Another question about wiring

Anything electric, AC or DC

Another question about wiring

Postby mfkaplan » Fri Sep 29, 2006 12:27 am

Ok, I cut the 12 volt plug off the end of the inverter cord. The cord is about 3' long and looks like black extension cord, no colored wires inside. One side of the cord has ridges down it. the other is smooth. Which side is the negative side? Looked on the net but couldn't find the answer. I'm quite sure an inverter has polarity. Also the stranded wire within the cord is quite skinny, looks like 16 gage. Should I cut the cord off nearer the inverter. This is the last wire I have to run.
Mary
Mom's Nest
Mary
Mom's Nest
mfkaplan
Gold Donating Member

Postby PaulC » Fri Sep 29, 2006 1:17 am

Mary, Have a look at the plug you removed and check where the various wires go to. The one that goes to the outside tabs will be your earth.
Hope this helps.
Cheers
Paul :thumbsup:
Time is the only real capital we have. Money you can replace but time you cannot.
PaulC
3rd Teardrop Club

Postby SkipperSue » Fri Sep 29, 2006 8:54 am

From my past experiences the smooth side is the negative, the ridged side is the positive. Best to check with a volt meter to be sure though.
Skipper
SkipperSue
Gold Donating Member

Postby mfkaplan » Fri Sep 29, 2006 9:59 am

Thanks Paul and Skip. Haven't gone out this morning yet but will check old plug. Didn't know which wire in the old plug was hot. The center one sounds logical though with the ground on the side. I will also use the meter (for the first time).
:thumbsup:

Mary
Mom's Nest
Mary
Mom's Nest
mfkaplan
Gold Donating Member

Return to Electrical Secrets