Figuring out axle placement.

Anything to do with mechanical, construction etc

Figuring out axle placement.

Postby Marck » Sat Oct 09, 2004 6:31 am

I know there are "spreadsheets" out there that can help me figure out how/where to place the axle for my six-pack, but I haven't figured them out. Can someone help me out here. What's the skinny... how do you figure it out?
You want to build WHAT?????

40 isn't middle aged....
IT'S YOUTH PART II
Marck
500 Club

Postby angib » Sat Oct 09, 2004 6:39 am

I've done a spreadsheet that allows you to do this. Go to the bottom of my trailer balance page and download the spreadsheet. Put in your own measurements and try different axle locations until you get the balance you want.

This page has obviously scared or bored everyone as I've achieved the unheard-of achievement of a post with 0 replies, so I'll be editing it down to take out the scary/boring content real soon!

Andrew
angib
5000 Club
5000 Club

Postby Norm » Sat Oct 09, 2004 2:34 pm

Hello Andrew,
I d/l your spreadsheet for future reference.
Please keep up all of your designs and comments/replies, as your contribution to the teardrop community is invaluable. :D

Norm
Norm
Teardrop Master

Postby muir » Sat Oct 09, 2004 2:40 pm

Well don't take out too much of the good stuff.

I'm working on a weight and materials estimate for the Compact, and
was planning to go back to the balance / axle placement page as soon as I had enough data.

Your efforts on this subject are appreciated...

-Scott
muir
Teardrop Inspector

Postby fasttimes » Sat Nov 20, 2004 12:09 am

angib wrote:I've done a spreadsheet that allows you to do this. Go to the bottom of my trailer balance page and download the spreadsheet. Put in your own measurements and try different axle locations until you get the balance you want.

This page has obviously scared or bored everyone as I've achieved the unheard-of achievement of a post with 0 replies, so I'll be editing it down to take out the scary/boring content real soon!

Andrew
I like the geek level of your page. Just hand-hold us throuh it, step-by-step, and most will make it. It's a complex subject, but better to teach us slowly vs dumbing-down the information.
Brent Geery
Los Angeles, CA
Happy now, Guy Whateveryournameis :QM :)
fasttimes
Teardrop Builder

Postby angib » Sat Nov 20, 2004 11:52 am

Sorry - I haven't replied to you all.

My plan is just to hive off some of the detail onto subsidiary pages and not to actually 'lose' any. Just to get to where the spreadsheet is visible on the first page, so visitors know it's there.

I really could have done with:
a) drawing about 100 diagrams, and
b) being better at drawing explanatory diagrams,
but 'owt's better than nowt*.

Andrew

*=something is better than nothing
angib
5000 Club
5000 Club

Question on squaring axle

Postby lawndoc » Mon Nov 29, 2004 11:05 am

When installing the axle is it best to measure from the ball coupler to get an equal distance to the axle on each side or do you measure down the frame of the trailer. I had tacked the axle in place using a equal measurement from the coupler center to the axle on each side but not sure if this is correct to give me a straight pull. If I measure down the trailer frame sides the measurements I get are not equal, about 1/4" difference. I figured that the ball hitch will be the center of pull and the wheels needed to be the same distance from the ball and not the ends of the trailer frame. Any advice?????? :cry:
lawndoc
Teardrop Inspector

Postby angib » Mon Nov 29, 2004 1:21 pm

I reckon you're right - it's the axle being square to the line to the coupler that matters - otherwise both wheels will be trying to pull slightly to one side and that will do the bearings no good at all.

Andrew
angib
5000 Club
5000 Club

Postby fornesto » Tue Nov 30, 2004 11:09 am

I'm a bit concerned that my axle will be too far forward. I will be adding a foot to the front and a foot to the rear of my (e) 8' trailer. Since the rearward 24" will hold the heavy stuff (water, cooler, etc.) this will really 'pull' the tongue up.

What are the downsides of too light of a tongue weight?
fornesto
Donating Member

Postby SteveH » Tue Nov 30, 2004 1:38 pm

I've always read and been told you want at least 10% of the gross weight of the trailer as tongue weight. Sometimes boat trailers go as little as 5%. Don't know why they get away with so little. Anyway, as the tongue weight goes down, trailer sway becomes harder to control.
SteveH
Calling an illegal alien an "undocumented immigrant"is like calling a drug dealer an "unlicensed pharmacist ".
SteveH
2000 Club
2000 Club

Postby Woody » Tue Nov 30, 2004 1:52 pm

What are the downsides of too light of a tongue weight?

Hitting a bump and having your trailer pass you when it comes off is a biggie, plus damage to the tow vehicle. Swaying is a big problem and at speed it could prove a tad bit tragic. Remember that the axle placement can affect not only tongue weight,but the placement and size of the side doors
Woody
The Tear Jerker's, Florida Chapter Director
E-mail: [email protected]
Tear jerker chapter site http://www.tearjerkers.net/forums/
Check the SE section for gathering information
Tear Jerkers new site http://www.tearjerkers.net/forums/
Enjoying life in 12 ounce increments is what it's about
Woody
2000 Club
2000 Club

Return to Teardrop Construction Tips & Techniques