It's only the beginning.

Anything to do with mechanical, construction etc

It's only the beginning.

Postby Tripmaker » Mon Sep 18, 2006 9:05 am

Well I finally started my 5x10 this weekend. I'm using the generic Benroy plan from this website and modifying it to 10'. I ordered the 1500 lb. landscaper trailer from Harbor Freight on Friday. As I said in my "Plywood Blues" post I have glued the 1/2 outer and 1/4 inner birch panels offset 2' on each end to make a 10' wall since I couldn't find 3/4 4x10 birch plywood. I assembled my floor this weekend and applied the black roofing goop to the underside. Fortunately I have a workshop with a dehumidifier as it is raining today and it looks like the black goop will take some time to dry. I have more gluing for the walls and should be able to layout and cut the walls later this week. Then I'm kinda stuck till my trailer arrives.

I appreciate the encouragement of everyone on this website. I'm sure I will test your patience as this project continues as I tend to overthink things sometimes. I've taken some pictures and will start a build album soon.
Jim

I started with nothing and still have most of it left.
Tripmaker
500 Club

Postby Miriam C. » Mon Sep 18, 2006 9:21 am

:lol: Hey Tripmaker,
you might be building a teardrop (ymbbat)
Congratulations on your start. The evil smelling black goo will take some time to dry and it will be sticky even longer. I slapped mine on the trailer the next day and it stuck. Fortunately we put it in place so as not to move it too much. :roll:

Careful not to get it on your clamps. :oops: :roll:
“Forgiveness means giving up all hope for a better past.â€
Miriam C.
our Aunti M

Postby Tripmaker » Mon Sep 18, 2006 9:37 am

I'm going to order CPES from the Rot Doctor. Can anyone give me an idea of how much I will need so I know how much to order? I'm going to skin the outside with aluminum. Do I need to seal only the edges of the ply or the side surfaces as well?
Jim

Tripmaker
500 Club

Postby Ira » Mon Sep 18, 2006 11:38 am

Tripmaker wrote:I'm going to order CPES from the Rot Doctor. Can anyone give me an idea of how much I will need so I know how much to order? I'm going to skin the outside with aluminum. Do I need to seal only the edges of the ply or the side surfaces as well?

If you're skinning with aluminum, what do you need the CPES for? Just the edges?
Here we go again!
Ira
Forum Storyteller

Postby Tripmaker » Mon Sep 18, 2006 12:08 pm

Ira wrote:If you're skinning with aluminum, what do you need the CPES for? Just the edges?

Maybe I don't need it at all. Do I need to be concerned about small amounts of water finding it's way under the aluminium and not being able to dry out or am I being overly cautious? I'm new to all this and I don't want to go to the time and expense of building only to find out later that I have a problem that could have been avoided. But I also don't want to do things and spend money on things that don't need to be done.
Jim

Tripmaker
500 Club

Postby madjack » Mon Sep 18, 2006 12:18 pm

TM, the CPES would make an excellent sealer...no doubt about it but may be overkill....we skin our tears with AL and use polyurethane to seal all wood previously to applying the skin...we also float our skins(no adhesive) so we wanted the additional protection....
madjack 8)
...I have come to believe that, conflict resolution, through violence, is never acceptable.....................mj
madjack
Site Admin

Postby Tripmaker » Mon Sep 18, 2006 12:42 pm

Thanks madjac. Poly is certainly less expensive and easier to get. I'll take your advice.

When you "float" the aluminum is that no adhesive at all and just attached using screws through the trim? I know it is supposed to float so it can contract and expand with heat and cold, like siding on a house. Is there some place you can direct me that I can read about the skinning process. This is definately going to be a learn as I go process.
Jim

Tripmaker
500 Club

Postby Tripmaker » Wed Sep 20, 2006 6:50 am

Posted my first pics. Also the first snag. I found out yesterday that the 1500Lb. landscape trailer from HF is on backorder and they have no idea when it will ship. Going to order a black trailer from Red Trailer today.
Jim

Tripmaker
500 Club

Postby Ira » Wed Sep 20, 2006 7:33 am

Tripmaker wrote:Posted my first pics. Also the first snag. I found out yesterday that the 1500Lb. landscape trailer from HF is on backorder and they have no idea when it will ship. Going to order a black trailer from Red Trailer today.

Smart move:

HF can be really bad when waiting for this when it's on back order. Plus, you won't have to paint it now--unless you WANTED red.
Here we go again!
Ira
Forum Storyteller

Progress

Postby eldiablo » Fri Sep 22, 2006 10:23 am

Jimbo, Yes it really is coming along fine. You've done lots with your project since Labor Day. Too bad we can't read the writing on the paddle outside your workshop/barn. El Diablo
eldiablo
Teardrop Inspector

Postby madjack » Fri Sep 22, 2006 10:49 am

TM, yes floating the Al is using no adhesive to apply, capturing it with the trim to hold inplace...hard to point you to any specific info since it is all over map in peoples builds, we used templates for our sides and used those same templates to cut the Al side panels...we also made our width 47-1/4" to leave a little wiggle room for installin' sheet goods on the roof...we did most of our Al cuts witha air shear...we put the Al on and used an air stapler, shooting half dozen staples close to the edge to hold it in place while trim was installed..the trim was screwed down around every 4 inches depending on where/what trim was being installed...we used auto windshield sealant under the trim...
madjack 8)
...I have come to believe that, conflict resolution, through violence, is never acceptable.....................mj
madjack
Site Admin

Return to Teardrop Construction Tips & Techniques