Has anyone incorporated flexible solar panels into design?

Anything electric, AC or DC

Has anyone incorporated flexible solar panels into design?

Postby itzagreat58 » Mon Sep 18, 2006 3:14 pm

Hi guys,

I am brand new to the site as well as the world of teardrops. I am glad to have found this website and hopefully will have the opportunity to meet many of you in the future.

I will keep my first post brief as well as direct.

Has anyone incorporated the flexible solar panels into their teardrop design? I saw a great item on Ebay today, and thought that if two were laid side by side on the leading edge as well as roofline of an aluminum skinned tear, it might work rather well. ebay clicky

I don't know what the average daily electrical draw is for most campers, but wouldn't a set of panels totalling 64 watts be enough to avoid plugging in anyplace???

The reason I ask is, as well as why I am learning about teardrops is because of my career. I work around the nation for various hospitals and am looking for a way to tote my stuff as well as have a portable call/bedroom when I am on site. I love retro designs like the Camp-Inn 550 and 560 models and it seems that a flexible panel like this would incorporate well into similar items.

I am looking to run interior cabin lights, recharge and play my ipod and laptop as well as ventilation fans. Think I could get away with these panels and never have to plug into an outlet?
itzagreat58
Teardrop Inspector

Postby madjack » Mon Sep 18, 2006 4:21 pm

Welcome itza, a TD is just what you need and yes 2 of those panels should come very close to suppling all of your needs with proper electriacal usage/conservation...a charge line from the vehicle alternator will help out as well, since you will be "travel camping"....click here and read a lot more info on trailer electric systems including very good info on solar.....
madjack 8)
...I have come to believe that, conflict resolution, through violence, is never acceptable.....................mj
madjack
Site Admin

Postby emiller » Mon Sep 18, 2006 4:24 pm

64 watts would br awsume but I have heard that the flexible ones don't hold up. Do some checking to find out.
emiller
Donating Member

Postby itzagreat58 » Mon Sep 18, 2006 5:22 pm

Thank you MadJack for fixing my ebay link. I didn't read yet how to make it the way you did. I appreciate the clean up.

I have a lot of reading up to do so I can clarify what I need, electrically speaking. Basically I would like enough power to supply my "hotel room" staged in the hospital parking lot when I am on site for a contract. If the majority of the roof top were solar paneled, I guess it would create enough juice daily for my want to do. Right now, I don't see need for more electricity than required to provide an interior light for short periords, power/recharge my laptop and drive ventilation fan(s). Most other devices I could just charge inside the hospital while I am working by day or like you suggest, charge from my tow vehicle's alternator.

Anyway, thanks again for the help.
itzagreat58
Teardrop Inspector

Postby madjack » Mon Sep 18, 2006 6:10 pm

itza, keep in mind for higher power solar charging like you are considering, that a controller is also need to keep from cooking the battery...that info is also in the link I provided...shortening link info is in the begining of the newbie threads as well as much info on using the board...have fun...you have embarked on a great adventure and are now on "teardrop time"......
madjack 8)
...I have come to believe that, conflict resolution, through violence, is never acceptable.....................mj
madjack
Site Admin

Unisolar flx-32

Postby John Foote » Sat Sep 23, 2006 7:07 pm

Darn double post!!! :cry:
Last edited by John Foote on Sat Sep 23, 2006 7:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
John Foote
Teardrop Builder

Unisolar flx-32

Postby John Foote » Sat Sep 23, 2006 7:07 pm

I bought one of those Unisolar flx-32's brand new about three years ago for $225 delivered. By that link, I see they're now selling second-hand on Ebay for $375 plus shipping? Yikes.

I bought it for my as yet unbuilt Tear. Plan was to have three of them across the hatch for 96 watts of charging goodness. You have to cover the hatch with something, and this stuff looks really nice. Having a sheet stainless core, it's pretty stout, too. As a bonus, you can lift the hatch to catch the sun.

As for supply and pricing, these things are never in stock, anywhere. I suspect Unisolar is not making them anymore.
John Foote
Teardrop Builder

Return to Electrical Secrets