Epoxy in winter...

Anything to do with mechanical, construction etc

Epoxy in winter...

Postby kayakrguy » Thu Nov 16, 2006 9:20 pm

Folks,

We are about to have a cold spell descend and the rediculouly warm weather we have been having will come to an end. The difficulty with that is that I am hoping to epoxy the roof over the weekend,

I already know that cooling temps slows dry time with the epoxy.

I have read here somewhere that epoxy can be formulated to dry in cooler winter temperatures. How do I find such stuff? What are the limits in terms of temps at which it can be used?

My garage. with a space heater going can sustain 45-50 nite temps...maybe 50-60 daytime if the outdoor temps hit 50...

thanks!

Jim
A disposition to preserve, and an ability to improve, taken together, would be my standard of a statesman...

But what is liberty without wisdom, and without virtue? It is the greatest of all possible evils; for it is folly, vice, and madness, without tuition or restraint.

Edmund Burke
kayakrguy
Lifetime member

Re: Epoxy in winter...

Postby steve wolverton » Thu Nov 16, 2006 11:01 pm

kayakrguy wrote:I already know that cooling temps slows dry time with the epoxy.

I have read here somewhere that epoxy can be formulated to dry in cooler winter temperatures. How do I find such stuff? What are the limits in terms of temps at which it can be used?

My garage. with a space heater going can sustain 45-50 nite temps...maybe 50-60 daytime if the outdoor temps hit 50...

From RAKA.COM

COLD WEATHER HARDENER ( 425 )

This hardener mixes with all RAKA Resins at a mix ratio of
4:1 ( four parts Resin to one part hardener by volume ) this
hardener works well in cold weather and will cure down to
40 degrees F. . It has a pot life of approximately 12 minutes
at 77 degrees F. for a 3oz mass THIS hardener is NOT for
clear coating applications. Pricing is the same as the
RAKA 350 hardener.

:thumbsup:
�veni, vidi, vici.�
steve wolverton
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby doug hodder » Thu Nov 16, 2006 11:39 pm

Jim I don't know if it will effect your epoxy system, however with West System, high moisture (humidity) will cause the clear coating to turn cloudy. Long cure times and high moisture may cause an issue......something to think about...if you are going to paint, no problem...if you are wanting to finish it off "bright" ie a woody, it may be an issue...None of this may apply to your situation, but just be aware. I don't know how much moisture causes a problem. Just what the manual says. Doug
doug hodder
*Snoop Dougie Doug

Postby Miriam C. » Thu Nov 16, 2006 11:47 pm

:D Iknow this is going to be hard for some of the guys because it's like asking directions. But you can do it. :lol: :lol:

Try calling West Marine or Raka and ask what they reccomend for your area at this time of year. You might be supprised at how helpful they can be. If they are not helpful then you get to write an Ira quality story out of it.

Raka- 772.489.4070 or Email [email protected]

Just having fun ;)
“Forgiveness means giving up all hope for a better past.â€
Miriam C.
our Aunti M

Postby Arne » Fri Nov 17, 2006 8:14 am

Just a point of clarification. Epoxy hardens, or sets up, it does not dry (for people who have never used it). Rubbing alcohol will remove it from your hands, but latex gloves will keep it off them.

I agree, call the mfgr for input. I've contacted Rot Doc at least 10 times to get feedback for questions. With Epoxy, you really don't get a second chance, and you really don't want to have to redo it. A 10 minute phone call is worth the piece of mind to be sure you are doing it right.

I learned heat mattered when using some 30 minute epoxy on an airplane repair. I decided to use a heat gun to make it flow into a crack better. My 30 minute epoxy set up in about 40 seconds....

Also, one trick for using old epoxy is to heat it in a pan of warm water (I'm talking small plastic bottles). I decided to do it faster in a microwave.. it worked. My slightly stiffened epoxy (not mixed, just old) was back to it normal flow.... problem is, it also turned it into 5 minute epoxy..... somehow heating changed it's setup time even after it cooled.... epoxy can be tricky stuff...
www.freewebs.com/aero-1
---
I hope I never get too old to play (Arne, Sept 11, 2010)
Arne
Mr. Subject Line

Postby kayakrguy » Fri Nov 17, 2006 8:37 am

Thanks for saving my biscuits....errr....epoxy again, folks :applause:
And, Miriam, just for the record I have NEVER been lost--had to change direction, maybe, but never been lost! :roll:

Jim :eyebrows:
A disposition to preserve, and an ability to improve, taken together, would be my standard of a statesman...

But what is liberty without wisdom, and without virtue? It is the greatest of all possible evils; for it is folly, vice, and madness, without tuition or restraint.

Edmund Burke
kayakrguy
Lifetime member

Postby kayakrguy » Fri Nov 17, 2006 9:38 am

Hi folks,

I ordered the CPES cold weather stuff this morning. They were very helpful. I looked on the website and saw that the stuff can cure down to 18F...so that seemed pretty good bet for the next few weeks. On to the roof install today... :twisted:

Jim

Edmund Burke
kayakrguy
Lifetime member

Postby duke » Fri Nov 17, 2006 10:44 am

I have a Marvin quartz shop heater (warms objects, not the air) that hangs from the garage ceiling, $40 at HD. I epoxy coat or glue parts on the bench and leave them for a few hours with the heater set on low pointing at them. Sets up the epoxy very quickly. This allowed me to build most of a small sailing pram thru a very cold WI winter.

Vinegar !!!!!!!!! plain old white vinegar is great, cheap, and non toxic for cleaning up uncured epoxy resin off skin, workpiece, or tools.
There comes a time in every rightly constructed boy's life that he has a raging desire to go somewhere and dig for hidden treasure. - Mark Twain
Image.Image
duke
Teardrop Master

Postby kayakrguy » Fri Nov 17, 2006 1:25 pm

Marv,

Thank you for that recommendation...is the quartz heater like those 'heat lamps' sometimes used in bathrooms....reddish light...only warms person, not air...???

Is the heater safe to use with paint vapors etc??? your eyebrows and hair look ok, so I assume you have had no problems with it... :)

Jim

Edmund Burke
kayakrguy
Lifetime member

Postby RAYVILLIAN » Fri Nov 17, 2006 8:58 pm

Jim
I had to cure the epoxy on te winter warrior when it was cold. I used the low temp cure that Steve talked about and use 6 500 watt shop lights hung on conduit from the ceiling to raise the temp up so it would cure.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/21467781@N ... 380648169/

GAry
Last edited by RAYVILLIAN on Wed Dec 05, 2007 6:41 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Where ever we raise the hatch is home.
Darn blank states keep getting further away and we keep traveling slower ain't never gona get this map full.
111961Image
RAYVILLIAN
Lifetime member

Postby kayakrguy » Sat Nov 18, 2006 12:46 pm

Ray, thanks for the tip...

Did you use heat lamps, spot lights....?? Not sure I have ever seen a 500 watt bulb!! :thinking: The idea looks doable...

Jim

Edmund Burke
kayakrguy
Lifetime member

Postby asianflava » Sat Nov 18, 2006 3:38 pm

500W bulbs usually come in those yellow work lights that are mounted on tripods.
asianflava
8000 Club
8000 Club

Postby mikeschn » Sat Nov 18, 2006 5:00 pm

I am currently testing the idea of heating a teardrop with a 500W light....

As I start at 5PM, the temp in there is 39 degrees...

I'll check the temp again at 6pm.

Mike...
The quality is remembered long after the price is forgotten, so build your teardrop with the best materials...
mikeschn
Site Admin

Postby mikeschn » Sat Nov 18, 2006 5:33 pm

At 5:30PM the temp is 45 degrees.

Mike...
The quality is remembered long after the price is forgotten, so build your teardrop with the best materials...
mikeschn
Site Admin

Postby Classic Finn » Sat Nov 18, 2006 6:29 pm

I have a 500 watt Lamp similar to yours and it heats the tear up just fine and the lil garage at the same time...Im sure it would cure the epoxy well enough..

Classic Finn
Last edited by Classic Finn on Sat Nov 18, 2006 6:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Royal Teardrop Society Scandinavian Bureau Chief of Staff

Classic Finn
Midnight Sun Voyager
Midnight Sun Voyager

Next

Return to Teardrop Construction Tips & Techniques