Battery Charger Heat

Anything electric, AC or DC

Battery Charger Heat

Postby jdjernigan » Mon Sep 25, 2006 7:53 pm

I've just purchased a 6 Amp ProMariner charger that I had planned to install in the same undercounter compartment as my battery box. The installation instructions advised that I should allow 8" clear on the sides and the front of the charger (I assume because the unit needs to disipate heat)....Well, I reall hadn't anticipated giving the charger so much room...you know space is a valuable thing, but I certainly don't want to risk a fire or anything. Has anyone had a similar concern? This compartment is fairly small. I plan to vent my battery box to the outside (for battery gassing...though I'm using a gel type), but didn't think about heat from the charger. :thinking:

Is there any risk? Or should I consider mounting the charger elsewhere? Where have others mounted chargers?

Thanks, Joe
jdjernigan
Teardrop Inspector

Postby halfdome, Danny » Mon Sep 25, 2006 11:02 pm

I installed my Battery Tender in the compartment next to the battery with no problems. I have those little round vents in each compartment. The Battery Tender is advertised not to spark. :) Danny
ImageImage
"Conditions are never just right. People who delay action until all factors are favorable do nothing". William Feather
Don't accept "It's Good Enough" build to the best of your abilities.
Teardroppers Of Oregon & WashingtonImage
halfdome, Danny
*Happy Camper

Postby asianflava » Mon Sep 25, 2006 11:48 pm

I have the same charger, with hardly any room to breathe. I'm not saying that it is the right thing to do but, it's been OK so far. Like you mentioned, space is at a premium so I don't have much of a choice.
asianflava
8000 Club
8000 Club

Postby 48Rob » Tue Sep 26, 2006 6:40 am

I have a 6 Amp Deltran that requires a little space because of the heat generated.

Since I will always have 120 when the charger is operating, I installed a small computer fan to blow air across the unit.

Works well.

Rob
Waiting for "someday" will leave you on your deathbed wondering why you didn't just rearrange your priorities and enjoy the time you had, instead of waiting for a "better" time to come along...
48Rob
Super Lifetime Member

Hmmmm

Postby jdjernigan » Tue Sep 26, 2006 5:08 pm

You guys are making me feel better now....sparks are bad...flames are worse. Noone has burnt their house down yet I take it?

Rob, I also thought an AC computer fan that ran only when I'm running the charger would keep my compartment cool....Do you run it all the time?...even when the charger is on maintenance mode?

Danny, like those little vents. Are they stainless or aluminum? Where do you find them? :thumbsup:

Thanks! Joe
jdjernigan
Teardrop Inspector

Postby 48Rob » Tue Sep 26, 2006 6:01 pm

Hi Joe,

Sparks and flames are always bad...

Lot of people are right on the edge...I've replaced many a light fixture that had too high a wattage bulb in it, or was just plain too hot for the location (bad design usually, no or not enough ventilation).
The area above or behind (wood) is charred and black, just a miracle they didn't flame and spread...

Anytime something gets hot, and it is against combustable material, it is a real risk to just "hope for the best".

If it is to uncomfortable to leave your hand on it, it is too hot.

Anyway the fan currently runs all the time when hooked to shore power.
It is small and quiet and could easily be switched, trouble is, I'd forget to turn it on, and the charger gets too warm for comfort.
I have it mounted to the plywood wall, but also have it spaced out 1/2" to allow some natural airflow, and have a small vent in the floor below it.

The louvered vents Danny has pictured are available at most home repair centers.
Ask for "round soffit vents" they come in several sizes, and materials.
Aluminum being the most readily available.
Not sure about SS. but copper is, and looks good!

Rob

PS. Just for fun...most of the time when someone posts a commercial picture of a part (a "borrowed" picture) you can right click on the image, and click on "properties" to get the companies URL.
Just remove everything after the .com and you will be taken to the site that posted the picture...which gives you all the info you want.

Picture URL
http://www.oldworlddistributors.com/images/pix_vent_soffittn.jpg

Picture URL with just the company info.
http://www.oldworlddistributors.com
Waiting for "someday" will leave you on your deathbed wondering why you didn't just rearrange your priorities and enjoy the time you had, instead of waiting for a "better" time to come along...
48Rob
Super Lifetime Member

Postby jdjernigan » Tue Sep 26, 2006 6:28 pm

Thank for the tip Rob.

I appreciate all the input...I may go the fan route, unswitched, because I forget too. May add a little extra clearance all around for safety!

Joe ;)
jdjernigan
Teardrop Inspector

Postby bdosborn » Thu Sep 28, 2006 9:21 pm

Here's my 6 amp promariner (cabelas version). We keep all the pots in there as well so I'm not giving it the clearance you mentioned and there aren't any vents. I guess I should have read the instructions but then its been working fine for a year.
Bruce
2009 6.5'X11' TTT - Boxcar
All it takes is a speck of faith and a few kilowatts of sweat and grace.
Boxcar Build
aVANger Build
bdosborn
Donating Member

Re: Battery Charger Heat

Postby Melvin » Sun Oct 15, 2006 1:35 pm

Personally I'd try and avoid mounting any thing electrical in the same compartment as a battery. The gases given off are corrosive and may corrode any exposed metal.

And if you are unlucky an battery explosion will also take out your invertor
Commandant Louis Joseph Lahure has a singular distinction in military history - he defeated a navy on horseback. Occupying Holland in January 1795, the French continental army learned that the mighty Dutch navy had been frozen into the ice around Texel Island. So Lahure and 128 men simply rode up to it and demanded surrender. No shots were fired.
Melvin
Teardrop Master

AGM Battery lowers risk of gassing related problems?

Postby jdjernigan » Tue Oct 17, 2006 9:31 pm

Just got through reading a good article on AGM batteries....

http://www.dcbattery.com/lifeline2.html

Maybe this is a safer approach....boasts little gas, can't spill, no corrosive mist to cause problems with electronics.

Has anyone used these? And are there any negatives (besides probably the price)?

:thinking:
jdjernigan
Teardrop Inspector

Postby asianflava » Tue Oct 17, 2006 9:46 pm

I have one, there is supposed to be a remote vent for it but I didn't bother. I'm using a Optima blue top, I got it at Sam's Club. I checked a few and not all Sam's have the Optima batteries.
asianflava
8000 Club
8000 Club

Re: AGM Battery lowers risk of gassing related problems?

Postby madjack » Tue Oct 17, 2006 9:58 pm

jdjernigan wrote:Just got through reading a good article on AGM batteries....

http://www.dcbattery.com/lifeline2.html

Maybe this is a safer approach....boasts little gas, can't spill, no corrosive mist to cause problems with electronics.

Has anyone used these? And are there any negatives (besides probably the price)?

:thinking:

JD, there are quite a few positives and the only negative I have found is the price...since it SHOULD last longer with fewer headaches it may be worth it...keep in mind that you could buy 2 r 3 group 24 deep cycle lead/acid batteries for the same price...
madjack 8)
...I have come to believe that, conflict resolution, through violence, is never acceptable.....................mj
madjack
Site Admin

Return to Electrical Secrets