Fenderwells done

Anything to do with mechanical, construction etc

Fenderwells done

Postby SkipperSue » Wed Oct 18, 2006 8:18 pm

I got the fenderwells finished tonight. I used pocket hole screws to attach the frame of the fenderwell to the floor, then used counter sunk galv deck screws to put the "lid" on. :) All with plenty of glue. I'll next tar the inside of them and will be about ready to attach the floor to the frame. I've been waiting about 3 days on drying of the floor, I sanded and then used boiled linseed oil for a first coat. Oh I love the smell of boiled linseed oil! :R That stuff takes a long time to dry but it really gets into the fibers of the wood.
A helper sitting on the well. :twisted: :lol:
Skipper
SkipperSue
Gold Donating Member

Postby bdosborn » Wed Oct 18, 2006 9:29 pm

Hey, I used to have a green hammer like that! I went through a bunch of them because they broke so easy. Funny thing though, I kept buying them.
:lol: :lol:
The floor looks good too. :thumbsup:
Bruce
2009 6.5'X11' TTT - Boxcar
All it takes is a speck of faith and a few kilowatts of sweat and grace.
Boxcar Build
aVANger Build
bdosborn
Donating Member

Postby Miriam C. » Wed Oct 18, 2006 9:41 pm

:lol: Hey I need a hammer like that.
Good job Skipper.
“Forgiveness means giving up all hope for a better past.â€
Miriam C.
our Aunti M

Postby forestfrog » Wed Oct 18, 2006 10:32 pm

Lookin' good!! :thumbsup: :applause: :thumbsup:
I could use a 'helper' like that right now, LOL! :lol:
Kristi
~*~Stand still and be awed by Nature...~*~
forestfrog
Teardrop Master

Postby Ira » Thu Oct 19, 2006 7:29 am

What does the lindseed oil do?
Here we go again!
Ira
Forum Storyteller

Postby SkipperSue » Thu Oct 19, 2006 8:19 am

Ira wrote:What does the lindseed oil do?

It's just a wood preservative. I used to refinish alot of gun stocks and most were origionally done with boiled linseed oil. The armories would actually put a lot of gun stocks in a giant vat of boiling linseed oil. It really gets into the wood fibers verry well. It's pretty much an "old timey" way to do them. Tung oil is another good one but I can't ever find anything other than a small little bottle. Birchwood Casey sells the tung oil, It's about the same but cures a bit darker and dries alot quicker. I get the boiled linseed oil in the quart size containers. Regular linseed oil would work but it prolly would take a year or more to dry!
Skipper
SkipperSue
Gold Donating Member

Postby Kynetx » Thu Oct 19, 2006 10:46 am

You don't have any problems with the plywood delaminating? That's what I'm curious about.

Does the boiled linseed oil resist further finishing or can it be painted over?
Kynetx
Teardrop Inspector

Postby SkipperSue » Thu Oct 19, 2006 11:13 am

Kynetx wrote:You don't have any problems with the plywood delaminating? That's what I'm curious about.

Does the boiled linseed oil resist further finishing or can it be painted over?

No problems with delaminating, there were some gun stocks during the WWII period that were laminated, pretty rare but they did have them.
Once dry it can be painted over no problem.

One caution about boiled linseed oil I forgot to mention. If you use rags to wipe up any oil that got where you didn't want it to go DO NOT wad the rags up. Spontanious combustion can occur. I had a friend that was doing a gun stock here in the shop at work. He wadded up his rag and threw it in the trash can. Around lunch time we looked at each other and said "do you smell something burning?" Sure nuff the trash can was smoking, lucky were were back in the shop having lunch! :? Other than that, it's a wonderfull product with a long history behind it.
Skipper
SkipperSue
Gold Donating Member

Postby Jiminsav » Thu Oct 19, 2006 5:07 pm

boiled linseed oil was used in the old days to waterproof small boats like carolina skiffs and row boats.wood ones of course..saw a old timer doing a boat liek that in his back yard..said it works like a champ.
Jim in Savannah
If you can read this bumper sticker, my camper fell off.
Jiminsav
3000 Club
3000 Club

Postby angib » Thu Oct 19, 2006 6:14 pm

Bein' Merkans I guess you're excused for not knowing this, but the most important use of linseed oil is to preserve your cricket bat.

Andrew
angib
5000 Club
5000 Club

Postby mikeschn » Thu Oct 19, 2006 6:51 pm

BTW, I like your fender wells... they look really familar too... :o

Mike...
The quality is remembered long after the price is forgotten, so build your teardrop with the best materials...
mikeschn
Site Admin

Postby Chaotica » Thu Oct 19, 2006 7:38 pm

SkipperSue wrote: Tung oil is another good one but I can't ever find anything other than a small little bottle.

Woodcraft sells tung oil by the quart.

http://www.woodcraft.com/family.aspx?FamilyID=768

They also sell what they call an outdoor oil, I'm not sure what it is though.

http://www.woodcraft.com/family.aspx?FamilyID=7260
Ed
Chaotica
Teardrop Master

Postby Melvin » Thu Oct 19, 2006 9:33 pm

SkipperSue wrote:One caution about boiled linseed oil I forgot to mention. If you use rags to wipe up any oil that got where you didn't want it to go DO NOT wad the rags up. Spontanious combustion can occur. I had a friend that was doing a gun stock here in the shop at work. He wadded up his rag and threw it in the trash can. Around lunch time we looked at each other and said "do you smell something burning?" Sure nuff the trash can was smoking,

To elaborate: BLO rags should be laid flat outside and away from combustables until they dry. Once they are dry they can be safely thrown in the trash. I lay them out on top of my garbage cans.
Commandant Louis Joseph Lahure has a singular distinction in military history - he defeated a navy on horseback. Occupying Holland in January 1795, the French continental army learned that the mighty Dutch navy had been frozen into the ice around Texel Island. So Lahure and 128 men simply rode up to it and demanded surrender. No shots were fired.
Melvin
Teardrop Master

Postby SkipperSue » Fri Oct 20, 2006 4:58 am

Melvin wrote:
SkipperSue wrote:One caution about boiled linseed oil I forgot to mention. If you use rags to wipe up any oil that got where you didn't want it to go DO NOT wad the rags up. Spontanious combustion can occur. I had a friend that was doing a gun stock here in the shop at work. He wadded up his rag and threw it in the trash can. Around lunch time we looked at each other and said "do you smell something burning?" Sure nuff the trash can was smoking,

To elaborate: BLO rags should be laid flat outside and away from combustables until they dry. Once they are dry they can be safely thrown in the trash. I lay them out on top of my garbage cans.

You are right, I should have mentioned that also. :? :shock: :o
Skipper
SkipperSue
Gold Donating Member

Return to Teardrop Construction Tips & Techniques