T Moulding ALL around the doors?

Anything to do with mechanical, construction etc

T Moulding ALL around the doors?

Postby John6012 » Wed Sep 27, 2006 5:42 pm

I am in the process of hanging my doors on the TD and have potential problem. If I put the 1" T moulding on all four edges of the door, on the hinge side it "snags". I wonder if I should cut off one of the legs on the T moulding so the door would fit snugly? If I did so, it would create a potential problem with water entry? Any suggestions? Thanks
John6012
Teardrop Master

Re: T Moulding ALL around the doors?

Postby halfdome, Danny » Wed Sep 27, 2006 7:14 pm

John6012 wrote:I am in the process of hanging my doors on the TD and have potential problem. If I put the 1" T moulding on all four edges of the door, on the hinge side it "snags". I wonder if I should cut off one of the legs on the T moulding so the door would fit snugly? If I did so, it would create a potential problem with water entry? Any suggestions? Thanks

John, Assuming you are making your doors in the most common way the "T" molding should not be used in the hinge area at all. Some mount their hinges on the surface and some mount a piano hinge between the door and the jamb. I did the latter and just for extra measure mounted a bicycle inner tube over the hinge knuckle followed with 2 pieces of flat stock. A photo is in my album. Danny
ImageImage
"Conditions are never just right. People who delay action until all factors are favorable do nothing". William Feather
Don't accept "It's Good Enough" build to the best of your abilities.
Teardroppers Of Oregon & WashingtonImage
halfdome, Danny
*Happy Camper

Postby John6012 » Wed Sep 27, 2006 7:34 pm

Thanks, for the reply. I am using a surface piano hinge and now I underwstand a little better what I'm woring with. What would I use on the hinge side? Would you put 3/4" U channel assuming the the door is 3/4"? How about a security seal on the hinge side kind of like the door seal only adhere it to the cabin inner door framework (near the hinge). Many thanks!
John6012
Teardrop Master

Postby Podunkfla » Wed Sep 27, 2006 7:45 pm

I would think mounting the piano hinge to the edges, rather than flat, would allow you to run a strip of closed cell weatherstrip foam on one surface inside to keep water out... real easy? Plus, personally... I think it looks better with the flanges hidden?
<B>~ Brick
<I>... I've done so much with so little for so long... Now I can do almost anything with nothing! </I></B>
Image...Lots more pix here!
Podunkfla
ol' noodle haid

Postby John6012 » Wed Sep 27, 2006 7:56 pm

I gotta tell you that the hinge is stainless steel and about 2" on one edge and 3" on the other so I can't install it to the edges although I do agree it'd sure be easier and probably seal better! But alas....I still need an answer-maybe cutting a slot in the hinge side of the door and installing a 1" T moulding the length of the hinge side seal it well and no water will penetrate? Thanks for your reply!
John6012
Teardrop Master

Postby Podunkfla » Wed Sep 27, 2006 8:19 pm

How about an "L" shaped molding on both sides under the hinge? Then you could still use insulation foam strip.
<B>~ Brick
<I>... I've done so much with so little for so long... Now I can do almost anything with nothing! </I></B>
Image...Lots more pix here!
Podunkfla
ol' noodle haid

Postby Endo » Thu Sep 28, 2006 5:32 am

Podunkfla wrote:How about an "L" shaped molding on both sides under the hinge? Then you could still use insulation foam strip.

That is what I did. Here are a few pics:
Brad (aka Endo)
ImageImage Image
In God We Trust
Endo
500 Club

Postby John6012 » Thu Sep 28, 2006 1:28 pm

I thank allof you for your replies. I typically barrel into a project without asking, assuming everythin g will fall into place or that I can figure it out as I go along but by the time I have several scews and holes drilled, I find out I've got to go out and buy more material because I messed everything up. So, that's why I'm asking-it's expensive without instructions! Thanks again!
John6012
Teardrop Master

Return to Teardrop Construction Tips & Techniques