HEEEEeeeeelllllpppp!!

Anything electric, AC or DC

HEEEEeeeeelllllpppp!!

Postby Micro469 » Mon Sep 11, 2006 10:08 pm

I want to have an AC outlet in the galley and one in the tear. This will be run off shore power if ever needed. I want to mount them back to back. Now... Can I just run one (1) cable and connect them together? I doubt both outlets will ever be used at the same time, and looking at the wiring in my house, I got two bedrooms and the bathroom on one 15 amp fuse. Just wondering how safe it would be in a tear. I want to keep it as simple as possible, but I don't want to fry while I'm still alive. Plenty of time for that after they bury me...........
John
Micro469
Super Lifetime Member

Postby madjack » Mon Sep 11, 2006 10:12 pm

No problem John...make the first one a GFI outlet and then run to the second(non GFI) and both will be GFI protected...be sure they are breaker or fuse protected as well.........
madjack 8)
...I have come to believe that, conflict resolution, through violence, is never acceptable.....................mj
madjack
Site Admin

Postby asianflava » Mon Sep 11, 2006 10:26 pm

madjack wrote:No problem John...make the first one a GFI outlet and then run to the second(non GFI) and both will be GFI protected...be sure they are breaker or fuse protected as well.........
madjack 8)

On that note, the GFI putlet will have 2 sets of terminals. One marked line and the other marked load. The incoming should hook up to the line, and the output side is hooked to load.

This way both are protected by the same GFI yet all you need for the second outlet is the cheaper plain outlet. I have 1 GFI outlet and 2 regular outlets are slaved off of it. There is a big price difference between a regular outlet and a GFI outlets.
asianflava
8000 Club
8000 Club

Postby Micro469 » Mon Sep 11, 2006 10:27 pm

So .. I would run it shore power---breaker/fuse-----gfi----outlet? :roll:
John
Micro469
Super Lifetime Member

Postby asianflava » Mon Sep 11, 2006 10:30 pm

Yup sounds good, just make shure the GFCI outlet is accessable.

Mine is supposed to be but my battery tray is all busted up and doesn't want to slide anymore. After pulling the tray out, to reach the test/reset button, it is a royal pain to get back into it's home.
asianflava
8000 Club
8000 Club

Postby madjack » Mon Sep 11, 2006 11:02 pm

...John...excuse my poor use of paint.......... 8)

...I have come to believe that, conflict resolution, through violence, is never acceptable.....................mj
madjack
Site Admin

Postby Dale M. » Mon Sep 11, 2006 11:32 pm

OR just go from, Shore Power >>> GFI BREAKER (15 amp)>>> Standard Outlet >>> Standard Outlet...

Dale
Lives his life vicariously through his own self.

Any statement made by me are strictly my own opinion.
You are free to ignore anything I say if you do not agree.

Dale M.
2000 Club
2000 Club

Postby Micro469 » Mon Sep 11, 2006 11:35 pm

Thanks Guys, that helps. the only thing I'm not sure of is the breaker.. That means I have to put a breaker box or a fuse box in right? any thoughts on a small one?
John
Micro469
Super Lifetime Member

Postby Dale M. » Tue Sep 12, 2006 12:35 am

Yes you will need a breaker or fuse box... Check local hardware or building supply or maybe RV shop... Think smallest available has space for two breakers..

Dale
Lives his life vicariously through his own self.

Any statement made by me are strictly my own opinion.
You are free to ignore anything I say if you do not agree.

Dale M.
2000 Club
2000 Club

Postby madjack » Tue Sep 12, 2006 1:03 am

John. an alternative to a breaker box is to use matchbox sized, puchbutton, panel mount breakers...you will have to make a panel to mount them in but that is no biggie..
madjack 8)

madjack
Site Admin

Postby bdosborn » Tue Sep 12, 2006 9:44 pm

Hey, that's a great idea MJ. Where'd you get yours?
Bruce
2009 6.5'X11' TTT - Boxcar
All it takes is a speck of faith and a few kilowatts of sweat and grace.
Boxcar Build
aVANger Build
bdosborn
Donating Member

Postby Micro469 » Tue Sep 12, 2006 11:23 pm

madjack wrote:John. an alternative to a breaker box is to use matchbox sized, puchbutton, panel mount breakers...you will have to make a panel to mount them in but that is no biggie..
madjack 8)

Madjack, can you explain how you wired yours a little more fully? I see that you have a fuse for thecabin as well as one for the galley... 110 right? then you have an on/off switch for the charger, can't read what the red switch is for, then you have a fuse panel for 12 volt, about 5 fuses. a red for + going to battery and a black for - going to battery.... Am I right so far? What do you have on those 5 circuits?

P.S. How did you make your panel?
John
Micro469
Super Lifetime Member

Postby asianflava » Wed Sep 13, 2006 12:39 am

This is my guess, mine is set up very similar.

The breakers go to the 110V outlets, one for the cabin outlets and the other breaker goes to the galley outlets.

Below that is the on/off switch for the charger.

The Red switch below that one is the battery master switch. It disconnects the battery from the system.

The fuses to the Right are for each of the 12V circuits.

Edit: I found the picture of mine, the battery sits underneath.

The only differences is:
I don't have a charger switch
I only have one circuit breaker for all the 110AC
I have a switch (DPDT) that switches a portion of the 110AC from shore power or inverter power.
asianflava
8000 Club
8000 Club

Postby madjack » Wed Sep 13, 2006 12:55 am

asianflava wrote:This is my guess, mine is set up very similar.

The breakers go to the 110V outlets, one for the cabin outlets and the other breaker goes to the galley outlets.

Below that is the on/off switch for the charger.

The Red switch below that one is the battery master switch. It disconnects the battery from the system.

The fuses to the Right are for each of the 12V circuits.

yep, the center switch is a double pole switch, so it controls the 110VAC to the charger and the 12VDC from the charger...the top two are push button breakers not fuses and the cuircuits got water pump, fantastic fan, 12VDC outlet, 12VDC outlet and the light circuit for both galley and cabin lights...those last could be split seperately...also have a couple of runs deadheaded for future use...the panel itself is made out of a piece of formica, painted black
madjack 8)
madjack
Site Admin

Return to Electrical Secrets