Hatch Construction?

Anything to do with mechanical, construction etc

Hatch Construction?

Postby SteveH » Thu Jan 13, 2005 8:17 am

I need help.....I'm about to start construction of the hatch for my tear and have had a wrench thrown in my plans, so to speak.

I had planned to build it with a doubled 3/4" ply side frame with 1X's across, covered with 1/4" ply, covered with aluminum. Well, I was talking with a fellow that sells parts yesterday and he advised me to make it lighter by loosing the 1/4" ply, not to double the 3/4" sides, put 4 single 3/4" spines in it and then just cover that with aluminum.

So, what's everyone's opinion that has experience with building and fitting a hatch?

Appreciate your inputs.
SteveH
Calling an illegal alien an "undocumented immigrant"is like calling a drug dealer an "unlicensed pharmacist ".
SteveH
2000 Club
2000 Club

Postby mikeschn » Thu Jan 13, 2005 8:34 am

I build mine with double outside walls, and 1 by's as you can see in this photo. I didn't have any problem the hatch changing shape on me when I applied the skin. (That's a biggie that you want to try to avoid.) Is it heavy? I don't have a clue. I use them shock thingies that open the hatch for me. And I would do it again the same way.

If you want to see the hatch construction, check out this page...
http://www.mikenchell.com/live/04_18_2004/index.html

Be sure to check out all 6 index pages! ;)

Mike...
The quality is remembered long after the price is forgotten, so build your teardrop with the best materials...
mikeschn
Site Admin

Postby SteveH » Thu Jan 13, 2005 10:07 am

Mike,

Thanks, what you have built is about what I had in mind. One question, did you sheet the hatch with anything besides aluminum? Guess that is my main question as the gentleman I was talking with told me specifically not to sheet it with the plywood, just the aluminum.
SteveH
Calling an illegal alien an "undocumented immigrant"is like calling a drug dealer an "unlicensed pharmacist ".
SteveH
2000 Club
2000 Club

Postby Chip » Thu Jan 13, 2005 10:48 am

Steve,,here is 2 cents more,, first I would put more vertical ribs than horizontal ribs in the hatch,,just a bit more stable by my way of thinking,
as far as covering the ribs use 1/8" or 1/4" masonite for a sub base under the metal,,it does not have the memory that plywood has and may work a bit easier,,then put ya metal on top of that,,interior I would just put the metal straight to the ribs,,,,again this is 2 cents worth and take it as that,,,

I used 1/8" masonite and then outer covering,,and it has worked out good so far,,interior left exposed,,

Chip
Living large,,,travling small !!!
54"x9'4" tear
4'x8' tear
Serro Scotty rebuild(in progress)
Chip
2000 Club
2000 Club

Postby Woody » Thu Jan 13, 2005 10:56 am

if you use a substrate to back up the aluminun it will prevent the metal from defroming and help minimize denting and some of the twisting that happens using (opening and closing) the hatch by making it more ridgid. It also will be easier to make it weather tight being alittle more stiff. Just my thoughts
Woody
The Tear Jerker's, Florida Chapter Director
E-mail: [email protected]
Tear jerker chapter site http://www.tearjerkers.net/forums/
Check the SE section for gathering information
Tear Jerkers new site http://www.tearjerkers.net/forums/
Enjoying life in 12 ounce increments is what it's about
Woody
2000 Club
2000 Club

Postby mikeschn » Thu Jan 13, 2005 11:32 am

Steve,

I sheeted it with 1/8" luan, and painted it. The Baja Benroy is not an aluminum teardrop!!!

Mike...

SteveH wrote:Mike,

Thanks, what you have built is about what I had in mind. One question, did you sheet the hatch with anything besides aluminum? Guess that is my main question as the gentleman I was talking with told me specifically not to sheet it with the plywood, just the aluminum.
The quality is remembered long after the price is forgotten, so build your teardrop with the best materials...
mikeschn
Site Admin

Postby SteveH » Thu Jan 13, 2005 1:46 pm

Thanks everyone. I believe I'll go with my original plan and use the plywood that I already have. It bends very easily being that it is cross grain on my 5' wide tear.

The same gentleman told me that my 3/4" sides and 2X2" bows were way overkill, and that tears should be built with screws only, no glue. :roll:
SteveH
SteveH
2000 Club
2000 Club

Postby roger-c » Fri Jan 14, 2005 1:33 am

Build the hatch first and then build the tear to fit the hatch. That's what I did and it worked well so far. ;)

roger-c
Don�t force it use a bigger hammer!
roger-c
Teardrop Advisor

Postby SteveH » Fri Jan 14, 2005 7:51 am

Build the hatch first and then build the tear to fit the hatch.

Roger,

I'm afraid it's a little too late for that! The only thing left for me to "build" is the hatch. :)
SteveH
SteveH
2000 Club
2000 Club

Postby Arne » Fri Jan 14, 2005 10:05 am

I like Steve F's hatch. Build it in place, cut it out, and put a doubler on the inside. Ir has a seal, but I think the real genius is the doubler keeps any leakage out and gives it a way to drain out the back.... very smooth.
www.freewebs.com/aero-1
---
I hope I never get too old to play (Arne, Sept 11, 2010)
Arne
Mr. Subject Line

Return to Teardrop Construction Tips & Techniques