Novice with electricals

Anything electric, AC or DC

Novice with electricals

Postby alexgray104 » Thu Oct 26, 2006 5:25 pm

O.K, onwards and upwards with the tear planning, I have another of my questions!

I only have a very basic understanding of electronics, so I am gonna get my electrician mate in to do all the electrics but I'm still curious!

Regarding batteries, can you connect two wires at once to them, for example the charger leads and the wire going to the distribution station/fusebox (see diagram!) If this is possible can these two wires both by put into one of those easy release clamps for the battery?

Grounding the 12v, do I do this like a car radio installation and just get it on to a bare piece of metal? (eg chassis) Or do I have to put the wire physically on the ground when I pitch up (like a trailing wire).

Most of the other stuff I'm okay with - wiring up the sockets and lights etc, so maybe if I find the answers to these questions I can do the 12v, and just get him to check it!

Not touching the 240v though - I'll leave that to him!

Quick thanks to the author of this diagram as well - its very clear and I've fiddled with it to fit in with my plans!

Connecting two wires to the battery diagram:
alexgray104
Teardrop Builder

Postby Dale M. » Thu Oct 26, 2006 6:13 pm

There is usually not any problem with connecting things the way you describe... Only danger may be that there is a current flow through charger when not powered up that may put drain on battery, BUT most modern chargers are built in such a way there is not a problem with this situation....

Also the quick disconnects in pictures tend to corrode when in contact with battery acid and oxygen... Suggest some anti oxidation/corrosion grease on all surfaces, it just a maintenance issue easily taken care of with some silicone dielectric grease... And yes even a "sealed" battery will weep acid up around posts where they go through battery case...

Dale
Lives his life vicariously through his own self.

Any statement made by me are strictly my own opinion.
You are free to ignore anything I say if you do not agree.

Dale M.
2000 Club
2000 Club

Postby alexgray104 » Thu Oct 26, 2006 6:35 pm

Thanks for clearing that up Dale, I just wanted to make sure its o.k to put wires together into that clamp - especially when one is putting energy into the battery whereas the other wire will be taking energy out.

Anyone have ideas on the grounding ques???
alexgray104
Teardrop Builder

Postby Chuck Craven » Thu Oct 26, 2006 7:24 pm

You want to reverse the fuse and the master switch also. Like battery pulse terminal then the master fuse as close to the battery as possible, then the master on / off switch, then the battery charger and the fuse panel. The master fuse protects the battery if a short in any load or the wiring happens. :shock:

Chuck
Chuck a new td builder
Chuck Craven
500 Club

Postby Dale M. » Thu Oct 26, 2006 9:48 pm

On grounding question I would run wire from device (auto radio) to ground bar at/near battery. It may be a questionable ground, if you attempt to connect to "anything" metal in TD... There is no guarantee the metal object is really connected to battery ground...

IF you have to run a battery lead (12volts) it is very easy to pair that up with a ground wire then there is never any question...

Dale
Lives his life vicariously through his own self.

Any statement made by me are strictly my own opinion.
You are free to ignore anything I say if you do not agree.

Dale M.
2000 Club
2000 Club

Postby bdosborn » Thu Oct 26, 2006 11:03 pm

Why not wire the battery charger into the fuse block and the ground block? Then you only have one wire to corrode at the battery and the charger is fused.
Bruce
2009 6.5'X11' TTT - Boxcar
All it takes is a speck of faith and a few kilowatts of sweat and grace.
Boxcar Build
aVANger Build
bdosborn
Donating Member

Postby Miriam C. » Fri Oct 27, 2006 10:19 pm

Grounding the 12v, do I do this like a car radio installation and just get it on to a bare piece of metal? (eg chassis) Or do I have to put the wire physically on the ground when I pitch up (like a trailing wire).

You can run all your wires back to the ground bar or screw them into the trailer. 12 volt needs only be grounded to metal not the "earth/ground".

Your 240 is best left to a professional whenever possible. Same for the 120vac.
“Forgiveness means giving up all hope for a better past.â€
Miriam C.
our Aunti M

Postby alexgray104 » Sat Oct 28, 2006 6:19 am

Thanks Miriam, I'll put the earth on to bare chassis, and let my electrician mate check all that over when he comes to fit the 240v - I ain't touching that!
alexgray104
Teardrop Builder

Return to Electrical Secrets