heater

General Discussion about almost anything Teardrop or camping related

heater

Postby Elumia » Sat Nov 11, 2006 1:12 am

saw this while looking around, I know others have been looking at heat sources. Obviously, needs to be properly vented. Seems that if you had your fresh incoming air coming from the galley area it might be somewhat warmer than an open window and then pop open the top to vent out exhaust.

http://www.vintagetrailersupply.com/Pro ... =VTS%2D350
Elumia
500 Club

Postby madjack » Sat Nov 11, 2006 1:20 am

...I liked the info on the 1sq in of vent per 1000 btus...now for a short story....at the recent LCG gathering, it went down to 38* one night...4x8 uninsulated tear(walls and floor)...my wife(aka the poor girl), myself and 2 chihuahuas...we had to leave windows and vent cracked or got too hot and stuffy...the only problem was when one of the dogs "stole" my covers and my bare butt ended up against that uninsulated ply wal...now that'll wake ya inna hurry :o :lol:
madjack 8)
...I have come to believe that, conflict resolution, through violence, is never acceptable.....................mj
madjack
Site Admin

Postby Elumia » Sat Nov 11, 2006 1:27 am

I don't disagree with you. Seems that a heater might be more for the folks who camp in the white stuff or in a TTT. I think the small volume of a TD lends itself to getting stuffy.

Just others were looking and I found somthing they might be interested in using. The site looked like it had a decent price as well. I googled the brand and found it considerably higher on some other sites.

Mark
Elumia
500 Club

Postby madjack » Sat Nov 11, 2006 2:05 am

wasn't knocking it Mark...looks like it would be a good heatsource for a TTT...being somewhat portable makes it handy as a spot heater as well........
madjack 8)
...I have come to believe that, conflict resolution, through violence, is never acceptable.....................mj
madjack
Site Admin

Postby Nobody » Sat Nov 11, 2006 11:46 am

I have one similar (Olympian Wave) in my "pop-up" cabover camper. It is very efficient & does a great job taking the 'chill off' on cool mornings, or even as a space heater when it's cold outside & I'm getting ready for bed. I just crack the roof vent & leave a small corner of the canvas "wall" unzipped at the opposite end of the camper. Provides plenty of ventilation but still stays cozy inside. Requires judicious selection of a mouting location tho, as the area directly in front of the heater still gets pretty warm even tho it's supposed to be below 'spark' temperature for flamable items. I plan to use my camper while deer hunting this week & the heater will probably be welcome since the front that came thru last nite sure cooled things down around here. Not winter yet but it's 'frosty' & I'm gettin' too old to enjoy 'roughing it' anymore :R .
Harvey -

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Doing the right thing ain't always easy but, . . . it's always right!
Nobody
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby halfdome, Danny » Sat Nov 11, 2006 1:35 pm

Nice heater but way too much heat for a tear. I ordered one of these and will let you know how it works. I think 100 watts is plenty enough for an insulated tear. :) Danny
ImageImage
"Conditions are never just right. People who delay action until all factors are favorable do nothing". William Feather
Don't accept "It's Good Enough" build to the best of your abilities.
Teardroppers Of Oregon & WashingtonImage
halfdome, Danny
*Happy Camper

Postby rasp » Sat Nov 11, 2006 1:49 pm

i picked up an electric 750/1500 watt heater, for my alite 400, for about 20 bucks at the local hardware. 750 watts is really all you would need.
i've never used the heater on the 1500 watt selection.
i keep the windows open a bit though not the roof vent.
Thinking is more interesting than knowing, but less interesting than looking
rasp
Teardrop Master

Postby parivercat » Sat Nov 11, 2006 2:59 pm

Here in western pa. last week went down to 35. I have a ceramic heater from Walmart It has low and high temp setting . I had it set 1/4 of the way on low. only ran a few minutes each hour kept us toasty but not over heated sleep with jogging pants sweat shirt and one blanket. :thumbsup:
2006 13ft. Escape Travel Trailer
2006 8ft. Homebuilt Teardrop
BIYALL and Happy Camping
parivercat
Teardrop Master

Postby dulcimerbob » Sat Nov 11, 2006 4:00 pm

I have a TTT and camped last week on a river bottom and the temp got down to around 27F . I had a walmart ceramic heater on hi and all the heat collected on the ceiling and the bed was icy. I guess a small fan at the ceiling might help . Any ideas?
dulcimerbob
Teardrop Advisor

Postby steve wolverton » Sat Nov 11, 2006 4:05 pm

Ok, so a 750 watt 110v heater pull about 7 amps right? w/v=a?
�veni, vidi, vici.�
steve wolverton
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby len19070 » Sat Nov 11, 2006 10:42 pm

I have this 800 BTU Coleman Survival heater.

But I've never needed it, even in the snow. I have minimal insulation and a good sleeping bag.

It does work great at getting rid of dampness.

Happy Trails

Len
:peace: :peace: :peace: :peace: :peace:
http://s26.photobucket.com/user/len1907 ... 20trailers

"If you do good things, good things will happen to you"..... Earl Hickey
len19070
3000 Club
3000 Club

Postby halfdome, Danny » Sat Nov 11, 2006 11:08 pm

len19070 wrote:I have this 800 BTU Coleman Survival heater.

But I've never needed it, even in the snow. I have minimal insulation and a good sleeping bag.

Happy Trails

Len

Len, Do you use that heater in that location? I would think it would super heat the ceiling and more. I use a Mr Heater to preheat the cabin when needed but I remove one of the mattress cushions and place it directly on the floor. Heat can radiate to surrounding furnishings etc and can be dangerous. :) Danny
ImageImage
"Conditions are never just right. People who delay action until all factors are favorable do nothing". William Feather
halfdome, Danny
*Happy Camper

Postby madjack » Sun Nov 12, 2006 3:49 am

halfdome, Danny wrote: Nice heater but way too much heat for a tear. I ordered one of these and will let you know how it works. I think 100 watts is plenty enough for an insulated tear. :) Danny

Danny, that looks to be an ideal sized heater for a tear...good find.... thanks for the link........... 8)
madjack
Site Admin

Postby len19070 » Sun Nov 12, 2006 5:50 am

halfdome, Danny wrote:
len19070 wrote:I have this 800 BTU Coleman Survival heater.

Happy Trails

Len

Len, Do you use that heater in that location? I would think it would super heat the ceiling and more. I use a Mr Heater to preheat the cabin when needed but I remove one of the mattress cushions and place it directly on the floor. Heat can radiate to surrounding furnishings etc and can be dangerous. :) Danny

Danny
I do use it there. I can pull it forward so that the heater face is outside of the cabinet and actually from there I have about 18-19 inches to the ceiling.

This is a very small heater, when its running, you can almost keep your hand on the burner.

I will never sleep with a heater on in the tear but a few minuets before bed and a few minuets before getting out from under the covers makes a big difference. But I really think its best use is for getting out the dampness.

But the best Lo-heat device I've ever used...and it has to be done using some comon sense is a Candle Lantern.

Happy Trails

Len
:peace: :peace: :peace: :peace: :peace:
http://s26.photobucket.com/user/len1907 ... 20trailers

"If you do good things, good things will happen to you"..... Earl Hickey
len19070
3000 Club
3000 Club

Postby halfdome, Danny » Sun Nov 12, 2006 12:20 pm

madjack wrote:
halfdome, Danny wrote: Nice heater but way too much heat for a tear. I ordered one of these and will let you know how it works. I think 100 watts is plenty enough for an insulated tear. :) Danny

Danny, that looks to be an ideal sized heater for a tear...good find.... thanks for the link........... 8)

Madjack, I used that link because it had a description of the heater this link is the cheapest I could find for it. :) Danny
ImageImage
halfdome, Danny
*Happy Camper

Next

Return to General Discussion