MY DC power panel

Anything electric, AC or DC

MY DC power panel

Postby Chuck Craven » Wed Dec 06, 2006 9:07 pm

This is my DC power panel. Took a little longer than expected to get it done.

Chuck
Chuck a new td builder
Chuck Craven
500 Club

Postby Juneaudave » Wed Dec 06, 2006 9:21 pm

Sick!!! I want one! 8)
Juneaudave
Super Duper Lifetime Member

Postby Chuck Craven » Wed Dec 06, 2006 9:33 pm

Well some day next year when I retire. I will work on making a version for sale.
My next project this winter is to rebuild my CNC mill. I took it completely apart after it messed up three of the four panels I cutout. It was built as a project to see if it was worth buying a real mill for a small machine shop. After the owner saw how to make one work he bought a 6’ beam mill and went in to CNC prototype business. Now he charges way two much to have parts made for me! :o

Chuck
Chuck a new td builder
Chuck Craven
500 Club

Postby Chuck Craven » Wed Dec 06, 2006 9:59 pm

I will be on vacation until Jan 2 so if any one wants to ask any questions go a head, but it won't be until I get back from vacation before I can assure them. :frustrated:

Chuck
Chuck a new td builder
Chuck Craven
500 Club

Postby Dee Bee » Thu Dec 07, 2006 11:24 am

Very nice

There realy is a level of satisfaction that comes with building it yourself!

Way to go..

Dee Bee
Grace happens...
Dee Bee
500 Club

My DC power panel

Postby Toolie » Sun Dec 10, 2006 11:34 am

Chuck,
That is fantastic! I love it! :thumbsup:

I do have a question or two about the AC panel.
The test indicator plug - is it just to check continuity while you're installing the circuits, periodic use or do you suggest keeping the indicator plugged in when the system is in use?
If we use your design, do you suggest installing the panels in a shallow electrical or hobby box? Did you size it for that type of installation?

Great job Chuck! :applause:
Toolie
Slowest Teardrop Builder WANNABE

Re: My DC power panel

Postby Chuck Craven » Tue Jan 09, 2007 5:35 pm

Toolie wrote:Chuck,
That is fantastic! I love it! :thumbsup:

I do have a question or two about the AC panel.
The test indicator plug - is it just to check continuity while you're installing the circuits, periodic use or do you suggest keeping the indicator plugged in when the system is in use?
If we use your design, do you suggest installing the panels in a shallow electrical or hobby box? Did you size it for that type of installation?

Great job Chuck! :applause:

The test indicator plug is just a normal single outlet. I put it in the panel so I will be able to find it when connecting up to a campgrounds power pole. If it bothers me when sleeping I will pull it out and set it on a shelf above the panels.
As for a electrical box! No I am just going to screw it to the face frame of the front cabinet. I don’t think a metal box will do any thing other than make it more difficult to wire. The front cabinet will have two compartments the lower one will be for the AC panel. AC wiring will be in plastic conduct in the floor pan. The DC panel will be in a compartment above the AC panel. The two compartments will be mostly closed to each other. The DC wiring will go up the center and over the inside top of the tear to the rear bulkhead cabinet witch will have the radio/cd entertainment stuff. There will be no TV or that stuff as I go camping to get a way from that. :)

Chuck
Chuck a new td builder
Chuck Craven
500 Club

Postby Toolie » Tue Jan 09, 2007 9:02 pm

Thanks for the info Chuck. Your setup is much better than what I bought.

I started out looking for a waterproof outlet (most said water resistant). I found a local dealer for Kussmaul electrical products - they make stuff for emergency vehicles - and figured I couldn't go wrong. Ninety bucks later I had 90 ft. of wire and what appears to be a medium grade, plastic exterior receptacle and cover. I had expected it to be metal.

It was special order so I'm gonna use it but your setup picks up where this deal leaves off. Thanks Chuck!
Toolie
Slowest Teardrop Builder WANNABE

Return to Electrical Secrets