Help Turn Signal

Anything electric, AC or DC

Help Turn Signal

Postby Nytewyng » Sun Sep 17, 2006 8:51 pm

Ok make a long story short...all lights work on my tow vehicle.......hook up camper 4 prong plug , brake lights work, all maker lights are lit, right blinker ok , left blinker doesnt work on the trailer or the tow vehicle.......where do I start?
Rob and Deb Mangano
Nytewyng
500 Club

Postby rainjer » Sun Sep 17, 2006 9:12 pm

Check all of your grounds.

After that. Make a couple jumper wires. Connect the grounds. Hook the Right turn wire on your car to the left turn wire on your trailer. See if it works. If it doesen't it is the ground in the left light or a bad wire. If it works, then do the same on the other turn signal. See if that works. If the both work hooked up seperate, you may need a heavy duty flasher. That is what I had to do to find a bad ground wire.
rainjer
King Koleman

Postby BrwBier » Sun Sep 17, 2006 9:15 pm

I would first replace the flasher with a heavy duty flasher.
BrwBier
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby Nytewyng » Sun Sep 17, 2006 9:20 pm

Thanks , if I go for the heavy duty flasher, is it something I can get at a regular auto parts place or do I need to go to the Mazda dealership?
Rob and Deb Mangano
Nytewyng
500 Club

Postby Gerdo » Sun Sep 17, 2006 9:29 pm

I would bet you can get a HD Flasher from most auto parts shops.
Gerdo
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby sdtripper2 » Sun Sep 17, 2006 11:05 pm

Here Nytewyng:

One more thread with the similar issues and some more people suggesting the heavy duty flasher.

You might read this thread:
Post subject: Got a problem with my trailer wiring on my truck.
http://tinyurl.com/kugqb
"A man who is good enough to shed his blood for his country
is good enough to be given a square deal afterwards." -------Theodore Roosevelt

Steve
sdtripper2
Search Garoux

Postby asianflava » Mon Sep 18, 2006 1:49 am

I had a problem with my trailer, all the lights worked except for the curb side brake light. That is odd because the turn signal AND the tail light work. I wasn't shure if it was the trailer or the car. I suspected the logic box but my tests were inconclusive.

What I ended up doing was simple, I hooked it up to my truck. It has a T-Harness which means there is no logic circuit. All the lights worked. During the process of troubleshooting, I found the factory trailer harness adapter in the spare tire well. I checked Toyota about the wire that leads from the harness out to the trailer. Apparently it comes with the receiver hitch. I'd have to buy another hitch just to get that 2 ft piece of wire. Found out that Draw Tite makes one and I found one on eBay.
asianflava
8000 Club
8000 Club

Postby dahoon » Tue Sep 19, 2006 12:02 am

Nytewyng

Unless your lights are blinking too fast a heavy duty flasher wont help.

I need to know what vehicle you have to make an accurate solution.

asianflava is probably on the right track, if you have an import or a vehicle with seperate turn signal lights and brake lights.

Then you will need an adapter to convert that still of lighting over to the t/s and brake lights are combined on the same ciruit on the trailer.

Mike
dahoon
Teardrop Master

Postby Nytewyng » Tue Sep 19, 2006 3:56 am

My tow vehicle is a 2006 Mazda Tribute, The thing is thta when the trailer is not hooked up the lights all work. In fact before we left for camping, I did a walk around and all the trailer lights were working, signals -4ways and brakes?...I didnt do the trailerhitch connection myself I had the hitch put on at a local U haul place
Rob and Deb Mangano
Nytewyng
500 Club

Postby Dale M. » Tue Sep 19, 2006 10:34 am

Did-U-Haul install "factory" wiring harness for tow vehicle or did they just "clip into" the existing wiring?...

Some of the new car system won't tolerate some of the old methods of wiring and require factory harnesses including extra relays and fuses to work properly....

Sounds like you may be experiencing situation similar to situation in this thread....

http://tnttt.com/viewtopic.php?t=11000

Dale
Lives his life vicariously through his own self.

Any statement made by me are strictly my own opinion.
You are free to ignore anything I say if you do not agree.

Dale M.
2000 Club
2000 Club

Postby Miriam C. » Tue Sep 19, 2006 11:07 pm

Nytewyng wrote:My tow vehicle is a 2006 Mazda Tribute, The thing is thta when the trailer is not hooked up the lights all work. In fact before we left for camping, I did a walk around and all the trailer lights were working, signals -4ways and brakes?...I didnt do the trailerhitch connection myself I had the hitch put on at a local U haul place

Rob,
Are you saying the lights work when they are not plugged into the Mazda, or are you saying they quit when you attach to the ball?

It it is to the ball, check your ground and see if it is pulled or pinched in some way.
“Forgiveness means giving up all hope for a better past.â€
Miriam C.
our Aunti M

Return to Electrical Secrets