Side Attached with Pocket hole screws.

Anything to do with mechanical, construction etc

Side Attached with Pocket hole screws.

Postby NightCap » Fri Oct 06, 2006 4:20 pm

I attached the sides to the subfloor of my teardrop. I used liquid nails and pocket hole screws every six inches. It really is a firm connection. It is really starting to look like a real tear. Now the floor will go in. I'm putting 6" between the floor and subfloor to stow my very big kites and tent poles etc. Access will be from the galley and doors under the bed for tools and other stuff that I will need from time to time.

#1 - 100% Done #2 - 100% Done Thinking about #3
NightCap
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby cablerunners » Fri Oct 06, 2006 5:08 pm

Looking good!

I like your idea for storage under the floor.

:thumbsup:

-phil
cablerunners
Teardrop Master

Postby Jiminsav » Fri Oct 06, 2006 6:34 pm

Nightcap, that looks spiffy, now, go along the outside and put a pocket hole and screw between the ones you have inside..the ones from inside out are just holding on the edge of the wood, you need some screws towards the interior of the floor.
Jim in Savannah
If you can read this bumper sticker, my camper fell off.
Jiminsav
3000 Club
3000 Club

Postby 48Rob » Fri Oct 06, 2006 7:13 pm

I agree with Jim,

Liquid nails is okay, but those screws aren't into much, and counting on glue alone is pretty risky considering all the heart and soul you're going to be hinging on that connection...

Looks like a great start! :thumbsup:

Rob
Waiting for "someday" will leave you on your deathbed wondering why you didn't just rearrange your priorities and enjoy the time you had, instead of waiting for a "better" time to come along...
48Rob
Super Lifetime Member

Postby Micro469 » Fri Oct 06, 2006 11:19 pm

Jiminsav wrote:Nightcap, that looks spiffy, now, go along the outside and put a pocket hole and screw between the ones you have inside..the ones from inside out are just holding on the edge of the wood, you need some screws towards the interior of the floor.

Dang... If he does that he's got to take it all apart again.... Back to square one........ :oops:
John
Micro469
Super Lifetime Member

Postby John Foote » Sat Oct 07, 2006 3:48 am

I can't see the picture (red X) or the details of what's happening here, but I do have substantial regard for pocket hole screws and glue. When reasonably well executed, it's a strong connection. Really, really strong.
John Foote
Teardrop Builder

Postby dacrazyrn » Sat Oct 07, 2006 4:01 am

Yeah! Try to take that sucker apart right now! Depending on the depth you set the pocket jig for is probably what matters. if you didn't just leave 1/4 inch under the screw...I think your good. :D
Mine was done the exact same way as yours (mine does not overhang, by the way), but I had to drill out the rest of the pilot hole because I didn't go real deep and used REALLLLLLYYYYYY long deck screws.
dacrazyrn
Teardrop Master

Postby Steve_Cox » Sat Oct 07, 2006 6:05 am

Nightcap,

I don't have much confidence in a plywood end-grain joint like that, but I have a tendency to overbuild. But after all, we are building torsion boxes of a sort, after everything else is put together it will probably be strong enough. Finding the lower threshold of "strong enough" and surpassing it to some degree is all you need. I like the looks of it, really clean joinery. Is that the Liquid Nails 4X construction adhesive? I like that stuff better than any of the PL products.
Steve
Steve_Cox
4000 Club
4000 Club

Postby Jiminsav » Sat Oct 07, 2006 10:11 am

Micro469 wrote:
Jiminsav wrote:Nightcap, that looks spiffy, now, go along the outside and put a pocket hole and screw between the ones you have inside..the ones from inside out are just holding on the edge of the wood, you need some screws towards the interior of the floor.

Dang... If he does that he's got to take it all apart again.... Back to square one........ :oops:

Micro, he won't have to take it apart..just drill from the outside..put the pocket hole jig on the side like he did on the inside and drill happily away.

i'm sure he's gonna cover it anyways, so the holes won't show.
Jim in Savannah
If you can read this bumper sticker, my camper fell off.
Jiminsav
3000 Club
3000 Club

Postby dacrazyrn » Sat Oct 07, 2006 10:22 am

Oh yeah....I do have a 1x4 connected on the bottom of my 3/4 ply. Well secured with glue and screws also.
dacrazyrn
Teardrop Master

Postby NightCap » Sat Oct 07, 2006 11:17 am

I will have several glue and screw cleats along the entire length of the wall to screw the top floor to. I hope that makes sense. That will add a second level of holdtogetherness. I will include more photos in my album of that process. Thanks for all your comments, I can't afford to make many or any mistakes.
NightCap
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby Miriam C. » Sat Oct 07, 2006 3:17 pm

Nightcap,
With the metal frame going all the way around your trailer you won't really need outside screws. What you might consider is putting screws from the inside to the metal frame. Use self tapping and just drill away. Shouldn't take many and you will have your spars to keep it from coming in on you. jmho.
“Forgiveness means giving up all hope for a better past.â€
Miriam C.
our Aunti M

Postby NightCap » Sat Oct 07, 2006 5:24 pm

Miriam C. wrote:Nightcap,
With the metal frame going all the way around your trailer you won't really need outside screws. What you might consider is putting screws from the inside to the metal frame. Use self tapping and just drill away. Shouldn't take many and you will have your spars to keep it from coming in on you. jmho.

That would not hurt one bit. Very good idea. Thanks Miriam!

Kevin
NightCap
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby BillyLandry » Sat Oct 07, 2006 11:08 pm

Looking good nitecap. Look like you are one step ahead of me. I will be putting my sides on either tomorrow or Monday. Keep up the good work.
"It's not the qualifications--It's the willingnest."
BillyLandry
Donating Member

Postby forestfrog » Sun Oct 08, 2006 1:12 am

Looks good...I like the underfloor storage idea! :thumbsup:
Kristi
~*~Stand still and be awed by Nature...~*~
forestfrog
Teardrop Master

Next

Return to Teardrop Construction Tips & Techniques