Teardrop American Inc. - In Canada

This is the place where you can introduce yourself, and include a photo if so desired.

Teardrop American Inc. - In Canada

Postby Jotul40 » Thu Nov 16, 2006 9:45 am

Hi all... just new to the forum here. I "discovered" teardrops a few years back and have been obsessing over them ever since! I have two little kids (4 & 6) so not a lot of time for building... yet. My wife the kids and I do a lot of camping on our '73 Lionel tent trailer, but I'm interested in something smaller for some solo trips.... shhhhh, don't tell my wife.

Anyway, I recently came into possesion of an '89 Outbacker mad by American Teardrop Inc. I've already found a few postings and pics here so I'm excited because I haven't found anything anywhere else in my web searches. It needs a bunch of work and my plan is to fix it up and sell it... hopefully to finance a "home-built" project.

See the thing here.... http://ca.360.yahoo.com/jotul40
Jotul40
Teardrop Inspector

Fiberglass or plastic?

Postby Jotul40 » Thu Nov 16, 2006 9:58 am

can anyone tell me if this thing is fiberglass or plastic? It sure feels like plastic to me but I've seen a few posts which suggest it is fg.
Jotul40
Teardrop Inspector

Postby Nitetimes » Thu Nov 16, 2006 10:00 am

Those are commonly referred to as an egg trailer. There are mixed feelings on them.
Search around this site, I remember info being posted on them.

It's fiberglass.

Oh, welcome aboard the good ship lolli......... :lol: :lol:
Rich

ImageImage
-
The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to
keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves
against tyranny in government.
- Thomas Jefferson -
Personally, I carry a gun because I'm too young to die and too old to take a butt kickin'.
Nitetimes
7000 Club
7000 Club

Polyethylene

Postby Jotul40 » Fri Nov 17, 2006 10:28 am

Nitetimes wrote:Those are commonly referred to as an egg trailer. There are mixed feelings on them.
Search around this site, I remember info being posted on them.

It's fiberglass.

Oh, welcome aboard the good ship lolli......... :lol: :lol:

Well, I got my hands on a bad photocopy of the Outbacker brochure and I can confirm it is constructed of polyethylene. I can understand the "mixed feelings" on them. One thing I can say though... it sure attracts attention when driving around. I had people following me the day i brought it home, just to ask "What the hell is that?".

As I mentioned... once I've got it camp worthy, I'll probably sell it to finance a home-grown project.
Jotul40
Teardrop Inspector

Postby asianflava » Fri Nov 17, 2006 3:59 pm

That looks just like the one I saw in Wendover, NV a couple weeks ago.

asianflava
8000 Club
8000 Club

That is the beast!

Postby Jotul40 » Sun Nov 19, 2006 11:08 am

asianflava wrote:That looks just like the one I saw in Wendover, NV a couple weeks ago.

Take a close look at the wheels... you can see that if one of the springs went, how the wheel would rub through the Pod itself. That is one of things I need to repair.
Jotul40
Teardrop Inspector

Postby Ira » Sun Nov 19, 2006 7:05 pm

How did your wheel rub through the "pod," as you call it? Do you think it's a spring thing, or is it possible that the damage was caused by rocks kicking up at it?

Also, when Rocky posted that photo of his a week or two ago, I was real curius about the galley. Maybe I missed it, but i didn't see any galley or interior shots on your link/blog.

Would love to see them.
Here we go again!
Ira
Forum Storyteller

Postby asianflava » Sun Nov 19, 2006 7:21 pm

It's just a very basic galley, a sink and a stove.

Here's one that's for sale
http://losangeles.craigslist.org/lgb/rvs/233978509.html

Some good pics
http://tnttt.com/viewtopic.php?p=69769
asianflava
8000 Club
8000 Club

Re: Teardrop American Inc. - In Canada

Postby mikeschn » Sun Nov 19, 2006 7:27 pm

Hi Jotul,

Welcome to the forum.

Once you get past the Egg... the fun will really start. What are you thinking about for your home-built project?

Mike...

Jotul40 wrote: my plan is to fix it up and sell it... hopefully to finance a "home-built" project.
The quality is remembered long after the price is forgotten, so build your teardrop with the best materials...
mikeschn
Site Admin

Re: Teardrop American Inc. - In Canada

Postby Jotul40 » Mon Nov 20, 2006 12:57 pm

[quote="mikeschn"]Hi Jotul,

Welcome to the forum.

Once you get past the Egg... the fun will really start. What are you thinking about for your home-built project? quote]

Well, I'm not a 100% sure yet. I purchased a set of plans a couple of years back from Desert Teardrops. Seemed like a good investment at the time, but there sure is A LOT more information here. I'm not knock'in their plans, but I'm amazed this website is free to use. I'm sure I'll be making a donation soon though!

I have a few plan ideas of my own. I really love the idea of a cedar strip/fiberglass shell... and have noticed a couple on the site here. I also have some ideas for a heavy-duty, off-road version... maybe with some JEEP styling.

I think I mentioned I have a couple of kids (ages 4 & 6) that take up most of my time... along with an old house that always needs "something" and I work full-time. :lol: Not sure when I'll start but once my wife gets a teaching position somewhere, maybe I'll "accidentally" get laid-off for 6-12 months!
Jotul40
Teardrop Inspector

Postby Ira » Mon Nov 20, 2006 6:58 pm

asianflava wrote:It's just a very basic galley, a sink and a stove.

Here's one that's for sale
http://losangeles.craigslist.org/lgb/rvs/233978509.html

Some good pics
http://tnttt.com/viewtopic.php?p=69769

Rocky...

The first link came up that it couldn't locate the server. And the second just showed those blue question mark boxes where the images should have been, as if they were removed from someone's album or the member was removed.

I'll survive, but still curious.
Here we go again!
Ira
Forum Storyteller

Postby asianflava » Mon Nov 20, 2006 8:06 pm

Don't know what to tell ya Ira. I just checked and they worked for me. The pictures are at the bottom of the thread, the one I linked to. Gage has some pics there that come up as X's for me but the other pics are there.
asianflava
8000 Club
8000 Club

Postby Jotul40 » Tue Nov 21, 2006 9:53 am

The first link came up that it couldn't locate the server. And the second just showed those blue question mark boxes where the images should have been, as if they were removed from someone's album or the member was removed.

I'll survive, but still curious.

Hey Ira... just posted a galley pic in my album. The pic isn't from my trailer... just one of the other ones I've found.
Jotul40
Teardrop Inspector

Postby asianflava » Tue Nov 21, 2006 3:54 pm

The first link shows a Teardrop American in primer. The guy is selling it for $1000.

Heres the ad:
Teardrop Trailer - $1000

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Reply to: [email protected]
Date: 2006-11-12, 7:40PM PST

1989 Teardrop Trailer for Sale made by Teardrop American, Inc. Made of heavy duty plastic, very light, but very sturdy. Each side doors opens upward and contain a small sliding window. Interior has space for a queen size mattress and will sleep 2 people, with plenty room left for storage. Rear hatch contains a hand pump sink and an ice chest. Ice chest lid is a sturdy cutting board for preparing food on. Tires are about 2 year old with very low miles on them. Comes with a spare tire and wheel. $1000 OBO. Buyer is responsible for picking up and transporting trailer. Email me or for speedier response call Jeffrey at 562-805-1969

These are the pics in the second link.
I copied the pics and saved them to my server.

asianflava
8000 Club
8000 Club

Return to Newbies, Introduce yourselves