Power Converter Comparisons please

Anything electric, AC or DC

Power Converter Comparisons please

Postby Ken A Hood » Sun Jan 09, 2005 10:34 am

Anyone use an Iota converter, or a Progressive Dynamics (Inteli-Power ) converter? I've seen both advertised with the optional charge wizard/IQ-4 Microprocessor-controller(depending on the manufacturer).

They seem comparable in price and specs. Iota’s are "CERTIFIED 100% Continuous Duty Cycle" meaning the 30A model is rated @ 30 CONTINUOUS AMPS.

Yes, actual construction will begin soon.......I have revised my frame/wall section once again....pic will follow.
Disclaimer: I in no way resemble the avatar shown. Furthermore, I in no way have any affiliation to the Trailer Park Boys and more specifically Bubbles!
Ken A Hood
500 Club

Postby Ken A Hood » Fri Jan 14, 2005 12:08 pm

I guess I'm being "shunned" since I haven't started yet........... :cry:
But since I'm still purchasing parts etc, doesn't that count.....

I just bought my AC panel, with a GFIC already installed.

Description:A NEW 120V AC BREAKER PANEL. THIS IS PERFECT FOR ADDING A.C. SHORE POWER TO A SMALL BOAT. THE DIMENSIONS ARE 6"W X 6-1/8"H(OD) AND 5"W X 5-1/4" HOLE SIZE. THIS PANEL INCLUDES 3 BREAKERS(MAIN, BATT CHARGER, AND GFI OUTLET). THERE IS A GFCI OUTLET RIGHT ON THE PANEL FOR UNCOMPLICATED WIRING. THERE IS ALSO A REVERSE POLARITY WARNING LIGHT.
Disclaimer: I in no way resemble the avatar shown. Furthermore, I in no way have any affiliation to the Trailer Park Boys and more specifically Bubbles!
Ken A Hood
500 Club

Postby madjack » Fri Jan 14, 2005 12:30 pm

...Ken, don't worry a bout the boo hoo...it happens
is that unit a 12vdc to 120vac converter or is it a 120vac to 12vdc inverter and where did ya find it...looks like an elegant solution, what the price
madjack 8)
...I have come to believe that, conflict resolution, through violence, is never acceptable.....................mj
madjack
Site Admin

Postby Ken A Hood » Fri Jan 14, 2005 12:37 pm

madjack wrote:it happens
is that unit a 12vdc to 120vac converter or is it a 120vac to 12vdc inverter and where did ya find it...looks like an elegant solution, what the price
madjack 8)

Description:A NEW 120V AC BREAKER PANEL. THIS IS PERFECT FOR ADDING A.C. SHORE POWER TO A SMALL BOAT. THE DIMENSIONS ARE 6"W X 6-1/8"H(OD) AND 5"W X 5-1/4" HOLE SIZE. THIS PANEL INCLUDES 3 BREAKERS(MAIN, BATT CHARGER, AND GFI OUTLET). THERE IS A GFCI OUTLET RIGHT ON THE PANEL FOR UNCOMPLICATED WIRING. THERE IS ALSO A REVERSE POLARITY WARNING LIGHT.

It's just for my AC power, I already have a Blue Sea fuse box for the DC side.

It cost me $70.75 + $15 for shipping(since I'm in Canada eh)
Ken A Hood
500 Club

Postby madjack » Fri Jan 14, 2005 12:50 pm

...d'oh, stupid me, I guess I should have read text a little closer or been paying better attention (instantly preconceived notions are dangerous...eh)
madjack 8)
...I have come to believe that, conflict resolution, through violence, is never acceptable.....................mj
madjack
Site Admin

Postby Norm » Fri Jan 14, 2005 10:15 pm

Hi Ken,
Where did you get it?

Norm
Norm
Teardrop Master

Postby Eric Adams » Wed Jan 19, 2005 9:37 pm

Norm wrote:Hi Ken,
Where did you get it?

Norm

Yes...do share. Would look good in the galley... 8)
Eric Adams
The 300 Club

Postby Norm » Wed Jan 19, 2005 10:32 pm

Norm
Teardrop Master

Postby Ken A Hood » Wed Jan 19, 2005 10:47 pm

Yup, and the one they have up now is only at $20.00..................I paid more for mine :cry: But I also bought my power converter/suppy today as well. A Iota 30Amp model with the IQ-4 controller....

See I've started, kinda :D
Ken A Hood
500 Club

Postby Ken A Hood » Thu Jan 27, 2005 11:39 am

My AC panel arrived today. It looks well constructed, with a 30A main breaker, 1-15A(battery charger) and 1-10A(GFIC). All the internal wiring is 10AWG, and heat-shrunk at the connectors. The 2 circuits that need to be wired are labelled.
Since 1 circuit is for the GFIC, I plan on wiring all my wall outlets from the back of the GFIC plug.

My converter/power supply hasn't arrived yet, but I think it has a regular plug, (Don't have to hard-wire it to the 15A breaker) so I'll end up with a "spare" breaker.
Ken A Hood
500 Club

Return to Electrical Secrets