How to patch two small tears in my aluminum roof?

Anything to do with mechanical, construction etc

How to patch two small tears in my aluminum roof?

Postby Greg WJs » Thu Sep 14, 2006 8:53 am

I'm rebuilding a truck camper. I know it's not a teardrop, but you guys are builders and I need advice from true builders.

Here's where I started:

Here's a glimpse of what was under the surface:

Here's what I did to fix it:

Now that the framing is basically done, I've begun tearing out the interior paneling in places. The roof was leaking, so two panels had to be removed. Once I was in there I found two small tears in the aluminum. One is about 3" long, the other is less than 1". I think I might have one more as well. That would make three small tears and one giant hole that I will fix with a patch panel.

My question - on the tears, would it be better to mix up some bondo or JB Weld or just hit it with a strip of eternabond? Since I've got the ceiling and the insulation off, I'm looking at clean metal from underneath. On top, it's been coated once with mobile home roof coating (10 years ago). I'm thinking it will be tougher to get anything to stick to that.

Thoughts?
Greg WJs
Teardrop Inspector

Postby doug hodder » Thu Sep 14, 2006 9:51 am

If it were me...I think I'd use 3M's 5200 marine sealant...it's rated for underwater use, and remains pliable...JB, or Bondo is going to be a rigid fix and might be prone to cracking...I think I'd putty up a piece of thin aluminum with 5200 and slip it under... you can get it at a marine supplier...and since I see a boat in the background...I'm sure you know of a supplier...:thinking: Doug
doug hodder
*Snoop Dougie Doug

Postby madjack » Thu Sep 14, 2006 12:02 pm

I'd say that is pretty good advice...and once you have the TC repaired, come on out into the light and build yourself a tear to go with it...
madjack 8)
...I have come to believe that, conflict resolution, through violence, is never acceptable.....................mj
madjack
Site Admin

Postby Greg WJs » Thu Sep 14, 2006 12:28 pm

I actually converted a cargo trailer to a version of a teardrop - in terms of the chuck wagon kitchen:

Two sets of bunks inside, a window unit, and a set of shelves. It sleeps 4 adults and the back doors open to the inside allowing you to carry a 4 wheeler.

But, I'm more of a boat guy than a 4 wheeler guy and need something I can camp in while towing a boat. Hence the ugly camper.

Thanks for the tips though. You guys seem to know your stuff in terms of building RV's. :thumbsup:
Greg WJs
Teardrop Inspector

Postby Joseph » Thu Sep 14, 2006 12:41 pm

A couple of beer cans and a pop-rivet gun? 8)

Joseph
Joseph
Teardrop Pirate

Postby Greg WJs » Thu Sep 14, 2006 12:48 pm

Joseph wrote:A couple of beer cans and a pop-rivet gun? 8)

Joseph

Do you rivet them on standing up or laying on their sides?
Greg WJs
Teardrop Inspector

Postby Podunkfla » Thu Sep 14, 2006 2:04 pm

I have repaired a number of metal roofs with "PL Urithane" grey color and a scrap of matching metal. I just wirebrush the area, clean with lacquer thinner, then bed the patch in urithane. You can wipe off the squeezout with mineral spirits. Some i've done this way are holding up well after 10 years.

For small holes I've used 3M aluminum body tape. like screw holes, etc.
<B>~ Brick
<I>... I've done so much with so little for so long... Now I can do almost anything with nothing! </I></B>
Image...Lots more pix here!
Podunkfla
ol' noodle haid

Return to Teardrop Construction Tips & Techniques