GFCI'S

Anything electric, AC or DC

GFCI'S

Postby CHUCKLEHEAD69 » Wed Oct 18, 2006 7:10 pm

IF U DONT HAVE WATER IN YOUR TRAILER IS IT REQUIRED FOR U TO HAVE GFCI'S, crap I'm not yelling sorry. don't most the campgrounds have gfci's at the pole. if it is required I'm thinking of gfci's breakers instead of outlets.thanks in advance
JUDE ------- "Laissez les bons temps rouler. let the good times roll"
CHUCKLEHEAD69
Teardrop Master

Postby Gerdo » Wed Oct 18, 2006 8:47 pm

A GFCI could save you from a shock. I plan on using a cord mounted GFCI. Or the first outlet on each circuit will be a GFCI and the rest will flow thru it. I would rather have redundantcy than get a shock, but that is the electrican in me. I run big lights in the rain w/o GFCI all the time but I'm always waiting for that shock.
Gerdo
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby CHUCKLEHEAD69 » Wed Oct 18, 2006 9:11 pm

are the gfci's breakers any good figure that will protect anything after them?
CHUCKLEHEAD69
Teardrop Master

Postby Dale M. » Wed Oct 18, 2006 10:01 pm

I personally would not trust any power system in any camp area I have to plug into(shore power)... Even if it has a GFI receptacle.... You never know the level of maintenance the camp is doing on electrical, and you never know what the person that was plugged in before you was up to.....

If nothing else spend a few extra dollars and put GFI breakers in your breaker panel and know whatever camp system is, YOUR system has you protected...

Also suggest you use receptacle tester to test shore power before you plug in your tear.... There have been cases of receptacle being dead or improperly wired....

Also like idea of having receptacle tester "on line" while you are plugged in to monitor shore power, like somebody engineered into their power panel in a thread in this message board....

Dale
Last edited by Dale M. on Thu Oct 19, 2006 10:14 am, edited 1 time in total.
Lives his life vicariously through his own self.

Any statement made by me are strictly my own opinion.
You are free to ignore anything I say if you do not agree.

Dale M.
2000 Club
2000 Club

Postby Endo » Thu Oct 19, 2006 5:34 am

At the very least use one of these.
It is a "plug in" GFCI adapter.
This would be a simple solution for anyone that did not install a GFCI in their trailer.
Here is a link:
click here
Brad (aka Endo)
ImageImage Image
In God We Trust
Endo
500 Club

Postby Gerdo » Thu Oct 19, 2006 9:24 am

GFI breakers are expensive so that is why most houses have a GFI outlet be the first on a circuit that protects the whole circuit. My house, and probably yours, has a GFI outlet in one bathroom that feeds the an outlet outside and in my garage. 200' of wire instead of more GFI outlets.
Gerdo
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby asianflava » Thu Oct 19, 2006 1:52 pm

Gerdo wrote:GFI breakers are expensive so that is why most houses have a GFI outlet be the first on a circuit that protects the whole circuit. My house, and probably yours, has a GFI outlet in one bathroom that feeds the an outlet outside and in my garage. 200' of wire instead of more GFI outlets.

That's how I wired my trailer, the first one is GFCI but the other 2 (Galley and Cabin) are regular outlets. Considering that regular outlets are sooo much cheaper, it was the economical way to go.
asianflava
8000 Club
8000 Club

Postby CHUCKLEHEAD69 » Thu Oct 19, 2006 3:05 pm

i have a friend that work in a supply warehouse and get my gfci breakers for cost(i think something like 13 bucks each
CHUCKLEHEAD69
Teardrop Master

Postby Gerdo » Thu Oct 19, 2006 3:15 pm

$13 Great price. I would do it.
Gerdo
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby angib » Thu Oct 19, 2006 5:53 pm

International perspective: in all new houses and rewires here, all socket outlet circuits must be fed through a ELCB (Earth Leakage Circuit Breaker, = GFCI) in the distribution panel.

Andrew
angib
5000 Club
5000 Club

GFCI or Not

Postby jdjernigan » Mon Oct 23, 2006 7:52 pm

My power inlet is wired directly to a power strip with a built in circuit breaker. From this strip, I am plugging in my battery charger and a small PC fan for battery box venting and cooling. I am not wiring my trailer for AC beyond this. All accessories are DC. Do I need a GFCI for this power strip??

Joe :thinking:
jdjernigan
Teardrop Inspector

Postby Dale M. » Mon Oct 23, 2006 10:04 pm

Well.......... IF..... If there is any chance AC voltage can come in contact with any metallic component of trailer, and if there is a chance you can come in contact with that metallic component and ground (earth) there is possible potential for electrocution.... GFI may prevent you from dying...

Dale

Dale M.
2000 Club
2000 Club

Postby Miriam C. » Tue Oct 24, 2006 10:21 pm

Dale M. wrote:Well.......... IF..... If there is any chance AC voltage can come in contact with any metallic component of trailer, and if there is a chance you can come in contact with that metallic component and ground (earth) there is possible potential for electrocution.... GFI may prevent you from dying...

Dale

Why is it that people only think about water when looking into GFCI's. They really could save your life or the life of someone who touches your trailer at the wrong time.

Even if you only use a drop cord to your camper, it should be GFCI with a built in breaker. They make them with multiple plugs.
“Forgiveness means giving up all hope for a better past.â€
Miriam C.
our Aunti M

Postby Dale M. » Tue Oct 24, 2006 10:57 pm

Because most "exposure" to GFI outlets for most people is kitchens or bathroom of conventional construction homes... Both rooms have a abundant supply of water....

Dale

Dale M.
2000 Club
2000 Club

Re: GFCI'S

Postby Chuck Craven » Thu Oct 26, 2006 7:29 pm

CHUCKLEHEAD69 wrote:IF U DONT HAVE WATER IN YOUR TRAILER IS IT REQUIRED FOR U TO HAVE GFCI'S, crap I'm not yelling sorry. don't most the campgrounds have gfci's at the pole. if it is required I'm thinking of gfci's breakers instead of outlets.thanks in advance

Your trailer is out side and it’s raining! Do you need a GFCI? YEP! :shock: :?

Chuck
Chuck a new td builder
Chuck Craven
500 Club

Return to Electrical Secrets