Wacky idea on a heater!!!

Anything to do with mechanical, construction etc

Wacky idea on a heater!!!

Postby doug hodder » Sat Oct 07, 2006 11:25 pm

Now this isn't for everyone, but might be for those of you that like to camp in areas with power in colder temps....it's a trick that I've done on dog houses...
I thought about it when reading all the recent info on body wattage output in another thread..
What I have done is get an industrial exterior light housing...one of those with an aluminum cage and glass cover...stick in a 150 watt or whatever size bulb you want, more wattage, more heat...paint out the glass housing, black...ideally mount it under some interior cabinets down by your feet, so you get better air flow, heats the foot area and then flows out into the rest of the compartment... probably mount it off the bulkhead up near the bottom of the shelves. It won't give you a blast of heat, but when plugged in it will warm up the area fairly well...I used it on dog houses in Denver and the temps would be well below 0 and with a flap on the door...it was in the 40's in the house, insulated however...she's spoiled...Daisy would stay out all day long in it...now I don't camp in those temps...but it might be interesting to see if some of the more scientific types could run some numbers on the BTU's given off by a bulb and what effect it might have on a volume of air inside of a tear...Hey...it isn't a cure-all...but if you camp with power...it's cheaper than a propane furnace.
Pros...cheaper to run, no noise, no vent, less weight, inexpensive to do, dry heat, lower fire hazard, no risk of CO...
Cons..doesn't heat up fast, more long term heating cycle, gotta camp with power. would require more thought on installation...
I just thought it was an idea, and if any of the Mr. Science types could run some numbers on it, might be viable, and anyone that has worked with a touble light in confined spaces might just agree on this...just a thought... :thinking: Doug
doug hodder
*Snoop Dougie Doug

Postby stjohn » Sat Oct 07, 2006 11:32 pm

Doug I'm not a science guy but working on my daughter's car monday I got a blister spot on my forehead from a trouble light they do get hot :o :lol:
Only he who attempts the ridiculous
Can achieve the impossible
stjohn
The 300 Club

Postby apratt » Sat Oct 07, 2006 11:44 pm

Doug, I don't think your idea is wacky at all. As small as a teardrop is it should warm it real toasty with a 150 watt bulb. Good thing with a light bulb no carbon.
I converted a full size refrigerator into a sandpaper cabinet and I used a 40 watt bulb in it, it kept it very toasty and warm! Even when my shop was only 40 degrees.
When not camping with electric, I was going to try using a candle. Thinking of making a mounting where the candle can not get knocked over and try that. I have used candles in a 8' cabover camper and it took the chill off in it. My camper is and old one and I don't think it is very well insulated at all.
Arthur,

ASL spoken here
apratt
Gold Donating Member

Postby doug hodder » Sat Oct 07, 2006 11:51 pm

Arthur...now that I think of it...we used to store welding rod in an old fridge with a light bulb in it, really knocked down the humidity...it kept for a long time...didn't think of the sandpaper thing...Doug :thumbsup:
doug hodder
*Snoop Dougie Doug

Postby Podunkfla » Sun Oct 08, 2006 12:15 am

When we used to travel in a conversion van a few years ago we used an old hair dryer to heat the van. It was a flea market find for $2. One of those type with a hose and plastic bonnet. I whacked it down to just he blower unit and painted it black. I think it was about 200 watts. It worked great for years through three different vans. :)

Here's an ugly one: ugly ebay clicky
<B>~ Brick
<I>... I've done so much with so little for so long... Now I can do almost anything with nothing! </I></B>
Image...Lots more pix here!
Podunkfla
ol' noodle haid

Postby GPW » Sun Oct 08, 2006 5:56 am

What about those cheapie little electric heaters from the Wal-Mart ...??? Ten minutes on low and you could bake in there....
Ceramic disk heaters ???
How about someone designing a miniature pot bellied stove sorta' thing made outta' pipe and fed with outside air and vented with a small chimney .... a couple lumps of charcoal would keep things toasty when camping where there there are no electrons available ???
There’s no place like Foam !
GPW
Gold Donating Member

Postby rasp » Sun Oct 08, 2006 6:42 am

i used to heat up my '65 vw engine with a 200 watt bulb on winter mornings so that it would start.
Thinking is more interesting than knowing, but less interesting than looking
rasp
Teardrop Master

Postby RAYVILLIAN » Sun Oct 08, 2006 9:18 am

Doug
I use a ceramic heater in the Winter warrior and it's over kill, 1500 watts, but the light bulb idea works great to keep my chicken waterer from freezing in the winter. 200 watt bulb under an old enamel pan will keep the water warm at 15 degrees and that's without any insulation. If I insulated it I could probably use the water to take a sponge bath.

Gary
Where ever we raise the hatch is home.
Darn blank states keep getting further away and we keep traveling slower ain't never gona get this map full.
111961Image
RAYVILLIAN
Lifetime member

Postby Gerdo » Sun Oct 08, 2006 9:54 am

I've seen a heater element that screws into a standard light bulb socket. They are sold at pet shops.
Gerdo
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby Ma3tt » Sun Oct 08, 2006 10:00 am

I'm looking for one of these CHEAP you know I like vintage but maybe this is too old. You know turn of the century when they had horse drawn teardrops.

http://tinyurl.com/g8fny

Ceramic bed warmer, ok its a fancy hot water bottle.
Be Good
1967 Siesta del Sobrino "Standy"
If you lived here... you would be home by now.
http://www.Camp-Cook.com
Ma3tt
Dutch Oven GURU

Postby apratt » Sun Oct 08, 2006 10:13 am

Gerdo wrote:I've seen a heater element that screws into a standard light bulb socket. They are sold at pet shops.

Gerdo, I never heard of that type of heater, so I google pet stores then heaters. I found what you was talking about, I like it!! It is called Ceramic infared heat emitter. They come in different wattage. I do wonder how hot the surface get? can they burn you?? :thinking:
Arthur,

ASL spoken here
apratt
Gold Donating Member

Postby madjack » Sun Oct 08, 2006 10:23 am

Arthur, I'm like you...never heard of such a thing...abso-tively mahvahlus...they had wattages from 60W up...probably gets fairly warm or even hot but would beat the he!! out of a light bulb and I bet it would make an ideal TD heater....ya learn something new everyday around this joint!!!!!!!!!!!!
madjack 8)
...I have come to believe that, conflict resolution, through violence, is never acceptable.....................mj
madjack
Site Admin

Postby bledsoe3 » Sun Oct 08, 2006 10:51 am

apratt wrote:.
When not camping with electric, I was going to try using a candle. Thinking of making a mounting where the candle can not get knocked over and try that. I have used candles in a 8' cabover camper and it took the chill off in it. My camper is and old one and I don't think it is very well insulated at all.

There was a thread some time ago about using candles for heating when no power was available. I didn't think one candle would be enough, so I made a 3 candle heater using a 1 qt. paint can and a $1 box of candles.
I melted about 5 candles in the can and set three in the middle and let it solidify.
If you do what you've always done, you'll get what you've always got.
bledsoe3
3000 Club
3000 Club

Postby apratt » Sun Oct 08, 2006 11:49 am

bledsoe3 wrote:
apratt wrote:.

There was a thread some time ago about using candles for heating when no power was available. I didn't think one candle would be enough, so I made a 3 candle heater using a 1 qt. paint can and a $1 box of candles.
I melted about 5 candles in the can and set three in the middle and let it solidify.

Wow!! a quart can!! that should last a long time, but that would do the job. :thumbsup:
Arthur,

ASL spoken here
apratt
Gold Donating Member

Postby Jiminsav » Sun Oct 08, 2006 12:21 pm

until I read about the pet heater gizzy, I was gonna sugest a french fry light like they use in McDonalds..them sum beaches is HOT..
Jim in Savannah
If you can read this bumper sticker, my camper fell off.
Jiminsav
3000 Club
3000 Club

Next

Return to Teardrop Construction Tips & Techniques