HEELLLP - - Converter Wiring ??

Anything electric, AC or DC

HEELLLP - - Converter Wiring ??

Postby Nobody » Mon Oct 23, 2006 7:56 pm

Thought I had this converter stuff all figured out :roll: but I'm still not able to make heads or tails of the wiring. Saved the thread from here http://tnttt.com/viewtopic.php?t=6958 along with the pix, & a couple more pix from another site. I'm still confused as to what to do with the "Y" wire & why it is made like that in the first place. Also, Tracy's (dacrazyrn) pix in the referenced thread show a "charger" wire to 12v lug "E" but the papers (minimal) that came with my American (Centurion) CS2000XL, as well as the instructions from Gratis (posted by dakotamouse) show that the battery connection should be lug "A". Additionally, my converter has six 12V fuse connectons (A thru F) useable instead of the 5 shown in the thread.

Should there be an additional wire for the charger instead of just the positive battery wire to Lug A, & if so, where does it come from? I'm planning to use a 20amp 120v breaker for main disconnect as Tracy shows in his 2nd pic, & connect the "Y" wire to the main, & the 'tag' end of the "Y" to shore power +, then another breaker for my 120v circuits. If I'm reading correctly that should take care of my ac, but I'm still unsure about the 12v distribution. Should I follow Gratis' (& my paperwork) instructions & use lug "A" for my battery/charger circuit, or use lug "E" or "F" :? .

Gotta get this thing wired up before Friday so I don't hafta carry a battery charger to madjack's big birthday bash ;)

Any help, either here or by PM greatly appreciated.
Harvey -

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Doing the right thing ain't always easy but, . . . it's always right!
Nobody
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby Sonetpro » Mon Oct 23, 2006 8:11 pm

}><)))'> ~--------------·´¯) SteveT
You don't know what the limit's are until you take it there.ImageImageImage
Sonetpro
Site Admin

Postby Sonetpro » Mon Oct 23, 2006 8:40 pm

Here's a quick sketch.
It's wired simular to mine.

Sonetpro
Site Admin

Postby Nobody » Mon Oct 23, 2006 8:55 pm

Thanks Steve, I have that site in my files & I'm still confused about the DC hookup. As I mentioned above, My CS2000XL converter has six fuse spaces available & the paperwork accompanying says to use Lug "A" for battery +. Pic 2 on the site you link says to use lug "E" for battery charger. Is that different than the battery + to lug A ?. Actually my converter has seven fuse spaces but only six lugs. Space seven has black tape over it so I assume (yeah, I know about ass-u-me :D ) it is a blank space, & not to be used ;) . Guess I could just hook it up according to the paper & see if it works, but if it's like that pic 2, there'll be no 12v distribution unless there's a fuse in position "E" (or maybe "F" in my case :? ). After all the trouble I had with my trailer running lights last month, I hesitate to "wing it" with this darn converter. My converter is identical to the one in your link except for the extra 12v fuse block, & the "Y" wire running from the 110v glass fuse at the bottom (charger power circuit??).
Harvey -

Nobody
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby Sonetpro » Mon Oct 23, 2006 9:06 pm

Harvey,
Ok I see what your saying. It appears they have their picture wrong. The Yellow wire going from the circuit board to the fuse block is the charge circuit. You need to run the battery to the one that has the Yellow wire going to it.
Sonetpro
Site Admin

Postby Nobody » Mon Oct 23, 2006 9:33 pm

NOW. . . WE GETTIN' SOMEPLACE :EXP :EXP . This afternoon I pulled the four screws that hold the dc fuse block & checked where the yellow wire was soldered. Think it was right beside the + mark at the top of fuse block D (I'll check it again to make sure). Kinda wondered about that but as I've said before, my electrical knowledge is minimal :R . I'll use that as a starting point first thing tomorrow & will hopefully get it wired up & at least part of the circuits working 'fore Friday. Wife wants to be able to plug in the coffee pot without having to run an ext cord from the shore power post ;) .

Thanks again Steve :thumbsup: :applause:
Harvey -

Nobody
1000 Club
1000 Club

Return to Electrical Secrets