Severe weather plans

General Discussion about almost anything Teardrop or camping related

Severe weather plans

Postby WarPony » Wed Dec 29, 2004 11:30 pm

I was thinking about what you guys/gals would do if some stiff weather were to come about. I've canoed on remote rivers in MO, KS, OK and NE, always tent camped and have been caught in some rather unexpected wind and lightning events and came out pretty good, for the most part. Mind you, that I live in Kansas so wind is a part of my life........
Has any of the Tornado Alley 'droppers thought about how to guy wire their tears down in a "GOOD" thunderstorm? I've seen big motorhomes and tent campers get "Maytaged" from a sudden windstorm. I think some welded guy points on each corner of our tears and some heavy duty stakes might be some cheap insurance for us.
Remember.... if you get rolled around a couple of times in the middle of the night and end up in the water, which way is up???? Even if you don't stay by the water, it'll still hurt.
ImageImage

Still a million dollars away from being a millionaire!!
WarPony
Donating Member

Postby beverlyt » Thu Dec 30, 2004 6:29 am

From the experience of living through a very bad wind storm, I would hook the tear up to the car for some added weight and get the heck away from any large trees that might come crashing down.

After seeing wind uproot huge oaks, (and having one land in our living room).... " Oh, hello Mr. Tree"....we don't have one single large tree by the house anymore.

beverlyt
500 Club

Postby Arne » Thu Dec 30, 2004 9:26 am

We were just outside of Memphis and started hearing tornado warnings on our weather radio. Checked it out with the campground owner and he said they were north of us.... not here in Crittendon County.... Later that night, in the middle of a huge thunder, lightning and driving rain storm, the weather radio said there were tornado warnings in.... Crittendon County.

I had unhooked the tear to drive to supper and had not reattached it to the car. The rain was so brutal I wasn't going to get out and put it back on the car....

One person was killed by the tornado, our campground was 1/2 submerged, but with the wheels blocked on the tear, we rode it out without a leak...

Next time, I will reattach the tear to the car.. it would have been better especially if someone had started beating on the side during the night telling us to evac....

Inspite of the strong winds, the tear was pretty stable. From most directions, the rounded shape would help move the wind over the curved sides.... Since ours is widened and has a small wind shadow even on the side, I expect it would do well until the winds got very high... (like in a tornado)..
www.freewebs.com/aero-1
---
I hope I never get too old to play (Arne, Sept 11, 2010)
Arne
Mr. Subject Line

Postby Ranger Rod » Thu Dec 30, 2004 9:34 am

beverlyt wrote: I would hook the tear up to the car for some added weight and get the heck away from any large trees that might come crashing down.

That is exactly what I did with my boat during Hurricane Ivan which devastated our area. It weathered fine. Bev is right about the trees we lost quite a few during the storm. My boat hooked to the pickup fared quite well with no damage. You could even go a little farther and stake it down with some rope and railroad spikes.
Ranger Rod
Teardrop Advisor

Postby asianflava » Thu Dec 30, 2004 2:47 pm

Growing up in FL I have been thru a few hurricanes. When we moved to the Raleigh area of NC we had a hurricane come thru, we were much further inland so I figured that it was no big deal. I saw more hurricane damage from storm than any of the other storms in FL. It was mainly due to the trees, they fell onto cars, houses, powerlines, etc. The trees are much larger so there was much more debris and damage. Not to mention, there are more trees in NC.
asianflava
8000 Club
8000 Club

Postby Jiminsav » Thu Dec 30, 2004 5:26 pm

Remember.... if you get rolled around a couple of times in the middle of the night and end up in the water, which way is up???? Even if you don't stay by the water, it'll still hurt.

why, frankly Scarlett, thats rather easy..up is where the bubbles are going.. :thinking:
Jim in Savannah
If you can read this bumper sticker, my camper fell off.
Jiminsav
3000 Club
3000 Club

Return to General Discussion