Best connector to Tap-In to a wire?

Anything electric, AC or DC

Best connector to Tap-In to a wire?

Postby greasywheats » Wed Oct 18, 2006 10:33 am

I am splitting one of my available circuits from my converter to control my two porch lights (each with its own interior light switch). Is a crimp on plastic tap-in the best option to make the split before the two light switches. Something like this...

Or is there another splitter that I should consider? I want something that is going to hold tight. I used these plastic ones on my HF trailer and I wasn't too in love with them. Any suggestions? Thanks!
greasywheats
Teardrop Master

Postby halfdome, Danny » Wed Oct 18, 2006 10:42 am

Those things are the worst to use in my opinion. You will either have a cut/broken wire or it will come loose. I recommend that you get out the soldering gun and make a permanent connection followed up with heat shrink tubing or electrical tape. :) Danny
ImageImage
"Conditions are never just right. People who delay action until all factors are favorable do nothing". William Feather
Don't accept "It's Good Enough" build to the best of your abilities.
Teardroppers Of Oregon & WashingtonImage
halfdome, Danny
*Happy Camper

Postby greasywheats » Wed Oct 18, 2006 10:49 am

That was my feeling as well! I am a wiring novice, so here come the stupid Qs-

Is there a Y-type connector/splitter that I am going to solder the wires into, or are you saying to just twist the three wires (one from the converter & one to each light switch) and solder together, or to splice one wire (leading to the 2nd switch/light) into the wire that goes from the converter to the 1st switch/light and solder the splice? I have never done any wiring, so sorry for the soldering 101 questions...

Thanks for any guidance!
greasywheats
Teardrop Master

Postby halfdome, Danny » Wed Oct 18, 2006 11:19 am

greasywheats wrote:That was my feeling as well! I am a wiring novice, so here come the stupid Qs-

Is there a Y-type connector/splitter that I am going to solder the wires into, or are you saying to just twist the three wires (one from the converter & one to each light switch) and solder together, or to splice one wire (leading to the 2nd switch/light) into the wire that goes from the converter to the 1st switch/light and solder the splice? I have never done any wiring, so sorry for the soldering 101 questions...

Thanks for any guidance!

First off, I'm in no way an electrician. I have looked for a connector as you mentioned with no success. I have spliced wires in both of your examples and they have worked. I like cut into the main wire and set the new wire next to one half and put the remaining wire in from the other direction and then solder. It makes a smoother looking junction and I feel it will be stronger. I'm sure there are some electricians out there that can give you better guidance on this matter. Danny
ImageImage
"Conditions are never just right. People who delay action until all factors are favorable do nothing". William Feather
halfdome, Danny
*Happy Camper

Postby greasywheats » Wed Oct 18, 2006 11:27 am

Thanks for the guidance Danny. It seems like a metal Y-splitter would be the way to go, but I haven't found anything either. Let's see if some of the electricians on the board have an opinion... By the way...great looking Tear. Chalk another one up for the PNW! :applause:
greasywheats
Teardrop Master

Postby halfdome, Danny » Wed Oct 18, 2006 11:38 am

greasywheats wrote:Thanks for the guidance Danny. It seems like a metal Y-splitter would be the way to go, but I haven't found anything either. Let's see if some of the electricians on the board have an opinion... By the way...great looking Tear. Chalk another one up for the PNW! :applause:

Thank You, good luck :) Danny
ImageImage
halfdome, Danny
*Happy Camper

Postby rbeemer » Wed Oct 18, 2006 11:38 am

I am also no electrician but I would think that you could install something like a fuse panel that goes from your converter then you could run multiple circuits from the fuse panel. Joanne's desert dawg project had a good electrical diagram that may be of some help.You could check her website or PM her to get the diagram
Rick

If ducks had scales, would fish quack?
rbeemer
500 Club

Postby greasywheats » Wed Oct 18, 2006 11:49 am

Thanks for the input...I may have to do that now that I think of it- I actually have the same situation for my reading lights. Given my converter only has 3 available outgoing circuits, I would need to put my Fantastic fan, 2 12v outlets, and my galley dome light(s) on the last circuit (too much on one line-particularly with the little 12v heater that would plug into the cabin 12v outlet). Maybe i'll do as you say for the 3rd circuit.
Thanks for your input - much appreciated!
greasywheats
Teardrop Master

Postby Ken A Hood » Wed Oct 18, 2006 12:01 pm

http://www.delcity.net/delcity/servlet/ ... 382&page=1

Something like this might also work, but it's similar to just soldering it to the existing wire/with shrink wrap.

They also have pigtail connectors, with a sealant,

Disclaimer: I in no way resemble the avatar shown. Furthermore, I in no way have any affiliation to the Trailer Park Boys and more specifically Bubbles!
Ken A Hood
500 Club

Postby madjack » Wed Oct 18, 2006 12:10 pm

Greasy, one thing you can do is to buy an inexpensive fuse block and wirh that to one of the available circuits on the converter and then use the aux fuse block for your extra circuits...
madjack 8)
...I have come to believe that, conflict resolution, through violence, is never acceptable.....................mj
madjack
Site Admin

Postby halfdome, Danny » Wed Oct 18, 2006 12:54 pm

You could add on one of these.
from Boaters World. I have one and they are great. :thumbsup: Danny
ImageImage
halfdome, Danny
*Happy Camper

Postby greasywheats » Wed Oct 18, 2006 12:58 pm

I was just looking at one just like it at West Marine. About how big is it? I can't find dimensions... I would like something small as my electronics cabinet is small, but something with a cover would be nice to avoid anything knocking into the block.
Thanks!
greasywheats
Teardrop Master

Postby halfdome, Danny » Wed Oct 18, 2006 1:06 pm

greasywheats wrote:I was just looking at one just like it at West Marine. About how big is it? I can't find dimensions... I would like something small as my electronics cabinet is small, but something with a cover would be nice to avoid anything knocking into the block.
Thanks!

Mine has 12 circuits & is 3 1/4" x 6 1/2" and about 1 1/2 " thick. That one looks smaller than mine. It's Coast Guard approved so you know it is made well. :) Danny
ImageImage
halfdome, Danny
*Happy Camper

Postby greasywheats » Wed Oct 18, 2006 1:13 pm

Yikes- 12 circuits! either you have a lot of expansion space or you are remotely controlling the US satellite program from your teardrop! 8)
I am definitely going to add an auxiliary panel for my remaining fixtures.
:thumbsup:
greasywheats
Teardrop Master

Postby greasywheats » Wed Oct 18, 2006 1:17 pm

I'm still going to split the first two circuits for the two seperate light installations that I have, so I would still be interested in any further comment on the best way to do a Y-type split.
greasywheats
Teardrop Master

Next

Return to Electrical Secrets