1/8 or 1/4 interior roof

Anything to do with mechanical, construction etc

1/8 or 1/4 interior roof

Postby srfrcrux » Thu Oct 05, 2006 10:21 pm

Okay, so I'm not sure if this will work yet but the HD near me doesn't seem to carry 1/8 luan ply...will the 1/4 bend as well?

Will it have to much spring back on the Hatch?
Anything you can tell me? Please?
thanks...
Adopt a Drop or be board to tears!!!!
www.myspace.com/thelains
srfrcrux
Donating Member

Postby Miriam C. » Thu Oct 05, 2006 10:32 pm

HD won't carry it. They may get it for you though. Have to ask if they carry anything in 1/8. Hint---Ask the regular lumber yards or cabinet shops. Depending on your bend the 1/4 will work but IMHO isn't worth the trouble for the interior. All of my ply except the side walls is running side to side so It bends. The 1/8 Birch bends much better than the veneer I tried first and 1/8 Baltic Birch had the best bend but had patches.

Hope it helps.
“Forgiveness means giving up all hope for a better past.â€
Miriam C.
our Aunti M

Postby doug hodder » Thu Oct 05, 2006 10:49 pm

Another suggestion would be to look for 1/8 birch ply in 4x8...not necessarily baltic...I've got a small HD near me and they carry it...not all stores may carry the luan...and on the interior, unless you want the luan look, the birch may be a better way to go...and the 1/8" will bend a lot better in both directions than the 1/4"...think of it...you're trying to bend twice the thickness. The 1/8" birch veneered ply also finishes up alot nicer over the luan, tighter and more attractive grain for a finish...just depends on the interior look/finish you want...Doug
doug hodder
*Snoop Dougie Doug

Postby dwgriff1 » Thu Oct 05, 2006 11:27 pm

Lauan is a decent construcction material. I spent some time looking for some finish to make it look workable and gave up and painted it. I kept the cabinet work stained wood, but painted the rest of the interior.

If you want the plywood to show, interior or exterior, get something that looks good from the get go. It's a lot easier than putting on all of that photo shop stuff.

dave
dwgriff1
500 Club

Postby asianflava » Fri Oct 06, 2006 1:59 am

I checked all the big box stores near me, no one had 1/8 ply. Luckily, the guy at 84 lumber suggested a store in town. They had all the wood that I was looking for.

If they don't have what you are looking for, ask them who would.
asianflava
8000 Club
8000 Club

Re: 1/8 or 1/4 interior roof

Postby Steve_Cox » Fri Oct 06, 2006 5:48 am

srfrcrux wrote:Okay, so I'm not sure if this will work yet but the HD near me doesn't seem to carry 1/8 luan ply...will the 1/4 bend as well?

Will it have to much spring back on the Hatch?
Anything you can tell me? Please?
thanks...

I used what I could easily get locally, ended up with 1/4" red oak on the inside of the TD. It took to the radii just OK. 1/8" would have been better. On my hatch, I used door skins on the inside, I think they were 3mm thick, and came in 36" widths. I covered the inside of the hatch last and wished I'd had 1/8" for all tortured plywood parts on the whole project. Guess there's always next time. :D
Steve
Steve_Cox
4000 Club
4000 Club

Postby Arne » Fri Oct 06, 2006 6:24 am

same here. h/d did not carry it, so I called around and found a place not too far away that did.. looked under Lumber in the yellow pages.
www.freewebs.com/aero-1
---
I hope I never get too old to play (Arne, Sept 11, 2010)
Arne
Mr. Subject Line

Postby Steve Frederick » Fri Oct 06, 2006 7:59 am

I used 1/8" It takes to the curves well, and most any "real yard" will have it, or can get it easily! For underlayment, ask for door skins, a luan ply, 1/8" thick. For finished surfaces, I agree with Doug, use birch. It takes a finish nicely, and will lighten up the interior..if you like that look, of course!

:EXP On soapbox!!.
I think that if we, as builders/hobbiests, don't support the smaller yards, we'll see them go away into history, along with the drive-in, local butcher, pharmacy, etc. (Insert Happy Days Theme Here!) I find that the locally owned yard will be really responsive, and usually competitive. At least my guy is!
Besides, most will agree that the box store's quality has declined, and selection is poor. They just sell you what is best for them, not the best product.

End Speech!! :EXP
Blessings, Steve
Adirondacks, Upstate New York
Building Journals
The Shop Manual's 8-years old!! Thank's everyone!
New! 'Rondack Lodge Plans!Order Here!
Steve Frederick
Custom Teardrop Builder

Location: Upstate New York, Adirondacks (Great Sacandaga Lake)

Postby madjack » Fri Oct 06, 2006 8:46 am

Steve Frederick wrote:
:EXP On soapbox!!.
I think that if we, as builders/hobbiests, don't support the smaller yards, we'll see them go away into history, along with the drive-in, local butcher, pharmacy, etc. (Insert Happy Days Theme Here!) I find that the locally owned yard will be really responsive, and usually competitive. At least my guy is!
Besides, most will agree that the box store's quality has declined, and selection is poor. They just sell you what is best for them, not the best product.

End Speech!! :EXP

...I gotta agree totally with Steve on this...I have a couple of "real" lumber yards in my area that will get you anything available...if it is out there, they will get it for ya...their prices are a tad(just a tad) higher but the quality of product and service is head and shoulders plus above what the box stores will doyafor...I now return you to the previously scheduled thread...
madjack 8)
...I have come to believe that, conflict resolution, through violence, is never acceptable.....................mj
madjack
Site Admin

Postby Arne » Fri Oct 06, 2006 8:47 am

Steve, I agree about small yards being competitive. I think I paid about $12/sheet of 4x8x1/8 for mahogany ply... and it was pretty good stuff... I did paint it for maintenance reasons, but it looked pretty good with some cpes on it.. next one I might leave the inside kind of natural, but will still coat the outside white, to match my van.
www.freewebs.com/aero-1
---
I hope I never get too old to play (Arne, Sept 11, 2010)
Arne
Mr. Subject Line

Postby srfrcrux » Fri Oct 06, 2006 12:00 pm

I'll check around...for sure.
I agree that the little guy is the best guy most of the time at least :)

but will the 1/4 lauan or luan bend the benroy radius (if anyone knows)...
already have some on hand....
www.myspace.com/thelains
srfrcrux
Donating Member

Postby madjack » Fri Oct 06, 2006 3:02 pm

srf...can it be done...easily...no...but it can be done with judicious steaming or putting it between some towels and soaking with boiling water...a couple of times...or kerfing...that is a tough bend to make with 1/4".........
madjack 8)
...I have come to believe that, conflict resolution, through violence, is never acceptable.....................mj
madjack
Site Admin

Postby GPW » Sun Oct 08, 2006 6:03 am

We used 1/8" prefinished (white) Masonite for our interior ceiling on the Big Bugout... worked easily , relatively inexpensive, pre-finished (time), easy to clean and actually "old school "TD material ...screws and finish washers hold it in place ,making it removeable for further access...

I built my house and Studio from a small local lumberyard .... they provided the best materials ... and service , and it was actually cheaper than buying the C**p that the HD,L or other big -box stores sell... :thumbsup:
There’s no place like Foam !
GPW
Gold Donating Member

Postby Tripmaker » Mon Oct 09, 2006 9:01 am

I lucked out. One HD near me had two piles of 1/8 5x5. One pile had a nice finish on both sides but was a special order and I couldn't buy any. The other had one side finished and most of the sheets were damaged on one corner or edge. Fortunately cutting it down to 58.5" cut off the bad spots. I was able to buy it for $7 a sheet which I thought was pretty good. HD can order it for you. I installed the first piece yesterday and it bent around the 19" radius quite well.

I plan to skin the outside with AL. Is 1/8 enough under the AL or do I need to double it up and have 1/4 on the outer shell?
Jim

I started with nothing and still have most of it left.
Tripmaker
500 Club

Postby srfrcrux » Mon Oct 09, 2006 9:14 am

well, I have been calling around...w/o any luck so far...is there any Louisiana TDers out there that knows of a place that I can get 1/8" 4X8 birch or lauan ply that I will be going through on the way to LCG from Baton Rouge....? Just curious, keeping the options open, I'll be calling around all this week as well surely there is something here...
www.myspace.com/thelains
srfrcrux
Donating Member

Next

Return to Teardrop Construction Tips & Techniques