Changing gas line to my stove.

Anything to do with mechanical, construction etc

Changing gas line to my stove.

Postby Sam I am » Wed Sep 20, 2006 8:44 pm

I just bought a new camp stove at Wal-Mart, but the line from the gas bottle to the stove won't let the stove sit square on the dropleaf section of the galley counter. How can I safely change the line? I thought of cutting the line and splcing in a piece of rubber tubing. The line has a pressure regulator where the bottle attaches, preset to 10 psi. Would automotive fuel tubing work? Any other ideas?
Sam I am
500 Club

Postby stjohn » Wed Sep 20, 2006 9:02 pm

there are some safty issues to think about if the flame ever gets close to thetube it could melt and catch on fire and know that I think about it auto rubber tubing is designed for liquid fuel and would dry out over time and leak not a good idea imho

Mike
Only he who attempts the ridiculous
Can achieve the impossible
stjohn
The 300 Club

Postby stjohn » Wed Sep 20, 2006 9:04 pm

Maybe some type of gas line like on a home stove flexable and would not melt

Mike
Only he who attempts the ridiculous
Can achieve the impossible
stjohn
The 300 Club

Postby bdosborn » Wed Sep 20, 2006 9:17 pm

Poke around in here:
Linky
There's got to be something that will work.
Bruce
2009 6.5'X11' TTT - Boxcar
All it takes is a speck of faith and a few kilowatts of sweat and grace.
Boxcar Build
aVANger Build
bdosborn
Donating Member

Postby rbeemer » Wed Sep 20, 2006 9:22 pm

You can get extension hoses that allow appliance to connect to the tree on top of a 20lb tank that would allow you to put the canistersomewhere else.
Rick

If ducks had scales, would fish quack?
rbeemer
500 Club

Postby Dale M. » Wed Sep 20, 2006 9:39 pm

Any rubber line you may want to use should to be LPG APPROVED or gas will cause it to rot from inside out.

You say that regulator is set at 10psi, generally these type of stoves and connections (off disposable cannisters ) operate at tank pressure. IF it is at 10 psi, you may be safe in cutting tubing and inserting a piece of LPG APPROVED hose.

IF pressure is really tank pressure you are dealing with about 125 psi at 70 Deg. F. and if temperature goes up pressure can reach as high as 250 psi. YOU WILL NOT BE SAFE trying to insert a rubber hose in line because the clamps on the smooth tubing will probably not hold well and may blow off the smooth metal tubing. Most high pressure gas/propane hoses use barbed connectors with crimp on metal ferrules.

IF possible I would find different solution that cutting metal tubing and inserting a rubber hose. Is there threaded connections on EACH end of connector tubing? Its possible that you may be able to find LPG approved rubber hose with crimped on metal connectors to replace metal tubing.

My Coleman stove has same sort of cannister connector with shut off valve, but it uses a rubber hose to connect from regulator to stove.

Another solution is find a hose that has the "male throwaway" connector (1 inch by 20 thread) and a "female throwaway" connector on other end and insert it between tank and "regulator/shut " off valve.

http://www.mrheater.com/seriesdetail.asp?id=152
Stock No. F273710

This is a pretty common hose available most anywhere.

OR as "rbeemer" says, move to large bulk fuel tank and adapter hose ( its more economical that throwaway cannisters if you do a lot of cooking on stove)

Dale
Lives his life vicariously through his own self.

Any statement made by me are strictly my own opinion.
You are free to ignore anything I say if you do not agree.

Dale M.
2000 Club
2000 Club

Postby Kens » Thu Sep 21, 2006 12:40 pm

Read topic. "help me find a flex tube for small disposible bottle" I posted a picture on that of what you need. Hope this helps. Ken
Good day every day!
Kens
500 Club

Postby sid » Thu Sep 21, 2006 12:55 pm

I despise the Coleman set up with that darn metal pipe that connects the stove to the bottle. We had that on our last one and there is usually no way to set the stove up in the galley that the tube and bottle is not in the way of something :x

We sold the stove with the teardrop and bought another stove, this time by Century. It comes with a rubber hose instead of a metal tube. :D
sid n side
"If you're going through hell, keep going......" Winston Churchhill

Side by Side - completed October 2008
sid
Donating Member

Postby Ira » Thu Sep 21, 2006 1:40 pm

Although my galley will hopefully look "nice" with its appliances on display, for the stove and oven, I plan to use them on a side table anyway, away from the galley.

Who needs that greasy smoke wafting up on the hatch, or a flame setting the whole dang thing on fire?
Here we go again!
Ira
Forum Storyteller

Postby Jiminsav » Thu Sep 21, 2006 7:30 pm

man oh man...you guys make things so difficult...just get a replacement hose for a turkey fryer and use it..cut the copper like in half and use hose clamps to splice in the rubber..easy as pie..
Jim in Savannah
If you can read this bumper sticker, my camper fell off.
Jiminsav
3000 Club
3000 Club

Postby Sam I am » Tue Sep 26, 2006 10:03 am

Thanks for all the suggestions, but I'm having no luck finding any fittings that will fit my stove. The stove is made in China and apparently uses metric fittings. Nothing I have found at the local hardware stores or Tractor Supply will fit. It looks like my only option is to cut the line and splice in some rubber tubing with hose clamps, and check it often for tightness and/or cracking hose.
Sam I am
500 Club

Postby kurtibm » Tue Sep 26, 2006 11:53 am

Using the top photo as an example, - If you would prefer to continue to use the disposable 1# canisters, this hose would be in addition to the metal propane fitting that came with the stove (as the fitting contains the regulator), not eliminate it - it merely allows the canister a remote location. The threads would be the same as the propane bottle on both ends, so nothing unuasual to worry about.
You MAY even consider a 5, 7, 11 or 20 pound bulk tank and attach it to the stove with the hose shown in the SECOND photo.

Last edited by kurtibm on Tue Sep 26, 2006 5:10 pm, edited 2 times in total.
It is not the years in your life that matter, it's the life in your years.
kurtibm
Donating Member

Postby Dale M. » Tue Sep 26, 2006 12:09 pm

kurtibm wrote:Using the top photo as an example, - the hose would be in addition to the metal propane fitting that came with the stove (as the fitting contains the regulator), not eliminate it. The threads would be merely the same as the propane bottle on both ends, so nothing unuasual to worry about.
You MAY even consider a 5, 7, 11 or 20 pound bulk tank and attach it to the stove with the hose shown in the SECOND photo.

These are one option I was referencing in my previous post... And these are about the simplest option available

Dale
Lives his life vicariously through his own self.

Any statement made by me are strictly my own opinion.
You are free to ignore anything I say if you do not agree.

Dale M.
2000 Club
2000 Club

Postby apratt » Tue Sep 26, 2006 12:21 pm

The two post above is what I use for my Brinkman stove no problem. A piece of cake. :thumbsup:
Arthur,

ASL spoken here
apratt
Gold Donating Member

Postby sdtripper2 » Tue Sep 26, 2006 3:20 pm

8)
Dale M., kurtibm, and apratt too
Would steer "Sam I am" to be kewl

The hose is long and fits just right
You’ll be able to keep yur tank outa sight

Keep your fitting for your stove top too
You will be "Sam I am" the one that knew