Paint.

General Discussion about almost anything Teardrop or camping related

Paint.

Postby Dooner » Fri Jan 12, 2007 12:42 am

I stumbled onto this place that has paint that sounds great. I know you can't always believe everything you read, but you be the judge.

In the house paints, there is a clear that has a double money back guarantee.

In the marine paints, there is an aluminum paint that is said to reduce temps by 20 degrees.

Check it out for yourself.

http://www.topsecretcoatings.com/
Dooner.
Image Image

TED NUGENT FOR PRESIDENT!
Dooner
Gold Donating Member

Postby doug hodder » Fri Jan 12, 2007 1:23 am

Good find Dooner...as a person that has painted a lot of vehicles and boats, just speaking for me...I'd be reluctant to buy product off the internet...While I'm sure it's fine...I'd much rather buy my materials from a local supplier, so if I have any issue, he's right there to help me out. I wouldn't want to kill a bunch of time waiting for an e-mail back on a reducing question, or a spray issue. A good local supplier with a full line of compatable products in the long run may cost more $$ but the help and service I feel make up for it. I'm only speaking on auto finishes now...but there are so many different additives/ sealers, adhesion agents out there anymore that a local person in my opinion is the way to go...besides, if you get in tight with them...they will give you all sorts of extras, if you ask for them...and, it supports the local businesses...just my opinion...doug
doug hodder
*Snoop Dougie Doug

Postby Podunkfla » Fri Jan 12, 2007 2:35 am

Doug... Yessir! I couldn't agree with you more. Find a good supplier and work with them a while. They will often give you trade prices on top grade materials... And, you can learn a ton from them.

Having said that... Here is an incredible supplier that can save you a ton of money on some fine quality products. They consistantly beat my local paint suppliers by 50% even with the shipping! I prolly get 90% of my supplies from these guys.

(Trade secret here): http://www.smartshoppersinc.com/

Kirker Acrylic Urethane prices for example:
http://www.smartshoppersinc.com/Kirker/ ... hanes.html
<B>~ Brick
<I>... I've done so much with so little for so long... Now I can do almost anything with nothing! </I></B>
Image...Lots more pix here!
Podunkfla
ol' noodle haid

Postby madjack » Fri Jan 12, 2007 2:48 am

Really good prices on that site Brick...thanks for the link.............................. 8)
...I have come to believe that, conflict resolution, through violence, is never acceptable.....................mj
madjack
Site Admin

Postby seahorse » Fri Jan 12, 2007 9:02 am

And here's another. http://www.paintforcars.com/acrylic_enamel_paint.html I sprayed teardrop, (silver metalic) and it came out great! Can't beat the price........Rob
Last edited by seahorse on Fri Jan 12, 2007 12:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
seahorse
Donating Member

Postby Arne » Fri Jan 12, 2007 9:51 am

I plan on using cpes as a sealer, then some type of primer and paint.

I'd like to hear from more experienced persons what type of easy applications can be done with roller and still get an acceptable finish.. by acceptable, I mean 90%, not 50%, compared with spraying... I can spray, but prefer not to... would rather roll and tip. I did a kayak using a marine paint that way and it came out very well. Anyway, would like some feedback. Thank you.....

Something like: http://tinyurl.com/y7gx3p
www.freewebs.com/aero-1
---
I hope I never get too old to play (Arne, Sept 11, 2010)
Arne
Mr. Subject Line

Postby Dooner » Fri Jan 12, 2007 11:37 am

Hey Guys,
I like the idea of using someone local as long as it a reputable business. I'm running into so many salespeople that don't know their @$$ from a hole in their head. Example: Went to Radio Shack (R-A-D-I-O Shack) needing a part for a R-A-D-I-O project. I needed very small male and female plugs to splice a set of six wires. Six salespeople at the counter said "No got. You'll have to go to a local stereo dealer." I said thank you for the help and looked around at other things, when I ran across the parts I needed. Took it up to the counter to purchase, and each one still acted as if they were still right.
But local is better as you say.
I was mainly looking at the quality they are advertising. Hard shell finish, just about never have to paint again, and the aluminum paint does not need primer. The aluminum paint dropping temps by 20 degrees would be great for a teardrop roof in Texas.

Another story for your opinion.
I did a cheapo project a few years back. I made a large free standing draw for under a bed. Just used for toys. I bought cheap plywood, 1/2 inch I think it was. I painted it with some restolium gloss black paint that I already had. No primer. I painted it outside in the sun. I painted a coat and waited till it got a little dryer than tacky and painted another coat. Did four coats. Turned out great.
After some use and deciding it wasn't needed anymore, I set it outside in the weather till I had I chance to get rid of it. About a month and a half of sun and rain, It never ruined. Still looked as good as the first day.
Just want some opinions on the rustolium. I don't know if I would want to risk my future teardrop on it, but wonder if it would hold up.
Dooner.
Image Image

TED NUGENT FOR PRESIDENT!
Dooner
Gold Donating Member

Postby Podunkfla » Fri Jan 12, 2007 11:56 am

Belive it or not... I've see restored cars painted with Rustolium... with a roller! They had to block sand it between coats and buff out the final coat. But the end result was as good as a pro paint job... Just a lot of work to do. If money is tight, It's hard to beat a $29. paint job that looks like these.

Here's a couple of them:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v246/ ... paint2.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v246/ ... intjob.jpg

Would I do this? No way do I want to work that hard. But, it is darn good paint. It just takes forever to dry.
<B>~ Brick
<I>... I've done so much with so little for so long... Now I can do almost anything with nothing! </I></B>
Podunkfla
ol' noodle haid

Postby imstriker » Fri Jan 12, 2007 12:27 pm

Off topic, but great thread. I was debating using paintforcars to paint my Mustang this summer. It's nice to hear someone mention success with them...
imstriker
Teardrop Builder

Postby Nitetimes » Fri Jan 12, 2007 2:09 pm

Podunkfla wrote:Image

Would I do this? No way do I want to work that hard. But, it is darn good paint. It just takes forever to dry.

That is a lot of work but they do look good!! I'll stick to my spray guns. Way too much work for me.

The one thing that always turned me away from Rustoleum was the drying time, I've had that stuff sit for days before it started to harden up good. It's pretty good paint but I haven't used it in years because of the drying time.

Brick How do you like that Kirker paint? I've seen the name, never tried it. Not sure if anyone around here carries it. I usually stick with Valspar, I get it at pretty good prices from my supplier and it's fairly easy to work with. Plus their House Of Kolors line has some really nice stuff. Not the cheapest but I've had good luck with it.

Rich

ImageImage
-
The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to
keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves
against tyranny in government.
- Thomas Jefferson -
Personally, I carry a gun because I'm too young to die and too old to take a butt kickin'.
Nitetimes
7000 Club
7000 Club

Postby Podunkfla » Fri Jan 12, 2007 11:52 pm

Brick How do you like that Kirker paint? I've seen the name, never tried it. Not sure if anyone around here carries it. I usually stick with Valspar, I get it at pretty good prices from my supplier and it's fairly easy to work with. Plus their House Of Kolors line has some really nice stuff. Not the cheapest but I've had good luck with it.

I find Kirker urethanes as good as any other top line auto paint I've ever used. :thumbsup:
HOK is wonderful stuff... but, OUCH what a price they want for that stuff! Even small quantities to paint a motorcycle can cost hundreds of dollars. I have a friend who spent well over 20 grand having his 59 Chevy painted with HOK flip-flop green/purple... It looks great; but, that's not a $100,000. car... whew! :?
<B>~ Brick
Podunkfla
ol' noodle haid

Postby Nitetimes » Sat Jan 13, 2007 12:01 am

Podunkfla wrote:I find Kirker urethanes as good as any other top line auto paint I've ever used. :thumbsup:

May have to give it a try then. Definitely good price on that stuff. I could do without the primer tho. I always use a lacquer sandable primer. It is easy to use and works great and I get lacquer thinner for about $25 for 5 gallon. Never had a problem with it under any paint.
Rich

ImageImage
-
The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to
keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves
against tyranny in government.
- Thomas Jefferson -
Personally, I carry a gun because I'm too young to die and too old to take a butt kickin'.
Nitetimes
7000 Club
7000 Club

Return to General Discussion