A Hot plate???

General Discussion about almost anything Teardrop or camping related

A Hot plate???

Postby srfrcrux » Wed Aug 30, 2006 7:58 pm

Curious,
I'm going to be building my first teardrop...and was wondering how hard a hot plate would pull on my battery? Hot plate vs stove? :thinking:
Adopt a Drop or be board to tears!!!!
www.myspace.com/thelains
srfrcrux
Donating Member

Postby mikeschn » Wed Aug 30, 2006 8:00 pm

For all practical purposes, just assume that it will kill your battery instantly.

If you really want to know how many seconds of heat you'll get out of your hotplate, tell us how many watts it draws at 110v...

Mike...
The quality is remembered long after the price is forgotten, so build your teardrop with the best materials...
mikeschn
Site Admin

Postby angib » Thu Aug 31, 2006 5:32 am

Crux, welcome.

I think a hot plate might even, theoretically, last into the several minutes range.

Say a small 1500W hotplate, so that's 125 amps at 12 volts - so the hot plate is connected to the battery by good quality jumper cables, right?

Say we have a basic 80 amp-hour batery and we don't want to use more than half the charge (so that it will last longer than one cycle!), that's 40 amp-hours. At 125 amps, that would theoretically last 19 minutes.

Then you have to either build yourself a 12 volt hot plate (I've never seen one!) or run a 110 volt one off an inverter. That's another 10-20% off the time, due to inverter inefficiency, so around 15 minutes looks achievable.

But is this a practical idea? Neah, I don't think so. But thanks for the laugh!

Andrew
angib
5000 Club
5000 Club

Postby madjack » Thu Aug 31, 2006 11:16 am

here's a source for many 12v appliances....having used many of these during my 20+ years as a trucker, I can personally attest to their general inefficiencies...there are other alternatives to almost everything listed that work ever so much better in a camping environment... ..
madjack 8)
p.s. many of those alternatives are available here... http://www.coleman.com/coleman/home.asp
...I have come to believe that, conflict resolution, through violence, is never acceptable.....................mj
madjack
Site Admin

Postby apratt » Thu Aug 31, 2006 11:34 am

Jack I was watching a Alton Brown show and he did a show using a lunch box cooker I though it was kwell!!! I know it be a battery hog and would not use it at camp without power but when you arive late at campground you don't want to have to cook late into the night. With this you could have your meal cooking while you are driving to camp and have it ready when you arrive at camp and finish set up, having your meal ready and waiting for you to eat it. 8)
Arthur,

ASL spoken here
apratt
Gold Donating Member

Postby madjack » Thu Aug 31, 2006 11:39 am

Art, I had one and it worked well enough in the truck...I used it to heat leftovers brought from home or Hot Pockets, etc. picked up at truckstops...they all work...just not efficiently, which is why I added the caveat about "camping situations" where battery power may be limited...in the big rig, I had virtually unlimited 12vdc power available.......
madjack 8)
...I have come to believe that, conflict resolution, through violence, is never acceptable.....................mj
madjack
Site Admin

Postby Joseph » Thu Aug 31, 2006 11:55 am

apratt wrote:With this you could have your meal cooking while you are driving to camp and have it ready when you arrive at camp and finish set up, having your meal ready and waiting for you to eat it.

You want to cook while you drive? Then you need a copy of Manifold Destiny: The One, the Only, Guide to Cooking on Your Car Engine! by Bill Sheller. It's out of print and copies can get very pricey - $35 is actually on the low side.

Joseph
Joseph
Teardrop Pirate

Postby srfrcrux » Fri Sep 29, 2006 11:30 pm

Hello,
Just wondering what a good choice for a stove is???
If there is a good link then please just paste it....I'll do the reading.
thanx again,
srf
Adopt a Drop or be board to tears!!!!
www.myspace.com/thelains
srfrcrux
Donating Member

Postby stjohn » Sat Sep 30, 2006 12:18 am

WE have got one kinda like this
Only he who attempts the ridiculous
Can achieve the impossible
stjohn
The 300 Club

Postby stjohn » Sat Sep 30, 2006 12:21 am

Jack or mike would you please fix my pic thanks Mike
stjohn
The 300 Club

Postby Kevin A » Sat Sep 30, 2006 12:27 am

stjohn wrote:Jack or mike would you please fix my pic thanks Mike

Mike, it should work right now... :thumbsup:

BTW, where did you find that one? I have two of that style of stove, but mine are not that fancy.
"Follow me, I'm right behind you"

ImageImage
Kevin A
The other guy

Postby stjohn » Sat Sep 30, 2006 12:41 am

Kevin thanks for the help. :thumbsup: ours is not a coleman it some company named AJ something or other My father-in-law gave it to me about 3 years ago we really like it On a nother note that same father -in law is in the hospital for the 3rd time this month w/ a bad heart please keep him in your thoughts really is a great guy

Mike
stjohn
The 300 Club

Postby Kevin A » Sat Sep 30, 2006 12:45 am

stjohn wrote:Kevin thanks for the help. :thumbsup: ours is not a coleman it some company named AJ something or other My father-in-law gave it to me about 3 years ago we really like it On a nother note that same father -in law is in the hospital for the 3rd time this month w/ a bad heart please keep him in your thoughts really is a great guy

Mike

Mike, sorry to hear about your father in law, I sure will keep him in my thoughts and prayers.
"Follow me, I'm right behind you"

ImageImage
Kevin A
The other guy

Return to General Discussion