Making 1/4 round bend to fit the ceiling/wall join....

Anything to do with mechanical, construction etc

Making 1/4 round bend to fit the ceiling/wall join....

Postby kayakrguy » Sun Oct 22, 2006 6:56 pm

Hi Folks,

I will be putting quarter-round trim on the joint between the ceiling ply and the walls on our Snuggle Inn (our name for the T) I am thinking of soaking it in Hot Water in the tub to get it to bend around the curve in the front. Trust me, without some way of making it 'bendable' it would break on the 19" curve. Will Soaking work to make it bendable and then nail/glue it in place?
Once the quarter round is in place, all weather caulk would seal the join on the roof side.

I would appreciate hearing from those who have done this or something like it and if there are better ways of doing this than I am proposing, PLEASE tell me!

Pax,

Jim
A disposition to preserve, and an ability to improve, taken together, would be my standard of a statesman...

But what is liberty without wisdom, and without virtue? It is the greatest of all possible evils; for it is folly, vice, and madness, without tuition or restraint.

Edmund Burke
kayakrguy
Lifetime member

Re: Making 1/4 round bend to fit the ceiling/wall join....

Postby steve wolverton » Sun Oct 22, 2006 7:39 pm

kayakrguy wrote:I will be putting quarter-round trim on the joint between the ceiling ply and the walls on our Snuggle Inn (our name for the T) I am thinking of soaking it in Hot Water in the tub to get it to bend around the curve in the front.

Do you have the materials already? I seem to recall some 1/4 round that's made from a plastic material that is *very* flexible. I don't know much about steaming wood though.

Oh, and the name 'Snuggle Inn' is the awesome! :thumbsup:
�veni, vidi, vici.�
steve wolverton
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby BrwBier » Sun Oct 22, 2006 7:50 pm

I haven't tried this yet, but it sounded simple enough. I searched bending wood and found a sit to make a homemade steamer. It was just some pvc pipe and a few fittings and plugs. This was connected to a can on a camp stove. They used a NEW gas can and put water in it and connected it to the pvc pipe. Plugged the ends, provided a vent and heated the watter to make steam. The wood to be bent was put inside the pvc pipe and the end plugged. I think they steamed the wood about three hours, but I would think it would vary with the kind of wood to be bent. I think they used a gas can because it already had a spout and a vent.
Brwbier
BrwBier
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby SkipperSue » Sun Oct 22, 2006 7:54 pm

There was a post here on this forum not to long ago about steaming wood for bending. I can't remember where it was but it was in the last week or two.
Skipper
SkipperSue
Gold Donating Member

Postby Dale M. » Sun Oct 22, 2006 8:07 pm

BrwBier wrote:I haven't tried this yet, but it sounded simple enough. I searched bending wood and found a sit to make a homemade steamer. It was just some pvc pipe and a few fittings and plugs. This was connected to a can on a camp stove. They used a NEW gas can and put water in it and connected it to the pvc pipe. Plugged the ends, provided a vent and heated the watter to make steam. The wood to be bent was put inside the pvc pipe and the end plugged. I think they steamed the wood about three hours, but I would think it would vary with the kind of wood to be bent. I think they used a gas can because it already had a spout and a vent.
Brwbier

Origional concept of "gas can" steamer was on "New Yankee Workshop" some years ago...

Dale
Lives his life vicariously through his own self.

Any statement made by me are strictly my own opinion.
You are free to ignore anything I say if you do not agree.

Dale M.
2000 Club
2000 Club

Postby Juneaudave » Sun Oct 22, 2006 8:17 pm

Here is the post, I think... Post

A 1/4 round should be quite easy...and there are a number of ways to do it....here are some suggestions:

Steam bend it with a homemade steamer
    Use a heat gun and evenly (and gently, the wood will burn) heat the wood while you bend it in place. You can bend 1/4 oak in a 6 in radius with a simple heat gun.
    Soak it in a tub overnight.

If you go with a wet or steam method, I would suggest that once you get it out of the bath, quickly (in minutes, in the case of steam bending) wrap it around a form and let it dry overnight. The form can be the outside of a tear, an old tire..anything that has the approximate shape of that 19" radius. You'll get some rebound once it has dried and you release it, but it will then bend easily into place. Hope that helps...Juneaudave
Juneaudave
Super Duper Lifetime Member

Postby Kens » Sun Oct 22, 2006 8:28 pm

Not only did I soak it I had to cut releif cuts in the backside every 1/2" or so.
Good day every day!
Kens
500 Club

Postby WoodSmith » Sun Oct 22, 2006 8:31 pm

Despite what the little thingy under my name says, I havent yet built a tear. However, I am a woodworker and I do have some experience bending wood. What I use is a wallpaper steamer - it has an electric element and is just about as safe as using an electric kettle to boil water for tea.

This is the steamer I use: Wagner steamer I did not pay $114! I got it from a moving neighbors yard sale. To steam trim like you want to do, I tape the end of the hose to a chunk of PVC pipe and slide to trim in. Let it steam for 10 to 15 mins and take it out with a good pair of leather gloves. (Don't use the old pair with the hole in the thunb - trust me on this.) The trim WILL be hot! Bend as gently as possible, and unless it's real expensive trim, get a couple extra pieces to practice on and/or throw away if they break.

You can also use this steamer to bend your plywood - use the diffuser to hold the steam against the ply where you want the bend. Depending on the radius, you may not get it all at once. Bend as far as you can, clamp in place and let it dry a couple days, then do another session to get to where you want to go.
Last edited by WoodSmith on Sun Oct 22, 2006 9:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Glen Smith
Build Journal
WoodSmith
Donating Member

Postby Jst83 » Sun Oct 22, 2006 8:55 pm

SkipperSue wrote:There was a post here on this forum not to long ago about steaming wood for bending. I can't remember where it was but it was in the last week or two.

Here's the link I think your talking about
http://www.tnttt.com/viewtopic.php?t=11824
Juneaudave gave some real good advice on steaming and wood bending
Jst83
3000 Club
3000 Club

Postby toypusher » Mon Oct 23, 2006 5:25 am

There is also some immatation wood that you can get that is alot more bendable than real wood. The big box stores carry the stuff. It will break, but bends quite alot before it will break. I cannot think of what it is called right now.
toypusher
Site Admin

Postby IndyCubby » Mon Oct 23, 2006 6:30 am

I used the 1/4" quarter-round (pine) for my inside ceiling curve and didn't have any problems with it breaking. After staining it to match, I carefully bent it up into place and then just brad nailed it up.

You might try a piece of it dry first before going through the trouble of the steaming and all. If it breaks, your only out a couple bucks. It's cheap. If you want the bigger molding, then I would imagine that you would have to steam/soak it.
4x8 Cubby
"Finished" October, 2005
Gone, but not forgotten!
IndyCubby
Teardrop Master

Postby Steve Frederick » Mon Oct 23, 2006 6:38 am

Wrap in a wet rag for a couple of hours, then heat it with a heat gun. Hold in place 'til cooled. This is the method I have used quite a lot for stubborn strips on kayak stems.
Blessings, Steve
Adirondacks, Upstate New York
Building Journals
The Shop Manual's 8-years old!! Thank's everyone!
New! 'Rondack Lodge Plans!Order Here!
Steve Frederick
Custom Teardrop Builder

Location: Upstate New York, Adirondacks (Great Sacandaga Lake)

Postby kayakrguy » Mon Oct 23, 2006 9:52 am

Thanks, everyone, for the good guides to steaming and bending 1/4 round.

I have seen the bendy plastic stuff--our local HD only has it in a faux oak finish. I need something darker like mahogany or walnut....does the stuff come in those fauxs? <g> If it had a decent appearance I might go for it...

Jim
A disposition to preserve, and an ability to improve, taken together, would be my standard of a statesman...

But what is liberty without wisdom, and without virtue? It is the greatest of all possible evils; for it is folly, vice, and madness, without tuition or restraint.

Edmund Burke
kayakrguy
Lifetime member

Welcome Back Steve Wolverton

Postby Guy » Mon Oct 23, 2006 11:08 am

Welcome Back Steve Wolverton
Regards,

Guy
Keep on living, laughing, learning and loving.
Guy
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby Jiminsav » Mon Oct 23, 2006 3:04 pm

who is Steve Wolverton, and whats he have to do with bending trim?
Jim in Savannah
If you can read this bumper sticker, my camper fell off.
Jiminsav
3000 Club
3000 Club

Next

Return to Teardrop Construction Tips & Techniques