Placement of Roof Vent

Anything to do with mechanical, construction etc

Placement of Roof Vent

Postby kayakrguy » Mon Oct 16, 2006 12:08 pm

Hello Folks,

Does it make much difference where you mount the roof vent. At present, our frame for the vent is near the center of the roof, and the windows in the doors will be near the center as well. My question:

Should the fan be 'off center'-say nearer the front of the sleeping cabin so that there will be better 'mixing' of cooler air with cabin air, or is the space small enough that it doesn't make much difference?

Any experience that you can share would be appreciated...

Jim
A disposition to preserve, and an ability to improve, taken together, would be my standard of a statesman...

But what is liberty without wisdom, and without virtue? It is the greatest of all possible evils; for it is folly, vice, and madness, without tuition or restraint.

Edmund Burke
kayakrguy
Lifetime member

Postby Sonetpro » Mon Oct 16, 2006 1:03 pm

Jim I placed mine to the rear of the cabin. I didn't want it to come in the windows and then go straight out of the top. But also because that is the hight point too.
}><)))'> ~--------------·´¯) SteveT
You don't know what the limit's are until you take it there.ImageImageImage
Sonetpro
Site Admin

Postby Ira » Mon Oct 16, 2006 1:37 pm

Jim, you said it yourself:

In that small space, I doubt it really makes much of a difference exactly where you put it. Whatever works for your design.
Here we go again!
Ira
Forum Storyteller

Postby Gerdo » Mon Oct 16, 2006 3:18 pm

My head is to the reat of my TD. My fan is favoring the rear also. I wanted to get the bad air from over my head and to not have a straight shot (in the window and out the vent) But a more diagional flow. I also looked at the exterior semitry.
Gerdo
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby Miriam C. » Mon Oct 16, 2006 5:17 pm

Just make sure you pay close attention to where you are putting other stuff. :oops: Mine's off set so it gets out of the garage. Makes a triangle between the windows.
“Forgiveness means giving up all hope for a better past.â€
Miriam C.
our Aunti M

Postby toypusher » Mon Oct 16, 2006 5:52 pm

Mine is centered as are the doors (windows in doors) and with curtains hung, the air comes in the window and under the bottom of the curtains and then up through the vent. This causes the air to flow over you when you are lying on the mattress. Seems to work just fine.
toypusher
Site Admin

Postby kayakrguy » Mon Oct 16, 2006 6:27 pm

Folks,

Thanks for the input...One fact I forgot to mention...we are 10' long. So, when we're lying down, our KNEES are about at the midpoint on the doors and, defacto, the widows. After reading here I realized that the length of the unit would be a factor in the airflow and its cooling ability, and perhaps offsetting, given our length would be a good idea

Tomorrow I will relocate the FV cradle toward the front of the trailer so that we get more of the air circulation over us while sleeping.

If the Devil doesn't get you, the details will <g>

Thanks again,

Jim
A disposition to preserve, and an ability to improve, taken together, would be my standard of a statesman...

But what is liberty without wisdom, and without virtue? It is the greatest of all possible evils; for it is folly, vice, and madness, without tuition or restraint.

Edmund Burke
kayakrguy
Lifetime member

Return to Teardrop Construction Tips & Techniques