Steel fenders- finishing options?

Anything to do with mechanical, construction etc

Steel fenders- finishing options?

Postby greasywheats » Mon Sep 11, 2006 1:56 pm

Howdy all-
I just got a set of steel round trailer fenders that fit my unusual spacing for my 15" rims. What are my options for finishing them? I could have them chromed for $100 a pop (yikes)...Otherwise is it just paint (spray or powder coat?) and then clear coat them? Could they be polished and just clear coated- i think they'd match the mill finish aluminum. Any suggestions would help.
Thanks!
greasywheats
Teardrop Master

Postby halfdome, Danny » Mon Sep 11, 2006 2:39 pm

Chrome lasts for a long time with proper care, paint chips, powder coat is better than paint. $100 each to chrome is reasonable. In Seattle I've heard of $150 each to be chromed. Mine were $88 each to chrome and would do it again. I guess you could have them Rhino coated, I've seen that, don't know the cost though. Danny
ImageImage
"Conditions are never just right. People who delay action until all factors are favorable do nothing". William Feather
Don't accept "It's Good Enough" build to the best of your abilities.
Teardroppers Of Oregon & WashingtonImage
halfdome, Danny
*Happy Camper

Postby funomenal » Mon Sep 11, 2006 10:55 pm

hi Greasy...

I have the same dilemma as I refuse to pay $120 per fender for chrome. Powder coating runs $90 per fender in the Bay Area. I planned to just clear coat it because I like the raw steel look, but realized rust could ensue if rocks hit and chipped the fender. However, I found a rust preventer made by Lock Tite (Home Depot) that supposedly stops rust on all steel products. It recommends recoating after 6 months. I may spray that onto the fender with a clear coat on top of it. I'll keep a close eye on chips and will have to treat the fender immediately with rust preventer. The rust preventer is only $4.99 per can so it is very cost effective.

To further prevent rust, I will prime the bottom side of the fender with spray on primer and spray paint.
funomenal
Teardrop Advisor

Location: Tracy , California (Home of the World's Longest Lasting Tire Fire!)

Postby dahoon » Mon Sep 11, 2006 11:42 pm

I am thinking (as skewed as it may be) of laminating wood to steel fenders.

:thinking:

Mike
p.s.: I'm also building a woody.
dahoon
Teardrop Master

Postby Mike Spicer » Mon Sep 11, 2006 11:55 pm

My fenders (inside & out), Front box (inside & out) front of trailer, and top side strips were sprayed with bed liner. I realy like it. No rock chips. Cost me about $300 dollars for all of it a few years ago.

Mike
Home Built 4x10
Mike Spicer
Teardrop Builder

Postby greasywheats » Wed Sep 13, 2006 12:00 am

Thanks for the input guys...I think i am now leaning towards chroming the fenders....i like the look and don't want to worry about their durability.
Thanks! :applause:
greasywheats
Teardrop Master

Postby kurtibm » Wed Sep 13, 2006 2:27 am

greasywheats wrote:Thanks for the input guys...I think i am now leaning towards chroming the fenders....i like the look and don't want to worry about their durability.
Thanks! :applause:

A viable option for protecting powder-coated, painted or chromed fenders is 3M's "Clear Bra" ( insert shameless humor here ______)
http://www.automotivearticles.com/Clear_Bra_3M.shtml
I'd guess-ti-mate that $10.00-$25.00 +/- from the local installer would get you enough for the fronts of two TD fenders (or other leading surfaces of your trailer). It can, as well, be mail-ordered and installed by you after receipt.
(As stated in the above link, this is effective against small stones & sand - it will not prevent (as Rhino lining may) dents caused by large stones, rocks and large debris)

kurt
Last edited by kurtibm on Thu Sep 14, 2006 6:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
It is not the years in your life that matter, it's the life in your years.
kurtibm
Donating Member

Postby coreyjhen » Wed Sep 13, 2006 9:01 am

I just ordered a home powder coating system and red powder from HF for under $60 total including shipping. I also picked up an old electric stove off Freecycle. I'll let you know how things turn out in a couple of weeks when the powder coating equipment shows up.
"They laughed at Columbus, they laughed at Fulton, they laughed at the Wright brothers. But they also laughed at Bozo the Clown." - Carl Sagan
coreyjhen
Teardrop Master

Return to Teardrop Construction Tips & Techniques