need to pay this tax when you title it.
When you have your camper road worthy with all lights working call your county treasurer. They will have the number of the DOT inspecter. He will give your camper a quick look, check your paperwork, figure sales tax owed and stamp numbers on the tongue. No charge for him. You then take paperwork he gives you to your treasurers office and pay the money for the title and plate.
What part of Iowa are you from?
Randy
Bodyman
Gold Donating Member

Postby Bill_Storey » Mon Sep 11, 2006 5:22 pm

OK Tax Commission has a web site with a PDF at http://www.oktax.state.ok.us/rules/rule6005.pdf . Look on page 26 of 103 on the PDF for OK's definition of a travel trailer. I think pretty much all she will need to do is take IA title and registration to the local Tag Agent and they can help her. It's really no big deal. Sorry, but I don't know how to do a tiny url.
Bill_Storey
Teardrop Advisor

Postby dacrazyrn » Mon Sep 11, 2006 6:00 pm

dacrazyrn
Teardrop Master

Postby GHOSTSSX » Mon Sep 11, 2006 8:04 pm

I don't get it...pay taxes for items bought without tax...on something you build from scratch?? That's just crazy!!

CHUCK
GHOSTSSX
Teardrop Master

Postby kiacker » Mon Sep 11, 2006 9:41 pm

Hi Randy,
I live in Des Moines. I'm in the process of building a garage and boy, that will give you a quick lesson in laws, codes, regulations, and what you can and cannot do! Like "you need a permit to do what????" :x :x "Honestly, I didn't know that!" :cry: :cry: I know the rules are there to protect everyone, but I really wish they were written down somewhere! Just don't want to make the same silly mistakes with the Tear.
Thanks for the help!
Lisa
Lisa

My life's work is to be my dog's servant, pay his rent, drive him to the park, and keep his food bowl full!
kiacker
Teardrop Advisor

Postby Bodyman » Tue Sep 12, 2006 8:02 am

Thanks everyone
The way I am reading things Oklahoma like Iowa considers a teardrop a travel trailer and legally it needs to be licensed. Should be just a simple transfer for my daughter.
Chuck
It's not hard to understand Iowa does not want to miss out on any taxes The worst part is if I were to build one license it and pay taxes due today Then sell it next week sales tax would be due again on the whole sales price.
Randy
Bodyman
Gold Donating Member

Postby Melvin » Tue Sep 12, 2006 9:10 am

GHOSTSSX wrote:I don't get it...pay taxes for items bought without tax...on something you build from scratch?? That's just crazy!!
CHUCK

Better than paying sales tax on the whole amount! :)

This is just a way to collect sales tax on private sales. Most places you are required to remit the sales tax that you didn't pay to the vendor on a private sale. No-one ever does this of course (I'd bet most places it would take you a week to get the goverment agent to track down the form) except for items that have to be registered.

Could be worse, Washington state residents used to effectively pay a 2.2% sales tax every year on their cars. The fee for registration was based on the vehicle's current value.
Commandant Louis Joseph Lahure has a singular distinction in military history - he defeated a navy on horseback. Occupying Holland in January 1795, the French continental army learned that the mighty Dutch navy had been frozen into the ice around Texel Island. So Lahure and 128 men simply rode up to it and demanded surrender. No shots were fired.
Melvin
Teardrop Master

Return to General Discussion