More Inverter Stuff

Anything electric, AC or DC

More Inverter Stuff

Postby mfkaplan » Wed Sep 27, 2006 6:50 pm

I want to wire my 400 watt inverter to my fuse block. Right now it has a cord that goes into a 12 volt recepticle. That's how the former owner used it. What guage wire do I use. I'm using 10 guage from the battery to the fuse block. My 12 volt system is only linked to the battery. My running lights go to the vehicle. My minimal 120 volt system is basically a power strip. trying to keep it simple. 14 guage will be used for the inside lights, galley light, and porch lights. One light to it's fuse. Ordered a grounded fuse block from Waytec, hope it was the right one. Could only tell from pictures on the forum. At this point I'm just running wires so I can finish the inside. I made a compartment in the inside front near where the battery ride on the tongue for all the connection stuff. I kind of understand basic electricity stuff.in that it makes a circut. A detailed shopping list would help, but dosen't exist. Have read and reread this section of the forum. Thanks for any help you can give me.

Mary
Mom's Nest
Mary
Mom's Nest
mfkaplan
Gold Donating Member

Postby bdosborn » Wed Sep 27, 2006 8:58 pm

For the inverter, 400W/12V=33A, so I would use #8 wire with a 40A fuse. A #10 with a 30A fuse would probably work if you don't power any loads with a lot of inrush current (motors).
Bruce
2009 6.5'X11' TTT - Boxcar
All it takes is a speck of faith and a few kilowatts of sweat and grace.
Boxcar Build
aVANger Build
bdosborn
Donating Member

Postby mfkaplan » Wed Sep 27, 2006 9:43 pm

Thanks Bruce,
:) Just what I wanted to know. Probably will only use it to run my computer. I'm quite happy playing a DVD on it, no need for a TV. Can't think of any thing I would run with a motor or that would draw a lot of power. Wouldn't bother getting an inverter, except it came with the trailer. Keep the teardrop simple. It's not a hotel room just a comfortalble dry place to sleep. It also has a little ceramic heater/fan. What size wire and fuse for it. Dosen't say anything on it except 12 volts. I know this must be a battery drainer to be used in emergencies only. It was originally wired to the 12 volt recepticle. Not good. I know it needs its own circut. PS, thanks for all the infomative posts on electricity.
Mary
Mom's Nest
Mary
Mom's Nest
mfkaplan
Gold Donating Member

Postby bdosborn » Wed Sep 27, 2006 10:20 pm

Mary,
Without more information its hard to tell for sure. If it has a plug a #12 wire with a 20A fuse usually works. All bets are off if someone added the plug and it didn't orginally come that way. You could try it and use a mattress warmer instead if it blows the fuse. We use one to warm up the bunk for half an hour before we go to bed and thats about all you need if your tear is insulated.
Bruce
2009 6.5'X11' TTT - Boxcar
All it takes is a speck of faith and a few kilowatts of sweat and grace.
Boxcar Build
aVANger Build
bdosborn
Donating Member

Postby mfkaplan » Wed Sep 27, 2006 11:46 pm

Thanks Again for the information. I think just a prewarmed bed would do.
I also have an extremely warm sleeping bag for really cold weather. i don't think I'm going to install it.

Mary
Mom's Nest
Mary
Mom's Nest
mfkaplan
Gold Donating Member

Return to Electrical Secrets