Router bits--explain sizes???

General Discussion about almost anything Teardrop or camping related

Router bits--explain sizes???

Postby kayakrguy » Wed Dec 13, 2006 8:21 am

Folks,

Looking at the possibility of 'rounding' the wall-roof line with a round-over routing blade. My question about round over bits is this...

If one is described as a 1/8" does that mean it takes 1/8 inch on both sides of a right angle and a 1/4" takes off 1/4' of of both sides?

OR

does 1/8" mean the bit takes 1/16" off each side giving a TOTAL of 1/8"
and 1/4" means the bit takes 1/8 " off of each side giving a TOTAL of 1/4"

If someone could clear that up for me, I would be grateful...

Jim
A disposition to preserve, and an ability to improve, taken together, would be my standard of a statesman...

But what is liberty without wisdom, and without virtue? It is the greatest of all possible evils; for it is folly, vice, and madness, without tuition or restraint.

Edmund Burke
kayakrguy
Lifetime member

Re: Router bits--explain sizes???

Postby Podunkfla » Wed Dec 13, 2006 8:36 am

kayakrguy wrote:Folks,

Looking at the possibility of 'rounding' the wall-roof line with a round-over routing blade. My question about round over bits is this...

If one is described as a 1/8" does that mean it takes 1/8 inch on both sides of a right angle and a 1/4" takes off 1/4' of of both sides?

OR

does 1/8" mean the bit takes 1/16" off each side giving a TOTAL of 1/8"
and 1/4" means the bit takes 1/8 " off of each side giving a TOTAL of 1/4"

If someone could clear that up for me, I would be grateful...

Jim

Hi Jim... No, the sizs is the radius of a circle the size that would fit the arc of the bit. For example, a 3/4" roundover bit will nicely roundover a 3/4 inch thick piece of wood; where as a 1/4" bit would only roundover the first 1/4 inch of thickness in both directions. Something like a 1/2" roundover would prolly look nice on your tear's roof edge and still leave you a good seal... at least from my point of view. You could start with a small bit and work your way up through the sizes? I'd play with a sample some first anyway if it was my first go at doing this... Then you could see what you like. A 3/4" roundover would not be too much either... me thinks. Best of luck... :thumbsup:

friend ~ Brick
<B>~ Brick
<I>... I've done so much with so little for so long... Now I can do almost anything with nothing! </I></B>
Image...Lots more pix here!
Podunkfla
ol' noodle haid

Postby kayakrguy » Wed Dec 13, 2006 1:31 pm

Brick, it is the first time doing this for me....so if I go that route, I will practice! I really don't want to mess of the roof seam!! :thinking:

Thanks for claifying the matter of router bit sizes for me...

Jim
A disposition to preserve, and an ability to improve, taken together, would be my standard of a statesman...

But what is liberty without wisdom, and without virtue? It is the greatest of all possible evils; for it is folly, vice, and madness, without tuition or restraint.

Edmund Burke
kayakrguy
Lifetime member

Postby Tripmaker » Thu Dec 14, 2006 6:14 pm

Jim - now all you need to do is go out and buy a full selection of bits. Make sure you get every size and profile available so you can try them all. At $20 to $40 each it shouldn't set you back too much. Don't you just hate a wise a@@. I bought a small "kit" at a big box store that has done most everything I needed to do. Only had to buy one extra for $17.

Brick, actually I appreciate the advice as well. This TD project is the first time I have used a router. Don't know what I would have done without it.
Jim

I started with nothing and still have most of it left.
Tripmaker
500 Club

Postby doug hodder » Thu Dec 14, 2006 9:39 pm

Jim...I'd also spend the money and get the carbide bits over the High Speed Steel ones (HSS) Both can be sharpened, but you'll get lots more life out of the carbide ones, however HSS bits are harder and harder to find anymore. I think Craftsman still has a line of them however. You'll still be cutting with the carbide when the HSS is smoking on the wood.... Doug
doug hodder
*Snoop Dougie Doug

Postby kayakrguy » Fri Dec 15, 2006 4:51 pm

Doug, Brick, Jim,

Thanks for the information and advice. I borrowed my son's old Ryobi router to do the roof line...he got a new porter-cable plunge router <g>
Still a little :shock: ed by the $$$ of the bits, but I agree, if you are going to do woodworking on a regular basis, then the better bits are the way to go...

Jim

Edmund Burke
kayakrguy
Lifetime member

Postby Podunkfla » Sat Dec 16, 2006 12:56 am

kayakrguy wrote:Doug, Brick, Jim,

Thanks for the information and advice. I borrowed my son's old Ryobi router to do the roof line...he got a new porter-cable plunge router <g>
Still a little :shock: ed by the $$$ of the bits, but I agree, if you are going to do woodworking on a regular basis, then the better bits are the way to go...

Jim

Jim... A good source of medium priced router bits is:
http://www.woodline.com/

I have and use a bunch of their bits. In my experience they are every bit as good as Amana & DMT and some others that cost more. They are imported, but their quality control seem very good.

GrizzlyIndustrial.com also has some good imported bits at the medium price level. Got a few of them yucky green ones too.

Whiteside makes the best router bits I have ever used and the highest rated by Fine Woodworking Mags tests. Damn fine bits! with a price to match. I do have a few of them too for bits I use a lot.

I also have some of the yellow cheapies I bought on ebay... 'cause I could get a whole set of bits for the price of one Whiteside bit!

As you have found out... The worst place to buy router bits is the big box stores... OUCH! :shock:
<B>~ Brick
<I>... I've done so much with so little for so long... Now I can do almost anything with nothing! </I></B>
Image...Lots more pix here!
Podunkfla
ol' noodle haid

Postby doug hodder » Sat Dec 16, 2006 1:08 am

Brick's right...best buy on router bits I've found is when the Woodworking show is in town...Whitesides are great and at a show like that you can really get some deals, they'll have every imaginable router bit....That's when I load up on sanding disks, belts, glue brushes etc...consumable stuff. In a pinch today...went to HD...got a 1/8" roundover bit, loaned mine out and never saw it again...28$ to replace it. Doug
doug hodder
*Snoop Dougie Doug

Postby rbeemer » Sat Dec 16, 2006 2:25 am

Try this place for router bits they only carry whitside and if you are on their e-club right now you can get 1/4 " round 1/2" shank for $18.80

http://www.woodpeck.com/whitesideroundover.html
Rick

If ducks had scales, would fish quack?
rbeemer
500 Club

Postby mikeschn » Sat Dec 16, 2006 6:28 am

I don't need many router bits, but I buy mine here. Excellent prices on carbide bits...

http://mlcswoodworking.com/

Mike...
The quality is remembered long after the price is forgotten, so build your teardrop with the best materials...
mikeschn
Site Admin

Return to General Discussion