Hello from Pittsburgh PA

This is the place where you can introduce yourself, and include a photo if so desired.

Hello from Pittsburgh PA

Postby sdscheib_76 » Wed Jan 10, 2007 9:02 pm

Hi everyone!

My name is Scott. Been checking out this sight for a while and I am finally ready to build a TEAR! I am going to try to fit 2 adults and 2 kids in a 5' x 8' x 4' Tear with a lifting roof so you can stand in it. Inside I want to make 2 bunks stacked on top of each other the width(5') of the trailer for the kids. My wife and I will lay on the floor the lenth (8') with our feet under the bottom bunk. In the back I will make a small hatch for a little galley. Well I am starting to design so any good advice will be greatly appreciated. Also, I realy don't have a lot of money so any cost saveing tips will be great to. I decided to do this because I can't afford to go on vacations every year and my wife won't sleep in a tent. So.............I figure if my build is a sucess, we can enjoy the great out doors wich I love and can't wait to share with my daughter who is 10mo's old duaghter and my step son who is 10yrs old. Well can't wait to start so off to the drawing board.
:twisted:

My tip to everyone.
DREAMS IS WHAT MAKES LIFE TOLLERABLE!!!!!

Thanks!
:thumbsup:
:thumbsup: :thumbsup:
sdscheib_76
Teardrop Inspector

Postby Miriam C. » Wed Jan 10, 2007 10:13 pm

Welcome Sdscheib_76
Boy that is hard to remember long enough to spell. :lol:

Here is EZ's galley pictures. There are some good ideas in it.

http://www.mikenchell.com/forums/album_personal.php?user_id=2202

My first suggestion is you will need 6 feet in height to get 2 bunks and your feet comfortably in the same space. I think most usually allow 18 inches for feet. 8)

I am sure some of the others who have built with children in mind will chime in. We have a thing around here for :pictures: so post lots.
“Forgiveness means giving up all hope for a better past.â€
Miriam C.
our Aunti M

Postby jmtk » Wed Jan 10, 2007 10:35 pm

Welcome to the forum, sds76!

Miriam beat me to recommending EZ's build. He did a very nice job of accommodating 2 kids and 2 adults in his trailer, and he also did it on a tight budget.

Here's what I made for my 6-year-old son. My trailer is 5'x8' and 4' high. I sacrificed the usual interior cabinetry to make room for his bunk. He loves having his own special sleeping place. Of course, he also loves diving off of the bunk onto my husband and me :o

Have fun!

Jeanette
jmtk
Donating Member

Postby madjack » Wed Jan 10, 2007 11:36 pm

Welcome to the board SD...EZ's build is definitely one to look at as is Jeanette's...don't forget the pics as you build 'cause we really luv 'em....by the way...were you ever in the auto paint business :D :lol: ;)
madjack 8)
...I have come to believe that, conflict resolution, through violence, is never acceptable.....................mj
madjack
Site Admin

Postby rbeemer » Wed Jan 10, 2007 11:45 pm

sdscheib_76,

You might consider 1 bunk and a side tent for the 10 yr old, with the side tent you would not have to add the removable roof tent becomes dressing room and your step son might like a whole tent to himself. this way you may be also to add some more storage or have the a little bigger galley. You could also add a decent size tongue box that would give you inside and outside storage
Rick

If ducks had scales, would fish quack?
rbeemer
500 Club

Postby Kens » Thu Jan 11, 2007 2:29 pm

Welcome SD Great one more for Pennsylvania You found the right place lots of help here. Start with the plans at the top of the page and change the way you need to. Thats where mine started. KENS got a name?
Good day every day!
Kens
500 Club

Postby sdscheib_76 » Thu Jan 11, 2007 10:34 pm

:roll: Geeeeeeeee Mad Jack....................If I only had a dollar for every time I was asked that! No I'm not related either so I can't paint a car for $99.95.
:R :lol: :lol: :lol:

Thanks for all the great info too!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

[/b]
sdscheib_76
Teardrop Inspector

Return to Newbies, Introduce yourselves